• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

ettin

16 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

No they aren't. Everyone just calls them the Los Angeles Angels. Or The Angels. Or Trout and the other assholes. No one cares.

The team that Arte bought was the World Champion Anaheim Angels and that team will always be part of MLB history. The Los Angeles Angels haven't made it to the dance yet.

2005-2016 and counting....

So if they went back to being the Anaheim Angels and had to give up their 3b dollar tv deal.   How many of the people pissed about the name change would be about that ? 

Arte's plan worked, they made shit loads more money. Which makes it so they can buy more players.  Anyone that supports the Angels should find that reason enough to be fine with the name. 

18 hours ago, yk9001 said:

I read stupid stuff about it all the time . The name is a joke across the country . It's not on the everyday headlines but many times when the angels name comes up the stupid name is there just like if you walked around the office with your zipper unzipped or a piece of toilet paper stuck to your shoe . 

I have traveled for work pretty extensively the past 10 years.  I talk baseball with my coworkers in TX, MA, FL, AZ.   I have no memory of anyone discussing the name of the team.  They just referred to them as The Angels, or Angels.

I continue to believe that one of Arte's best moves was to change the Angels name to Los Angeles Angels (the original name of the team). The Halos had to add 'of Anaheim' to the name to meet the terms of the deal the Disney Corp. cut with the City of Anaheim.

In addition, it should be noted that in 1960 Gene Autry was granted 'the second Los Angeles franchise' -- he paid 'ransom' money to the O'Malley's for at least four years in Los Angeles...building the Big A in Anaheim did not change the 'second Los Angeles' franchise status.

The City of Anaheim spent a lot of money and goodwill suing Arte and the Angels franchise. They lost and then continue to pour more money into pursuing the case further only to compound their losses in dollars, goodwill and precedent in essentially confirming that Arte could name the team Los Angeles with or without "of Anaheim" or "Anaheim" as part of the name.

Today the "Anaheim Angels' conjure up images of periwinkle jersey's and uni's -- UGH !!!!

Also, today, I think the Los Angeles Angels name resonates better and has greater recognition nationwide -- whether that translates into more sales of hats, jerseys, Halos logo shirts and other stuff is subject to debate (I think it has - but when you have a team that has not seen the playoffs in a while -- well --sales of jerseys whatever logo/ name is on them will be down) .

Clearly -- in terms of selling the club to a new owner -- the Los Angeles name is a brand that helps with that effort.

Me? I like the Los Angeles Angels name ---but I was perfectly happy with and would have been satisfied with keeping the team -- the CALIFORNIA ANGELS.

2 hours ago, CALZONE said:

The team that Arte bought was the World Champion Anaheim Angels and that team will always be part of MLB history. The Los Angeles Angels haven't made it to the dance yet.

2005-2016 and counting....

The Expos relocated to Washington DC and hasn't made it to the dance under either name. 

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

So if they went back to being the Anaheim Angels and had to give up their 3b dollar tv deal.   How many of the people pissed about the name change would be about that ? 

Arte's plan worked, they made shit loads more money. Which makes it so they can buy more players.  Anyone that supports the Angels should find that reason enough to be fine with the name. 

There is zero evidence the name change had anything to do with this. The Angels were in the LA TV market before the name change, and ad buyers knew that. Fox paid the Angels $3 billion because the Dodgers were in the process of being sold, and Fox couldn't risk losing the rights to the Angels and Dodgers, because Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket probably would have collapsed.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/08/sports/la-sp-angels-fox-tv-20111209

50 minutes ago, Dollar Bill said:

There is zero evidence the name change had anything to do with this. The Angels were in the LA TV market before the name change, and ad buyers knew that. Fox paid the Angels $3 billion because the Dodgers were in the process of being sold, and Fox couldn't risk losing the rights to the Angels and Dodgers, because Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket probably would have collapsed.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/08/sports/la-sp-angels-fox-tv-20111209

It took away an excuse to pay less.  They didn't fight the city out of spite, they did it because it made a difference. 

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

It took away an excuse to pay less.  They didn't fight the city out of spite, they did it because it made a difference. 

Nope. The number of viewers the Angels could reach on TV did not change because the name did. The Angels didn't choose to fight the city; the city sued the Angels. 

6 minutes ago, Dollar Bill said:

Nope. The number of viewers the Angels could reach on TV did not change because the name did. The Angels didn't choose to fight the city; the city sued the Angels. 

But branding the team with LA in Artie's mind would increase marketing/advertising revenue.  Here's a question.  Have all teams increased in value at the same rate as the Angels since 2003?  

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But branding the team with LA in Artie's mind would increase marketing/advertising revenue.  Here's a question.  Have all teams increased in value at the same rate as the Angels since 2003?  

How much of that value has Arte shared with the fans? He certainly hasn't chosen to cross over that luxury tax threshold even though his neighbors the "Los Angeles" Dodgers continue to do so on a regular basis. The Dogs can afford it win or lose. 

I think that if Pujols and Hamilton would've delivered a championship or two, Arte would've continued to spend even more because his LA brand would've added even more value. Missed opportunities. 

2 hours ago, Dollar Bill said:

They knew the fight would come and moved forward anyway, again because in their estimation is was worth it. 

And it's impossible for you to say what fox would have paid if they hadn't worked to broaden their branding.  It's not even just the TV.  LA Angels is just more marketable then Anaheim Angels.  Whether you're talking about merchandise or viewership.  You don't have to be a marketing expert to understand that.  

In the end the butt hurt was and continues to be ridiculous.  Fans should be about whatever benefits the team IMO.  I guess I can't tell you how to be a fan.  Ultimately  though we're Angels fans.  The club.  The team doesn't belong to Anaheim or LA. 

Edited by UndertheHalo