• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

A's are sellers: Nats acquire Doolittle and Madson

On 7/17/2017 at 4:27 PM, Troll Daddy said:

When you have over $200M invested into a season and 67 games left to play while being 3.5 games back ... it's best to wait it out a little longer before you surrender. 

Yea it looks bleak but wtf ... I'm sure Trout isn't ready to tuck his balls between his legs just yet

It's really how you look at it. Is what you're seeing on the field today the short term plan or the long term plan? 

Take a look at the Yankees, they only planned to contend in 2019 but they surprised themselves and everyone else with early success this season. Last night they pulled the trigger on a deal that basically says they're in the playoff hunt for 2017. 

So the Valbuena's, Espinosa's, Revere's and Maybin had to be a short term plan that just hasn't worked out. Hopefully Eppler has a better long term plan.

Another reason I bring this up is the reports about Skaggs, Richards and Heaney all preparing to make comebacks this season. If that's the case then we are preparing to contend so I assume that Eppler must have plans to get some bats before the deadline. Otherwise those comebacks are risky business at this point. 

1 minute ago, CALZONE said:

It's really how you look at it. Is what you're seeing on the field today the short term plan or the long term plan? 

Take a look at the Yankees, they only planned to contend in 2019 but they surprised themselves and everyone else with early success this season. Last night they pulled the trigger on a deal that basically says they're in the playoff hunt for 2017. 

So the Valbuena's, Espinosa's, Revere's and Maybin had to be a short term plan that just hasn't worked out. Hopefully Eppler has a better long term plan.

Another reason I bring this up is the reports about Skaggs, Richards and Heaney all preparing to make comebacks this season. If that's the case then we are preparing to contend so I assume that Eppler must have plans to get some bats before the deadline. Otherwise those comebacks are risky business at this point. 

His short term planned is tied to his long term plan.  Draft well, develop well, don't make dumb trades, wait for the right time to spend to fill holes for longer than a year or two. 

59 minutes ago, Stradling said:

His short term planned is tied to his long term plan.  Draft well, develop well, don't make dumb trades, wait for the right time to spend to fill holes for longer than a year or two. 

Well I agree but I also believe that moving forward Eppler is looking at another 3-5 years to build something solid. There's no reason to put all those rehabbing pitchers back in this season. 

50 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You have to pitch Richards this year. 

The only reason they would need to pitch him is to determine if they're going to keep him or DFA him. He's not going to be a guy that they will ask to do too much closing out the season. It's a sink or swim situation that the Angels must bring closure to. If he turns out not healthy then they need to shop for an Ace this offseason. 

• 9 months later...
On July 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM, OHTANILAND said:

Well I agree but I also believe that moving forward Eppler is looking at another 3-5 years to build something solid. There's no reason to put all those rehabbing pitchers back in this season. 

I agree 

The Nationals bolstered their weak (some said only weakness) by acquiring Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson from the A's in exchange for Blake Treinen and two prospects 

As we all know, the Nats failed to reach the World Series. 

Now, in 2018, Doolittle is pitching well with an era of 1.44 and whip of 0.53 (9 saves) . Madson, on the other hand, has an era of 4.19 and whip of 1.39. They are making a combined $12 million this year.

Meanwhile, Treinan has an era of 1.32 and a whip of 1.22 (8 saves) for the A's. He's making $2.15 million and is under club control for 2 more years. 

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

The Nationals bolstered their weak (some said only weakness) by acquiring Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson from the A's in exchange for Blake Treinen and two prospects 

As we all know, the Nats failed to reach the World Series. 

Now, in 2018, Doolittle is pitching well with an era of 1.44 and whip of 0.53 (9 saves) . Madson, on the other hand, has an era of 4.19 and whip of 1.39. They are making a combined $12 million this year.

Meanwhile, Treinan has an era of 1.32 and a whip of 1.22 (8 saves) for the A's. He's making $2.15 million and is under club control for 2 more years. 

While I really want us to get pen help, I kind of agree with this. Im not as up to speed as some on here about our farm, but it sounds promising. 

We want and should try and win "in the trout era", but we need to realize there will be another era after his contract ends...whether he stays or not.