• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Four Things to Do Right Now

1, wait until the magic date (which means club control for an additional year) and then bring Cowart up and play him.

2, trade Nolasco (he has some value), Norris (his value from this point on will never be higher than it is right now);

3. Can we get some value plus for Escobar right now?  Then trade him.

4. Trade Bedrosian -- his value moving forward may not be higher than right now....

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Does anyone have a real reason why they won't just give Cron every day AB's ?

I'll play devils advocate. 

They aren't going to take ABs away from Pujols.

Valbuena is signed through next year and we have 3 FA's in our current starting lineup. They expected him to cover for at least one. They really need him to produce.

That said, I disagree with everything I just wrote :)

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

How many people here honestly believe that CJ Cron is the starting 1B on the next Angels playoff team?

I don't know man.  I'd like to actually find out though.  All I know is, when CJ actually got regular ab's he was pretty decent.  The injury put him on the bench, then came back and hit decently again last year.  It was definitely a better situation then the disaster we have trying to platoon him with Luis Valbuena.  Who is certifiably garbage.

Edited by UndertheHalo

6 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don't know man.  I'd like to actually find out though.  All I know is, when CJ actually got regular ab's he was pretty decent.  The injury derailed him and he really hasn't ever got another shot.

If you're going to be a single tool player that tool shouldn't come and go as easily as his ability to hit seems to come and go. We really need a purge that leaves Albert as the last remaining unathletic RH bat clogging up the lineup

19 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If you're going to be a single tool player that tool shouldn't come and go as easily as his ability to hit seems to come and go. We really need a purge that leaves Albert as the last remaining unathletic RH bat clogging up the lineup

I'm just saying, what is there to lose in letting him have a long look.  Particularly this season.  Let's be real, the Angels aren't seriously competing this year.   You know that Arch.  He had almost twice as many AB's last year as he had in any other year of his career and he was pretty good !! If he comp'd those numbers this year he's probably our 2nd or 3rd best bat.  I just think it's hard to say his hit tool comes and goes when he doesn't really get a consistent opportunity.  Hitting is pretty fickle even for the best guys. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

15 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Lol are you for real

It's a concern.  It's not hard to come up with a list of teams that are horrible for 10 plus years.  Pirates, Royals, Brewers, etc.... You no doubt remember the Halo teams that were dog shit forever. 

the Angels have made the playoffs twice in almost the last 10 years dude.  There's reason for alarm. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I'm just saying, what is there to lose in letting him have a long look.  He had almost twice as many AB's last year as he had in any other year of his career and he was pretty good.  If he comp'd those numbers this year he's probably our 2nd or 3rd best bat.  I just think it's hard to say his hit tool comes and goes when he doesn't really get a consistent opportunity.  Hitting is pretty fickle even for the best guys. 

If he played Simmons level defense or ran bases well or had plate discipline it's a different story. I just can't see clogging up an important offensive position with his level of production when you already have to carry Albert at least through next season

13 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If he played Simmons level defense or ran bases well or had plate discipline it's a different story. I just can't see clogging up an important offensive position with his level of production when you already have to carry Albert at least through next season

Don't have to make a long term commitment to him.  Just let him have the AB's and see what we have.  And I think he's adequate defensively. 

We really shouldn't pretend like the Angels don't know what Cron is.  They've seen him get regular at bats for 2 years and that prompted Eppler to get someone to platoon with him.  Eppler thought so much of Cron he thought Marte was a better option, twice, this year.  Eppler may look at him and think he's a problem, not a personality problem, but as Arch points out his skill set is limited.  

When I see Cron, I see a guy that is streaky, has improved dramatically with the glove to where he is now an average defensive first baseman.  I see a guy that doesn't try to do too much on the basepaths, unlike some other guys on the team in recent years.  But he's also a guy that is swing happy and seldom draws a walk.  

If I'm being honest I think Eppler wants more versatility.  He likes guys like Valbuena defensively or Marte.  Even last year with Choi, putting him in LF.  Cron is incapable of anything like that.  I wouldn't rule out the Angels signing a Todd Frazier type in the offseason, if that truly is Epplers philosophy.  

9 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I'm just saying, what is there to lose in letting him have a long look.  Particularly this season.  Let's be real, the Angels aren't seriously competing this year.   You know that Arch.  He had almost twice as many AB's last year as he had in any other year of his career and he was pretty good !! If he comp'd those numbers this year he's probably our 2nd or 3rd best bat.  I just think it's hard to say his hit tool comes and goes when he doesn't really get a consistent opportunity.  Hitting is pretty fickle even for the best guys. 

I'm with Arch, although Cron deserves regular at bats to see if he can rediscover 2014-2016.   Besides, 1B is also not a really athletic position.  If your only base running clogs are DH and 1B, that isn't so bad. 

On Strad's post about Valbuena's defensive versatility: that's fine, but where's the beef (offense)?   How does someone hit so badly after being at least decent for Houston?  Is Angel Stadium's RF fence really that much of a deterrent for LHH's?  It may prevent some HR's, but the XBH's hitting off the wall should be no different.

18 hours ago, disarcina said:

1, wait until the magic date (which means club control for an additional year) and then bring Cowart up and play him.

2, trade Nolasco (he has some value), Norris (his value from this point on will never be higher than it is right now);

3. Can we get some value plus for Escobar right now?  Then trade him.

4. Trade Bedrosian -- his value moving forward may not be higher than right now....

Nobody wants to trade Trout to replenish the overall talent problem.

And everyone seems to see the "trade value might never be higher" angle on other players.

But nobody ever mentions the monster trade value window right now on Simmons?

The Angels could likely harvest more for Simmons now than they traded to get him.  He looks like he may be a far more complete player now with his bat.

I love the guy and I am not advocating getting rid of him.

But if we all routinely talk about what Trout would bring in a deal, where is the conversation on what Simmons would bring?

Trout is untouchable even if the offer was fair on paper.  You can't trade Mike Trout.  Most agree on that.  But for the right package, is Simmons untouchable?

I would say no.  I would take the call from other GMs and listen.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Nobody wants to trade Trout to replenish the overall talent problem.

And everyone seems to see the "trade value might never be higher" angle on other players.

But nobody ever mentions the monster trade value window right now on Simmons?

The Angels could likely harvest more for Simmons now than they traded to get him.  He looks like he may be a far more complete player now with his bat.

I love the guy and I am not advocating getting rid of him.

But if we all routinely talk about what Trout would bring in a deal, where is the conversation on what Simmons would bring?

Trout is untouchable even if the offer was fair on paper.  You can't trade Mike Trout.  Most agree on that.  But for the right package, is Simmons untouchable?

I would say no.  I would take the call from other GMs and listen.

The only way I see Eppler trading Simmons is if he were to get a really good defensive SS back in return and I'm talking exceptional defender type. Maybe someone like Orlando Arcia comes to mind but beyond that maybe I just don't see it happening. I think the Angels may even extend Simmons moving forward as his defense is so much better than most everyone else that it is likely to decline only to really good as he exceeds 30 years old down the line.