• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

At the halfway point, who looks like your Championship Series finalists?

I watch a LOT of baseball. Maybe 4-6 hours per day;  usually moving around from game to game during each time zone. So, I see a lot of teams each year.

The half way point is a legitimate point to begin talking about who looks good and who doesnt.

Who makes it to the Championship Series, in your opinion, based on what you have seen? Of course, injuries and the trading deadline can change the mix, somewhat.

Here's my picks:

AL CS-Cleveland vs Houston

NL-Dodgers vs Washington

World Series-Cleveland vs Dodgers

I really like the Indians lineup. Very solid. They get on base, dont strike out, work counts. And a few of their hitters, Lindor, Kipnis, Santana and Encarnacion havent really begun hitting yet. Neither has their young catcher Perez, who had such a good playoff last year. But they have gotten major contributions from Austin Jackson, Brantley and Zimmer. Very deep bench, including Guyer.

Then, there is that lights-out bullpen. Kluber is back and looking REALLY good. Tough to beat a team that has him for 2-3 starts in a five or seven game series. Solid defensive club, too.

I still like the Indians to win it all. They didnt get off to a good start, but they are playing well now.

3 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I watch a LOT of baseball. Maybe 4-6 hours per day;  usually moving around from game to game during each time zone. So, I see a lot of teams each year.

The half way point is a legitimate point to begin talking about who looks good and who doesnt.

Who makes it to the Championship Series, in your opinion, based on what you have seen? Of course, injuries and the trading deadline can change the mix, somewhat.

Here's my picks:

NL-Dodgers vs Washington

I really like the Indians lineup. Very solid. They get on base, dont strike out, work counts. And a few of their hitters, Lindor, Kipnis, Santana and Encarnacion havent really begun hitting yet. Neither has their young catcher Perez, who had such a good playoff last year. But they have gotten major contributions from Austin Jackson, Brantley and Zimmer. Very deep bench, including Guyer.

Then, there is that lights-out bullpen. Kluber is back and looking REALLY good. Tough to beat a team that has him for 2-3 starts in a five or seven game series. Solid defensive club, too.

I still like the Indians to win it all. They didnt get off to a good start, but they are playing well now.

If the Yankees are still hovering around 1st place near the deadline look for them to move some farm pieces for a starter and another bat. They could be in the championship chatter. 

5 hours ago, CALZONE said:

If the Yankees are still hovering around 1st place near the deadline look for them to move some farm pieces for a starter and another bat. They could be in the championship chatter. 

No, they need a great starter and none will be traded at the deadline.  When every team is within striking distance you don't see top level talent moved. 

P

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No, they need a great starter and none will be traded at the deadline.  When every team is within striking distance you don't see top level talent moved. 

With a pitcher like Kershaw, the Dodgers can do what the Giants did with Bumgartner. If you get to the playoffs, a sure-thing starter like Kershaw can carry a team to the promised land. 

18 minutes ago, Waybackman said:

P

With a pitcher like Kershaw, the Dodgers can do what the Giants did with Bumgartner. If you get to the playoffs, a sure-thing starter like Kershaw can carry a team to the promised land. 

For some reason he's had little success in the post season. 

9 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Here's my picks:

NL-Dodgers vs Washington

I really want to write something insensitive about you watching 4-6hrs of baseball per day but there are a lot of people with different situations on this board.  I hope it's cuz your're a billionaire pimp with lots of free time.  

My other guess is that you're a school teacher. 

HA!  Suck it Tank!

9 hours ago, Waybackman said:

P

If the Dodgers used Kershaw liked Mad bum, they'd get swept... 

He's terrible in playoffs. 

10 hours ago, Waybackman said:

P

They have had him every year they have been in the playoffs -- Kershaw has not had the best of luck in the postseason...   4.55 ERA overall in the postseason (89 IP), and an awful 5.58 in the NLCS

I'd take the Dodgers against any other team.  Brilliant, innovative front office, a managerial staff unafraid of advanced metrics, a team with young, very impressive players, effective veterans, the best pitcher in baseball, a ridiculously deep farm system and a shit-ton of money to get whatever they need to get over the hump. 

(As I type this, I flash back to Poo-holes swinging at a pitch that almost hits him in the neck. Sigh.)

ALCS - Cleveland vs Houston, everyone else has too many holes.

NLCS - Dodgers vs Washington, everyone else has too many holes.

World Series - Cleveland vs Dodgers, as the Nats and Astros bullpens implode in their LCS'.

Cleveland, with the deeper bullpen, finally wins a WS title to break a 68 year drought, leaving the Rangers as the team with the longest WS title drought (NEVER to this point). 

I'm not as impressed with the Dodgers. They seem awfully one-dimensional on offense with 9 guys trying to hit every pitch out of the stadium. Defense was iffy. Everybody is sleeping on the Cubs but they'll win their division by default and Theo will do a better job of filling in the holes than the other NL GMs. The Rockies are my sleeper pick

I see the WS rematch with the Cubs and Indians with the finally getting it done.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

I'm not as impressed with the Dodgers. They seem awfully one-dimensional on offense with 9 guys trying to hit every pitch out of the stadium. Defense was iffy. Everybody is sleeping on the Cubs but they'll win their division by default and Theo will do a better job of filling in the holes than the other NL GMs. The Rockies are my sleeper pick

I see the WS rematch with the Cubs and Indians with the finally getting it done.

Arrieta's Steve Blass impersonation is scary though.   Lackey is getting up there in years.   Hendricks has missed a month.   Granted, they still have Lester, but even he has a 3.67 ERA.   The Cubs hitting has depth in the lineup, but they haven't scored a lot of runs.   Like the Dogs, it seems to be the HR providing a lot of their offense, only 24 SBs.