• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels' Adell makes mid-season Top-100 Prospects list

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

One...   1/2....

I guess it shows you how difficult projecting these guys can be.....I get it---heck the NBA draft projections for next year include guys who haven't played a minute in college or are 18 year old European kids---but I'd rather wait at least a year and see what they look like with a little pro ball under their belt than rely on tools and Ballard HS stats....

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

@96 Jo Adell

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-midseason-top-100-prospects-july-7/#K8ikUTwi6WxZfBEj.97

Try not to be mad at who is @2 and the sad reality the Angels pissed that opportunity away.

Did the Angels ever have a true shot at "Junior"?  Seems the Angels were in the penalty box during the time he was available.  Or is that what you're suggesting?

9 hours ago, DMVol said:

I guess it shows you how difficult projecting these guys can be.....I get it---heck the NBA draft projections for next year include guys who haven't played a minute in college or are 18 year old European kids---but I'd rather wait at least a year and see what they look like with a little pro ball under their belt than rely on tools and Ballard HS stats....

Honestly, if we had 5 guys in the top 100 I'd feel the same way -- it's all malarky..    These rankings lists are basically all about projection...   They will at times ignore stats and press on with a ranking based on what the player MIGHT become .vs what he's actually shown in games.

I posted it because I know a lot of people here are eager to see the Angels mentioned in the top 100, but I put very little weight into it personally.   That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Angels have multiple guys crack the top 100 by season's end.  Marsh was turning a lot of heads, Jones struggled out of the gate but he's done little to dim his prospect status IMO.

9 hours ago, halomatt said:

Did the Angels ever have a true shot at "Junior"?  Seems the Angels were in the penalty box during the time he was available.  Or is that what you're suggesting?

They were linked to him because of the relationship already in place between the family and the Angels, he had taken BP, they were very familiar with him.....  But... then those guys all got fired and the smartest guy in the room personally scouted Baldoquin and declared him MLB ready -- just needed some at bats.   Best of all, Vlad Jr was signed for half what it took to sign Baldoquin.

I'm pretty good at letting go of crap but this one is right there with Terry Collins' destruction of Jason Dickson's arm on my personal shit lists.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

.....Marsh was turning a lot of heads, Jones struggled out of the gate but he's done little to dim his prospect status IMO.....

Trout was obviously a very good prospect, 1st round pick, but it didn't take long in the minors for the scouts to realize he might go beyond very good to special.....Marsh could carve that kind of path if he keeps it up this summer (small sample size but impressive---maybe he goes from good to very good)....unfair to him to even mention that but his numbers have been awfully good....

17 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm not any more mad at missing the boat on Vlad Jr. than I am about us not drafting Bo Bichette or Blake Rutherford.

I think the point IP was making is we had a major in with Vlad Sr. and his son, Jr., used to hang around the ballpark and with Arte and gang all the time. Dipoto blew his wad on some lite hitting middle infielder that nobody ranked highly at all rather than saving $$$ to sign someone who was very close to the team, in fact, grew up watching his dad play for the Angels in Orange County.

Dumb Dumb Dipoto. 

From Baseball America:

Jordon Adell, dh, Angels. The 10th overall pick last month made his pro debut Thursday and went 1-for-2 in the Rookie-level Arizona League against the Athletics and the No. 6 overall pick Austin Beck, who was 0-for-4. A super-explosive athlete, Adell made hard contact and showed his plus-plus speed, according to the ubiquitous Bill Mitchell.

Top 100 lists essentially handicap how good a players major league career is going to be.  

A good comp for Adell is actually playing a solid LF/CF for the halos right now.  both drafted with the 10th pick in the first round.  Both tall lanky CFers.  Both from the south.  Both with plus plus speed. There are probably other similarities I'm forgetting.  :)  

Just now, Dochalo said:

Top 100 lists essentially handicap how good a players major league career is going to be.  

A good comp for Adell is actually playing a solid LF for the halos right now.  both drafted with the 10th pick in the first round.  Both tall lanky CFers.  Both from the south.  Both with plus plus speed. There are probably other similarities I'm forgetting.  :)  

I can see that, though Adell has much more raw power & in-game power than Maybin.  

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

I can see that, though Adell has much more raw power & in-game power than Maybin.  

when Cam started in the minors, he hit 14hrs in 420 pa as a 20yo in A+/AA.  So people thought his power would develop more.  But I agree that Jor-Ell (kinda hope that nickname sticks cuz its so lame) has more raw power.  

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Reminds me of how Dipoto blew his load on Ward. Scroll to the 3 minute mark. That's where these idiots celebrate a 100th + projected pick at pick 26. Gives me a laugh every time. 

Damn that's embarrassing.  Makes sense though when you let Jim Parsons make your picks for you.  

25 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Reminds me of how Dipoto blew his load on Ward. Scroll to the 3 minute mark. That's where these idiots celebrate a 100th + projected pick at pick 26. Gives me a laugh every time. 

Freakin clown. 

Ric Wilson - "I love it when a plan comes together!"

When your plan is to draft someone no one else wants, 80 freakin picks too high, then yeah, your plan is going to come together. Idiot.

13 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Freakin clown. 

Ric Wilson - "I love it when a plan comes together!"

When your plan is to draft someone no one else wants, 80 freakin picks too high, then yeah, your plan is going to come together. Idiot.

They probably could have landed him in the 3rd round. Ugh

And it still would have been a bad pick.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

They probably could have landed him in the 3rd round. Ugh

And it still would have been a bad pick.

The problem I have with the Ward pick is the lack of perceived depth in their scouting of Ward. He had the tools of a first rounder, and so I don't blame them. The power, the athleticism, the arm, the build. It was all there, but if that's all you're scouting then you aren't doing your job.

They completely missed what everyone else suspected, which was a lack of instinct handling a pitching staff, inability to block pitches in the dirt despite the best coaching, and a lack of pitch recognition at the plate, and thus an inability to make good on that "thump" he has in his bat.

These flaws are fine in the draft, they really are. But in the third round, from a high school player. From a collegiate athlete in the first round? Inexcusable. That should've been enough to get someone fired.