• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Your Off Season Wish List

Moustakas, Martinez, Cain, Walker...these are all fun names that keep getting thrown around, but there's lots of other FAs out there who still fit our needs. 

Jarrod Dyson for LF - speed, defense, baserunning. His 2017 slash of .238/.318/.358/.676 isn't exciting, but his WAR of 2.2 would be right behind Simmons and Trout. 
Carlos Santana for 1B - he's even played some RF this season. Wrong side of 30, but his BB to K ratio is almost 1:1, his K% is dropping, his BB% is maintaining, his LD% is increasing, and he works the count. Yes, lots of warts to his game, but a type of hitter that'd add some legitimate pressure middle of the order.
Logan Forsythe/Eduardo Nunez/Jed Lowrie for 2B/3B - just a normal, regular, run of the mill everyday big leaguer. Lowrie has lots of experience in AL West, solid bat, solid defender, versatile, and Nunez is fairly similar. ALso offers Angels flexibility with Valbuena, Marte, Cowart, Franklin, Fletcher. 
Curtis Granderson for LF - before you crucify me, keep in mind we may only need a 1-year stop gap before Hermosillo, the '18 FA class, a midseason trade, or even Jones. Granderson is carrying a .261/.367/.582/.949 OPS away from Citi Field this year, and since May 3rd, is slashing .273/.389/.574/.963 with a perfectly reasonable .299 BABip, 12 HRs, and 34 BB to 46 K. His early career issues with LHP have fizzled away too.
Jon Jay or Melky Cabrera for LF: 
These two have been solid contact/OBP guys who don't strike out much. Neither have more than 100 K's in a season, except Jon Jay once (103 in 2013)
Tired of Yunel Escobar? These two could fill our Yunel void. 
162 game averages for all three:
Escobar: .283/.350/.386/.736, OPS+ of 101 - 29 2B, 10 HR, 57 BB, 77 K
Cabrera: .286/.336/.418/.754, OPS+ of 104 - 33 2B, 13 HR, 46 BB, 79 K
Jon Jay: .287/.354/.384/.738, OPS+ of 103 - 26 2B, 6 HR, 39 BB, 95 K

Zack Cozart for 2B:
Age 25-30: .246/.289/.385/.674, OPS+ of 82
Age 31: .316/.395/.558/.952, OPS+ of 144
Has to be a fluke, right? No way someone could have their career change like that? 

Daniel Murphy:
Age 23-30: .288/.331/.424/.755, OPS+ of 109
Age 31-32: .345/.391/.590/.982, OPS+ of 153

Justin Turner:
Age 24-28: .260/.323/.361/.684, OPS+ of 92
Age 29-32: .309/.382/.507/.889, OPS+ of 142

Same theory, Logan Morrison for 1B/LF:
Age 22-28: .245/.325/.416/.741, OPS+ of 104
Age 29: .257/.368/.562/.930, OPS+ of 150

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Sign both Moustakas and Hosmer, let Cowart and Fletcher battle it out for the starting 2B job (whoever loses is our utility guy), Puello to LF. Sign Maybin on the cheap to be our insurance OF, 4th OF in case Puello doesn't workout. 

If Heaney,  Richards and Skaggs are healthy and log innings this season,  do nothing else.

RF Calhoun 

SS Simmons

CF Trout

1B Hosmer

DH Pujols 

3B Moustakas 

C Maldonado 

2B Cowart

LF Puello

-

SP Richards

SP Heaney

SP Skaggs

SP Meyer 

SP Shoemaker, Ramirez, N. Smith, Bridwell, Barria, Long, Morales, Scribner. Lots of options! 

Chuck do you really think that Pujols will get pushed down the lineup away from Trout? No way that happens.

There are some offseason trade targets that make sense too. Eppler has a penchant for acquiring guys in their walk year. 
Here's a few guys who may wind up being on the block as they're on rebuilding teams who may rather play prospects. 

Nick Markakis, OF:
A lot of walks, a lot of doubles. Braves really don't need him. Can play 1B too. 
As a Brave the last three years, .282/.358/.387/.782, OPS+ of 110

Patrick Corbin, SP:
He's become something of a forgotten man in Arizona, but he's only 28 next year, and the D'Backs have other SP prospects who may squeeze him out. 
Career: 4.19 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 100 ERA+, 3.97 FIP. 

Lonnie Chisenhall, OF:
He's having a career year in Cleveland - .305/.376/.578/.953, only 21 BB to 39 K. Only 29 next year, but they have Tyler Naquin in the wings. 
He could also slot to 1B if Santana walks this offseason, but it could be a good year for the Indians to sell high. 

Love Moustakas and Hosmer. Instant, major upgrade to our offense. While we're at it, get a left fielder who can hit.

Drop Pujols in the batting order. Please!!

...and no extension for Scioscia. He can have his farewell tour, but his time here is ending.

...and healthy pitchers.

That's my wish list for 2018.

Addison Reed is also high on my offseason list. He grew up an Angels fan and he's been dominant with the Mets. 
If he could be had on a hometown deal, he'd be worth it. We will need a vet anchor in our bullpen next year. We're potentially losing a lot of experience with Norris, Hernandez, Petit, Street, and Bailey all able to walk at the end of the year, and Morin and Alvarez will be out of options. 

Mike Minor has been a force as well, and could be a big add as a lefty reliever.

Escobar at 1B is kind of like picking your wife for your fantasy one night stand. I mean sure, some of us are still lucky enough to still be attracted to our wives (and even more lucky if our wives are attracted to us), but if you're fantasizing about a one-night stand are you really going to pick your wife over Margot Robbie or Gal Gadot?

Wish list ? Yu Darvish.  And if he opts out Justin Upton. We should have signed him 2 years ago.

i'd see if it's possible to retain Escobar on a short cheap deal.  Give Cowart his shot at 2b or 3b (if Escobar doesn't work out) and we'll just have to hope for the best with Cron and Valbuena. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Escobar at 1B is kind of like picking your wife for your fantasy one night stand. I mean sure, some of us are still lucky enough to still be attracted to our wives (and even more lucky if our wives are attracted to us), but if you're fantasizing about a one-night stand are you really going to pick your wife over Margot Robbie or Gal Gadot?

Apparently we have the same taste as 100% of the male population AJ.

Without getting into specifics.  I'd sign one big left handed bat.  Sign the best pitcher we can.  Hope Cowart holds down 3rd or 2nd.  

Then look to package some of our excess arms + Cron for an upgrade somewhere.  Shoemaker + Bridwell, + Cron = ???

18 minutes ago, California Cajun said:

Have a championship caliber team in place for 2020.  Quit recycling marginal players.  Don't overpay for someone who has seen his better days.

We have had three years of stagnation and I'm willing to wait awhile to get off this treadmill.

You're willing to wait another 3 years? 

I really don't see the Angels signing "name" guys on the wrong side of 30.  I think Arte has been burned too many times for that.  If anything, it'll be guys who can be productive stop-gap players like Jay Bruce (or even Cam Maybin), for example, who won't cost a lot in terms of years or dollars while buying time for all of these outfielders to develop. 

10 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Moustakas sucks ass and is having the typical contract year season. 

Moose has been pretty solid the last three years.

I'm still only interested if he is willing to take a decent discount to come home though. None of this 5/$90 or 6 year deal business.

32 minutes ago, halomatt said:

I really don't see the Angels signing "name" guys on the wrong side of 30.  I think Arte has been burned too many times for that.  If anything, it'll be guys who can be productive stop-gap players like Jay Bruce (or even Cam Maybin), for example, who won't cost a lot in terms of years or dollars while buying time for all of these outfielders to develop. 

I can really see Eppler signing a stopgap LF for one season.

Hermosillo could be pushing the bigs in '18, Jones may not be far behind, Pollock, Harper, Heyward, Chisenhall, Adam Jones, and Blackmon all could be FAs the next year, and if all of our SPs are healthy, you could flip one for a damn good controllable OF anytime next year.

3B and 2B as well could be filled internally between Cowart, Valbuena, and Marte. Fletcher is taking in SLC so far. I could see Eppler signing someone like Lowrie, Forsythe, Cozart, or Nunez - a guy who could play either position - and let the internal candidates fight for the other position.

Not saying we should rely on internal candidates exclusively, but there are plenty of stopgap type players that fit the 2018 configuration too.