• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mystery Angels Prospect?

ettin

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nice to see -- but he's back in AA...   

I'm pretty excited to see Jahmai Jones triple slash line where it is currently...    Both Hermosillo and Jones have rebounded nicely from awful awful starts...   

Weren't people saying something about Burlington being a very tough place for a hitter at the start of the year because of the weather or something? 

What scares me about Sherman Johnson is that while he's mastered AA ball, his OPS in almost 600 AAA at bats over the past 2 seasons is in the .600s.   Why is it that he is mastering other levels in his 2nd year, but not AAA in his 2nd year?   Maxed out?   Can't handle high altitude baseball?

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

What scares me about Sherman Johnson is that while he's mastered AA ball, his OPS in almost 600 AAA at bats over the past 2 seasons is in the .600s.   Why is it that he is mastering other levels in his 2nd year, but not AAA in his 2nd year?   Maxed out?

Probably.  Dude turns 27 in a week.  If he can't conquer AAA by now, not sure how he'll ever amount to much in the bigs.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Weren't people saying something about Burlington being a very tough place for a hitter at the start of the year because of the weather or something? 

I don't recall, but I really hate having that place as our low-A team.  For me, it's hard to get a real gauge on how well or poorly a guy is doing because while I can see the weather in the Midwest impacting performances the park itself it really kinda hitter friendly.    Hate that park.  

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

What scares me about Sherman Johnson is that while he's mastered AA ball, his OPS in almost 600 AAA at bats over the past 2 seasons is in the .600s.   Why is it that he is mastering other levels in his 2nd year, but not AAA in his 2nd year?   Maxed out?

He had a slow start to the season. His BABIP was pretty low in the first month or so. His batting profile combined with his above average defense gives him a chance to be an everyday player in my opinion. He needs the opportunity though and he, along with Cowart, may get it soon.

Just now, ettin said:

He had a slow start to the season. His BABIP was pretty low in the first month or so. His batting profile combined with his above average defense gives him a chance to be an everyday player in my opinion. He needs the opportunity though and he, along with Cowart, may get it soon.

Sherm has a history of posting stupidly low BABIP for stretches -- he's like the anti-Ichiro in that regard.   Always came across as an oddity to me.

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It is a pitcher's park in a pitcher's league, but I prefer that to Salt Lake or Orem.  It gives you a much better idea as to where a prospect's true performance is.  The same with Inland Empire.  Gives us a better read.  And to be fair, the Cal League isn't that bad, it's mostly Rancho and Lancaster. 

Just now, Scotty@AW said:

It is a pitcher's park in a pitcher's league, but I prefer that to Salt Lake or Orem.  It gives you a much better idea as to where a prospect's true performance is.  The same with Inland Empire.  Gives us a better read.  And to be fair, the Cal League isn't that bad, it's mostly Rancho and Lancaster. 

Lancaster makes even SLC look like the old Arkansas AA park until this season.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

Pitcher's park?  http://www.statcorner.com/team/420/2017/Burlington Bees  

PARK FACTORS (LHB / RHB)
K: 92 96   nB: 103 101
gbH: 101 96   ofH: 94 102
1B: 97 94   GB: 100 99
2/3B: 97 125   FB: 114 110
HR: 150 111   LD: 90 90
Runs: 108 109   IF: 107 111

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Pitcher's park?  http://www.statcorner.com/team/420/2017/Burlington Bees  

PARK FACTORS (LHB / RHB)
K: 92 96   nB: 103 101
gbH: 101 96   ofH: 94 102
1B: 97 94   GB: 100 99
2/3B: 97 125   FB: 114 110
HR: 150 111   LD: 90 90
Runs: 108 109   IF: 107 111

Historically and comparatively, yes it is.  It plays more honest than Cedar Rapids did. 

One thing I'll say about Burlington, and the midwest league in general... it's cold until mid-May there. So it's tough to hit there for the first 6 or so weeks of the season. 

Games are either getting snowed, iced or rained out, so you cannot get into a rhythm, or it's just shitty weather conditions to hit in. 

19 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Historically and comparatively, yes it is.  It plays more honest than Cedar Rapids did. 

Well, no idea what information your basing your opinion on but I can tell you that the information at StatsInc has it as a hitters park in all but one season the last 12 years, same as the data at Statcorner dating back to 2007.   It's tended to play closer to neutral for lefties, but as whole all the data out there shows it's one of Low A's better hitters parks.   This recent baseball america article pretty much mirrors what the other sources say -- http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/new-way-think-ballpark-factors/#fVUxJ3AC65i8TYZw.97 it's 113 run index is the highest in the Midwest league. 

Also worth noting that it lists Inland Empire as a Pitchers paradise.   So people can stop calling it a hitter's park too.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Well, no idea what information your basing your opinion on but I can tell you that the information at StatsInc has it as a hitters park in all but one season the last 12 years, same as the data at Statcorner dating back to 2007.   It's tended to play closer to neutral for lefties, but as whole all the data out there shows it's one of Low A's better hitters parks.   This recent baseball america article pretty much mirrors what the other sources say -- http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/new-way-think-ballpark-factors/#fVUxJ3AC65i8TYZw.97 it's 113 run index is the highest in the Midwest league. 

Also worth noting that it lists Inland Empire as a Pitchers paradise.   So people can stop calling it a hitter's park too.

Did anyone call Inland Empire a hitter's paradise? I heard it was neutral years ago but hasn't played like that. I actually don't think the Cal League is that bad, it's mostly Rancho and Lancaster. Inland Empire, Stockton and San Jose aren't bad.

Just now, Scotty@AW said:

Did anyone call Inland Empire a hitter's paradise? I heard it was neutral years ago but hasn't played like that. I actually don't think the Cal League is that bad, it's mostly Rancho and Lancaster. Inland Empire, Stockton and San Jose aren't bad.

Re-read what I said..   I said hitters park --- the article called it a PITCHER'S paradise....  but.... Yes.. people have.   I'd go find the posts that say as much if I felt it was worth it but I do not.  I can however tell you it chaps me every time I see it said.  

The Cal League was a notoriously hitter happy park for decades -- that's changed in recent years and with High Desert and Bakersfield gone an argument can be made it's a pitcher's league now.  Of the 8 remaining franchises 5 of them have played like pitcher's parks over the last three seasons.   Still for many the perception that it's a hitter league seems to remain.

51 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Sorry Ettin.  But reading this thread was trying to get my 8 year old to remember where she put my phone.  And then I find it in the fridge.  

Wait are you saying this is a phone-y thread? You guys in the MSM (Main Stream Moderators) keep trying to suppress the voice of me and my bigly group of followers! Make Thread Great Again! :dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon:  

P.S. Not my fault it got all park-factory at the end! :D Speaking of park-factory, we're bringing Kole back!

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nice to see -- but he's back in AA...   

I'm pretty excited to see Jahmai Jones triple slash line where it is currently...    Both Hermosillo and Jones have rebounded nicely from awful awful starts...   

Jones last 20 games:

Capture.PNG