• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney will pitch tonight (+ other injured)

2 hours ago, zenmaster said:

So Skaggs and Heaney back soon. What in the world is up with Richards and Shoe? I don't hear much about them after it was announced they were expected to miss one start each (months ago). 

Shoe was diagnosed with a nerve issue just before the break. He was shut down for about 10 days and has now been throwing for about 10 days. Close to getting off a mound. Seems like he's still probably 2 weeks away, at best. 

Richards started throwing just after the break. He has a long way to go, though. He didn't touch a ball for 3+ months. That's basically an offseason. Best case scenario for him I think is Sept 1.

(By the way, I'm not telling you anything I haven't written at ocregister.com. Go there every day. :) )

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Shoe was diagnosed with a nerve issue just before the break. He was shut down for about 10 days and has now been throwing for about 10 days. Close to getting off a mound. Seems like he's still probably 2 weeks away, at best. 

Richards started throwing just after the break. He has a long way to go, though. He didn't touch a ball for 3+ months. That's basically an offseason. Best case scenario for him I think is Sept 1.

So, Shoe possibly by mid August and Richards next season.

25 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

(By the way, I'm not telling you anything I haven't written at ocregister.com. Go there every day. :) )

That's incredibly depressing :D

13 minutes ago, krAbs said:

the one run was because of a fielding error by...heany...tried to throw to second to pick a guy off and the guy scored off of the bad throw.

Yeah -- I don't think the actual performance matters as much as the pitch count...   If he gets to around 85 pitchers he's close or ready to make his 2017 debut.   

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah -- I don't think the actual performance matters as much as the pitch count...   If he gets to around 85 pitchers he's close or ready to make his 2017 debut.   

Right - annoyed sarcasm aside, assignments like this are where you get the kinks out of your movements. You expect stupid errors like this while he gets back into it. That's sorta the point.

Also, I'd kinda like to see Skaggs have another start in AAA, even though he hit 85 pitches last night. He struck out a lot of people, but I can't help but feel that he isn't quite sharp yet. On the other hand...literally, who cares? So what if he comes up and gets lit up the first few starts?

34 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If reaching 85 pitches, I would still give Heaney one more minors start.   Then he can debut for 2017 around August 12.

31 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Right - annoyed sarcasm aside, assignments like this are where you get the kinks out of your movements. You expect stupid errors like this while he gets back into it. That's sorta the point.

Also, I'd kinda like to see Skaggs have another start in AAA, even though he hit 85 pitches last night. He struck out a lot of people, but I can't help but feel that he isn't quite sharp yet. On the other hand...literally, who cares? So what if he comes up and gets lit up the first few starts?

Honestly, not sure a bad Skaggs is any worse than the usual from Nolasco or Chavez.   The sooner he gets to throwing meaningful innings the better.  Skaggs just needs to show he can avoid injury -- Richards too whenever he gets around to pitching again.   

Heaney appears to tire around 60 pitches. Gave up 3 hits and 2 runs over the last 10 or so pitches, and is now sitting around 70. I think I'm fine with bringing him up now and finishing stretching him out over his next couple starts in the majors. Thats about how far Bridwell was getting when he first came up.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

But we so enjoy the private access we get to you here at Angelswin.com, the Mar-A-Lago of the West Coast, Jeff! :D

1. Some predictions for when #Angels are playing again: This week: Calhoun, Maybin Next week: Skaggs Week of 8/14: Heaney, Shoemaker

Richards, Meyer, Street, Bailey .... all still too hard to guess. Haven't thrown off a mound yet.

It'll be important to see these guys  before the end this season. Fact is, we've been derailed two consecutive years by injuries. I'm not convinced Eppler will go into 2018 relying on the same players that took the rug out from under him in 2016 and 2017.

So I think it's important for Richards, Heaney, Skaggs to all come back healthy and pitch well. Getting Shoe and Meyer back and healthy would be great too.

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

It'll be important to see these guys  before the end this season. Fact is, we've been derailed two consecutive years by injuries. I'm not convinced Eppler will go into 2018 relying on the same players that took the rug out from under him in 2016 and 2017.

So I think it's important for Richards, Heaney, Skaggs to all come back healthy and pitch well. Getting Shoe and Meyer back and healthy would be great too.

there are no #1 SP available this offseason. having said that, the angels need to attack the SP market and make wise investments on the mid level guys that can outperform their contracts. they have to mine for two diamonds. hopefully, eppler and his staff have the intellectual resources to identify, correctly, who those players are. nolasco and chavez need to just go away. at that point, it's a free for all between the final spots and the bullpen. i have absolutely no problem with using any of them out of the bullpen. let them throw high pressure pitches, but significantly fewer than a SP's workload. if they can't hold up to that usage, then their careers were over anyway. that would not only be an effective way to control the innings for so many injured players, but also allow the ballclub to maximize their impact on the field.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Cannot wait til Skaggs, Heaney, Shoemaker and Richards are all in the rotation. 

Kick Nolasco and Chavez to the curb. Maybe the Angels go with a 6 man rotation after that with Meyer/Bridwell/Ramirez?

IDK if I trust Ramirez yet. I wouldn't be opposed to trying to get his era down a little (how many good starts in a row would it take to get his era below 4?) and selling him, or moving him to the pen as a long reliever/spot starter.

27 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Cannot wait til Skaggs, Heaney, Shoemaker and Richards are all in the rotation. 

Kick Nolasco and Chavez to the curb. Maybe the Angels go with a 6 man rotation after that with Meyer/Bridwell/Ramirez?

Mike Scioscia notes Jesse Chavez headed to the bullpen this weekend. Scibner starts Friday, Skaggs Saturday & Nolasco Sunday. #Angels

This probably deserves its own thread

Edited by John Smith