• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels' Adell makes mid-season Top-100 Prospects list

58 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Matt Thaisis and Jahmai Jones have been nothing short of underwhelming. Pretty disappointed to see them regress.

Jones hasn't regressed.  He tore up Orem but struggled in short time at A last year.  He's improved at A over a larger sample.  He's 2.2 years younger than the avg player.  

He's appropriate for a fringy top 100 guy relative to his age and has an ops of .835 over his last 43 games now that he's gotten adjusted.  Might not turn out to be a superstar, but still has start potential.  

Thaiss hasn't done poorly but for a guy who was supposed to be an advanced bat playing 1b, I agree he's been disappointing this year so far.  Hitting tons of roll over grounders.  

3 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Jo seems certain to hit for more power than Maybin. Watching the video makes me think Eric Davis might be a better comp

I wonder how many people remember how studly Eric Davis was when he wasn't injured -- the dude was such an amazing talent.  It was s total testament to his athletic ability that he was able to hang around as long as he did despite all the injuries... Davis ended his career with an OPS+ of 125 and nearly 300 bombs and over 300 SBs...   

33 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I wonder how many people remember how studly Eric Davis was when he wasn't injured -- the dude was such an amazing talent.  It was s total testament to his athletic ability that he was able to hang around as long as he did despite all the injuries... Davis ended his career with an OPS+ of 125 and nearly 300 bombs and over 300 SBs...   

He stood with his hands too low and didn't take a lot of pitches. Everything he accomplished was on pure athleticism. What kind of luck does it take to lacerate a kidney making a game winning catch in the World Series?

17 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Werent people calling the angels out immediatelly after picking ward? Or am i remembering wrong?

Actually people on here were blaming Scioscia.  Yet all those guys in the war room were all Jerry's guys and the video of those guys drafting Ward looked like Tdawg will look when Trout ends up in the Body edition of ESPN the magazine.  

13 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He was obviously frustrated with the way things were done here. I don't want to turn this back into a defend Jerry thread, but we can never really know. Maybe Jerry will actually be a good fit for Seattle when he wasn't here.

He will be a good fit up there, for the Halos and every other AL team.

12 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

I still don't understand how they passed on Blake Rutherford, who fell right into their lap for Thaiss. 

Thaiss went for 500k below slot.  Rutherford went for 840k over slot.  Rutherford was old for a high school guy.  Not that he's old for A ball at age 20 right now, but he's got a wRC+ of 106.  Angels probably don't draft Marsh if they don't take Thaiss.  

Long way to go with all these guys.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Thaiss went for 500k below slot.  Rutherford went for 840k over slot.  Rutherford was old for a high school guy.  Not that he's old for A ball at age 20 right now, but he's got a wRC+ of 106.  Angels probably don't draft Marsh if they don't take Thaiss.  

Long way to go with all these guys.  

I'd trade Rutherford and Marsh for Thaiss and everyone else drafted in the first 10 picks.  Yeah, I know that means Chris Rodriguez. 

Jam Jones & Marsh > Blake Rutherford. They're both the same age, but Jones has outperformed him thus far this season. 

Thaiss will eventually start hitting and showing more pop too. I think he'll be fine. 

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm a bit worried and disappointed with both Thaiss and Jones. I know Jones is young and both are having ok years, but I was just expecting more.

As for Thaiss, I'm caught between thinking he's another sorta dud like Cron and Cowart, to thinking he'll break out at any moment and start killing the ball. But his performance this year is not what one would for from a first round college first baseman. He should be dominating A+.

Jones has like an .830 OPS over his last 50 games. He had an awful start. We have to remember he's still over 2 years younger than the average player in A ball. He's not going to be Trout, obviously but I'd say he's still on track to be at A+ in 2018, and AA in 2019.

Thaiss is definitely disappointing but his splits are quite good. He'll be at Mobile by the end of the year.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Jones has like an .830 OPS over his last 50 games. He had an awful start. We have to remember he's still over 2 years younger than the average player in A ball. He's not going to be Trout, obviously but I'd say he's still on track to be at A+ in 2018, and AA in 2019.

Thaiss is definitely disappointing but his splits are quite good. He'll be at Mobile by the end of the year.

Jones has a .668 OPS over his last 31 games. Had a great may and that's been it. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jam Jones & Marsh > Blake Rutherford. They're both the same age, but Jones has outperformed him thus far this season. 

Thaiss will eventually start hitting and showing more pop too. I think he'll be fine. 

What do scouts see in Rutherford that they don't see in Jones? How does BA rank Rutherford 35th, while Jones can't even crack the top 100?

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What do scouts see in Rutherford that they don't see in Jones? How does BA rank Rutherford 35th, while Jones can't even crack the top 100?

Rutherford hasn't shown any power, he's just projectable. Jones is the same age. 

I'd put money down that Jones ends up being a better major league of the two. 

Baseball America has had many top-100 prospects flame out, while others who never cracked the list became successful major leaguers, including all-stars. 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Rutherford hasn't shown any power, he's just projectable. Jones is the same age. 

I'd put money down that Jones ends up being a better major league of the two. 

Baseball America has had many top-100 prospects flame out, while others who never cracked the list became successful major leaguers, including all-stars. 

Jones is a year younger.  I think they end up being pretty equal as major leaguers (Rutherford is a lefty playing in Yankee Stadium), which is to say I think they'll both end up being average or slightly above average starting OF's.  I think Rutherford will be ranked higher because he was drafted higher, skipped an additional year or Rookie Ball and is a Yankee.  He's also form So-Cal, and has proven himself against much better competition than anything Jones saw as a prep.  But true talent rises to the top every time.  It all evens out, no matter where you're from.  Jones truly is a talent.  Great strength, athleticism, instincts, humble, intelligence.  It's all there. 

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm a bit worried and disappointed with both Thaiss and Jones. I know Jones is young and both are having ok years, but I was just expecting more.

As for Thaiss, I'm caught between thinking he's another sorta dud like Cron and Cowart, to thinking he'll break out at any moment and start killing the ball. But his performance this year is not what one would for from a first round college first baseman. He should be dominating A+.

I really wouldn't worry too much. Jones athleticism, drive and intelligence will allow him to make good on all that potential. He isn't a raw athlete trying to play baseball. He's a professional ball player-athlete. He'll probably hit .270/.350 with 30 DB 15 HR 30 SB and very good defense. Basically what I expect from Maybin.

Thaiss has such a pretty, repeatable, simple swing, and he's much stronger, more athletic than he looks in pictures. The power will develop in a couple years and I think he'll turn into a .280/.380 40 DB 20 HR hitter with great defense at first base. Not great, but good.

Both will be average or slightly above for their position. Jones all around game should turn him into an AJ Polloxk or Cam Maybin type while Thaiss maybe an Eric Hosmer type.