• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Sensational catch by Jahmai Jones

Chuck

In addition to having 4-out-6 multi-hit contests, including hitting a HR today (6), Jones made an incredible catch today in Low-Class A. 

Check it out.

41 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nice. Anyone know which of the young outfield studs is the best center fielder? And if we were to posit major league positions for them, where do they they project? Just wondering who is going to push Trout to left in 2020-21.

Jahmai is the best defensive fielder of the bunch, though Hermosillo is solid in his own right. I haven't seen enough of Adell and Deveaux to say one way or the other if they're better than Jones. They both have better speed and arms, so maybe.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

Jahmai is the best defensive fielder of the bunch, though Hermosillo is solid in his own right. I haven't seen enough of Adell and Deveaux to say one way or the other if they're better than Jones. They both have better speed and arms, so maybe.

Thanks. What about Pearson? Marsh?

Not to distract from the thread topic, but I still can't believe the Angels have at least six future impact outfielders in Jones, Hermosillo, Adell, Marsh, Pearson, and Deveaux - not to mention the other Dominicans that were just signed. I don't expect all six to become stars, but I think it quite possible--even likely--that most of them become regular major leaguers, and one or two of them stars. Trout who? jk.

Anyhow, Hermosillo will presumably arrive first, so he'll either be the 4th outfielder or left fielder...or possibly right fielder if Calhoun is traded. When Jahmai arrives, assuming Trout is still an Angel I could see him taking CF. When Marsh, Adell, Pearson, Deveaux arrive..well, may the best men win. But presumably two or three will flame out and/or be traded. In 2021 our starting outfield will be some variation of:

LF: Trout

CF: Jones/Adell/Hermosillo/Marsh/Pearson/Deveaux (one of)

RF: One of the above

4th: One of the above

Traded/flame out/minors: 2-3 of the above

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Thanks. What about Pearson? Marsh?

Not to distract from the thread topic, but I still can't believe the Angels have at least six future impact outfielders in Jones, Hermosillo, Adell, Marsh, Pearson, and Deveaux - not to mention the other Dominicans that were just signed. I don't expect all six to become stars, but I think it quite possible--even likely--that most of them become regular major leaguers, and one or two of them stars. Trout who? jk.

Anyhow, Hermosillo will presumably arrive first, so he'll either be the 4th outfielder or left fielder...or possibly right fielder if Calhoun is traded. When Jahmai arrives, assuming Trout is still an Angel I could see him taking CF. When Marsh, Adell, Pearson, Deveaux arrive..well, may the best men win. But presumably two or three will flame out and/or be traded. In 2021 our starting outfield will be some variation of:

LF: Trout

CF: Jones/Adell/Hermosillo/Marsh/Pearson/Deveaux (one of)

RF: One of the above

4th: One of the above

Traded/flame out/minors: 2-3 of the above

Pearson's arm just won't play up in the OF unless something drastic happens. Marsh is athletic but from what I'm understand he's better suited for RF.

I've  found there tends to be a gap between where prospects project to be and what role the Angels allow them to be in, a gap other teams have taken advantage of by acquiring these players.

Hermosillo has the skills to turn into a full fledged stud in the majors. Power, speed, patience, defense, youth...

The Angels should open a spot for him and trust him, but something lingering in my mind tells me they're going to give him the yo-yo treatment between AAA and MLB before they trade him or lose him. 

But I think if the Angels play it right, Hermosillo would arrive mid 2018, Thaiss 2019, Jones and Marsh would arrive 2020, Adell in 2021, Deveau and Nonie in 2022. A lot of incoming talent.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Pearson's arm just won't play up in the OF unless something drastic happens. Marsh is athletic but from what I'm understand he's better suited for RF.

I've  found there tends to be a gap between where prospects project to be and what role the Angels allow them to be in, a gap other teams have taken advantage of by acquiring these players.

Hermosillo has the skills to turn into a full fledged stud in the majors. Power, speed, patience, defense, youth...

The Angels should open a spot for him and trust him, but something lingering in my mind tells me they're going to give him the yo-yo treatment between AAA and MLB before they trade him or lose him. 

But I think if the Angels play it right, Hermosillo would arrive mid 2018, Thaiss 2019, Jones and Marsh would arrive 2020, Adell in 2021, Deveau and Nonie in 2022. A lot of incoming talent.

So if Pearson doesn't have the arm for even LF, what do you do with him? Convert him to 2B? Anyhow, you don't need much of an arm for LF.

And yeah, my guy has been RF for Marsh. I also like your timeline - that's exactly what I would have said, although am hopeful Thaiss will earn a September call-up next year.

Of all the players listed, I think Nonie has the highest bust potential. Too soon to say with Deveaux.

Anyhow, it seems like come 2021, the Angels will have a really nice problem of too much talent in the outfield. Presumably someone will be traded before hand, but I'm wondering if all of these guys develop well, they'll consider converting one or more to another position.

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Johan Sala and Ryan Vega have a shot at sticking in that wave of outfielders too. Hunter as well, though with his age I think he needs to really show something to jump into contention.

Sanger, Lund, Montgomery, Gibbons, and Foster have all shown some promise too in a slightly more advanced class.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Johan Sala and Ryan Vega have a shot at sticking in that wave of outfielders too. Hunter as well, though with his age I think he needs to really show something to jump into contention.

Sanger, Lund, Montgomery, Gibbons, and Foster have all shown some promise too in a slightly more advanced class.

Thanks for reminding me! I'm big on Sala, Sanger, Lund and Montgomery. They aren't in the same class as others like Jones, Adell and Marsh, but that doesn't mean they won't be solid major leaguers.

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

So if Pearson doesn't have the arm for even LF, what do you do with him? Convert him to 2B? Anyhow, you don't need much of an arm for LF.

And yeah, my guy has been RF for Marsh. I also like your timeline - that's exactly what I would have said, although am hopeful Thaiss will earn a September call-up next year.

Of all the players listed, I think Nonie has the highest bust potential. Too soon to say with Deveaux.

Anyhow, it seems like come 2021, the Angels will have a really nice problem of too much talent in the outfield. Presumably someone will be traded before hand, but I'm wondering if all of these guys develop well, they'll consider converting one or more to another position.

I don't know, hopefully Pearson gets stronger. I have watched enough to see it doesn't play anywhere but LF for now. And yeah, I think some trades and positional changes are in order.

I think eventually we'll see Adell in CF, Trout in RF, Jones in LF and Marsh at DH.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Thanks for reminding me! I'm big on Sala, Sanger, Lund and Montgomery. They aren't in the same class as others like Jones, Adell and Marsh, but that doesn't mean they won't be solid major leaguers.

Yeah I see our OF prospects in two separate groups. We have the slightly more advanced, lower ceiling, higher floor guys like Lund, Sanger, Montgomery, Gibbons, Foster who could be on the cusp by end of '18. If we could get one Calhoun-esque player out of that crop it'd be huge. I think Jonah Todd could climb into this wave by next year too.

And then I see our younger guys in another wave; Adell, Jones, Marsh, Pearson, Deveaux, Sala, Vega. Fingers crossed we get one star and one everyday player out of that crop.

Hunter Jr. could wind up slotting into either wave depending on how/if he develops.

Hermosillo, to me, is a step ahead of all simply because I think he could step into a 4th OF role by end of this year if necessary.

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yes, the outfield is deep. Add Jonah Todd to this list. That said, all of these guys you mention project as backups, or mediocre starters at best. Maybe one of them breaks through and is average plus.

5 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I don't know, hopefully Pearson gets stronger. I have watched enough to see it doesn't play anywhere but LF for now. And yeah, I think some trades and positional changes are in order.

I think eventually we'll see Adell in CF, Trout in RF, Jones in LF and Marsh at DH.

Trout in RF? His arm and speed play better in LF. Adell throws 95 and with Jones defense, I see LF Trout, CF Jones, RF Adell. If Marsh proves to be better than Jones, maybe he plays RF and Adell is in CF.

40 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, the outfield is deep. Add Jonah Todd to this list. That said, all of these guys you mention project as backups, or mediocre starters at best. Maybe one of them breaks through and is average plus.

Trout in RF? His arm and speed play better in LF. Adell throws 95 and with Jones defense, I see LF Trout, CF Jones, RF Adell. If Marsh proves to be better than Jones, maybe he plays RF and Adell is in CF.

He is a better fit for LF, but his arm has improved enough that he can be put in RF no problem.  And typically, you want your better defender in RF, which Trout, even if he isn't a CF anymore by the time he's 29, would still make for a rock solid corner OF.  Personally, I'd put my best arm in LF, mostly because plays at the plate more frequently come from a LF throwing, and not a RF. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jacob Pearson played CF again tonight and gunned down a runner trying to advance to 3B.

The video I saw of Pearson's arm was like watching a dog eat a popsicle.  It was so bad that it just didn't make sense.  Mechanically weird and awkward.  As if he literally never learned how to throw or he was injured.  Like in instructs they would show him one thing and it would be like 'oh' 'ok' and it would be like starting anew.  

They've got actual prospects at 2 of 3 OF positions for every level at AA or below (almost).  Not every one of them is going to be a star.  There are couple obvious ones that have more upside but I implore anyone to stratify the rest appropriately.  And Cesar Puello is going to be a major leaguer for someone.  

AA: Hermosillo, Gibbons, Sanger (just promoted)

A+: Montgomery, Foster, Lund

A: Jones

Orem: Todd, Hunter, Vega, Marsh.  My guess is that Hunter and maybe Vega get a promo soon.  Marsh had a good shot until he got injured. 

AZL: Sala, Pearson, Del Valle, Adell, Barnes

DR+: Deveaux and others

good problems as long as they all get enough exposure.