• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cowart back to Triple A; Marte back up.

Richard

Just now, Stradling said:

Well I am in favor of him being the starting 3rd baseman.  The reason for that is I think it is a little silly saying you are a defense first team and then have the worst defensive third baseman in the league as your everyday starter.  Now that made since as a trade off when we had no viable lead off options.  This year we have a superior lead off hitter than Escobar.  Obviously I am in the minority but it is how I feel.  Besides, I would like to know this year, if he can hit at the major league level.  If he can't then you have that hole to fill in the off season.  

Escobar's time is coming to an end here very soon I think. Then someone like Cowart makes sense to me because yes he is far better defensively than Yunel without a doubt. Offensively I think he can do well enough to make their relative values at least equal and Cowart has the possibility to do more overall as a package in comparison to Escobar as a package. Maybin is a better and more complete lead-off hitter than Escobar but the latter is no slouch he just doesn't have the speed on the bases Cameron has so we fully agree there I think?

I think very soon (next 3-4 weeks) Cowart will either be our starting 3B, one of our utility guys, or he will have been traded and we will have another 3B that Eppler acquires in trade. Either way he will be up soon in one form or another and we'll all get to see how shiny he can get.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well I am in favor of him being the starting 3rd baseman.  The reason for that is I think it is a little silly saying you are a defense first team and then have the worst defensive third baseman in the league as your everyday starter.  Now that made since as a trade off when we had no viable lead off options.  This year we have a superior lead off hitter than Escobar.  Obviously I am in the minority but it is how I feel.  Besides, I would like to know this year, if he can hit at the major league level.  If he can't then you have that hole to fill in the off season.  

just the other day you could hardly wait for Yescobar to comeback from the DL

12 minutes ago, ettin said:

Escobar's time is coming to an end here very soon I think. Then someone like Cowart makes sense to me because yes he is far better defensively than Yunel without a doubt. Offensively I think he can do well enough to make their relative values at least equal and Cowart has the possibility to do more overall as a package in comparison to Escobar as a package. Maybin is a better and more complete lead-off hitter than Escobar but the latter is no slouch he just doesn't have the speed on the bases Cameron has so we fully agree there I think?

I think very soon (next 3-4 weeks) Cowart will either be our starting 3B, one of our utility guys, or he will have been traded and we will have another 3B that Eppler acquires in trade. Either way he will be up soon in one form or another and we'll all get to see how shiny he can get.

I agree

Although, I think we'll see Yescobar here for the duration of the season with the possibility of being dealt before September. 

I didn't read through this whole thread but I'm as pissed off as anyone else here.  I have to think Escobar needs to play to because he will be traded.  They couldn't send down others for reasons like money, options, etc.  Has Cowart ever played first base in the majors?  Keep in mind, Pujols is there if he plays all 4 games and he can't play SS so 2nd is the only real option but Espinosa is better there defensively so Cowart was the odd man out because Scioscia/Eppler's obsession with all these bullpen arms.  Honestly, the firesale should have begun right when Trout went down so at this point with Cowart being sent down, whatever. It makes so sense to me but I just always default everything to money reasons so I'm going with that.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sounds to me like this...

The Dodgers are using 3 LH starters in this series. They don't want Valbuena starting vs LHs. Cowart isn't a 1B. Marte is. 

In a few days they can change the roster again. 

Hey Jeff without placing someone on the DL how soon can you bring someone back up?

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

He answered a question on twitter saying Cowart wouldn't get any consideration at 2b when Escobar comes back because "they like Espinosa's defense and he's hitting a lot better lately"....Hey, he's up to .171, that's a lot better than .150, I guess....

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/879178354217426944

Which is kind of bullshit. He's hitting .238/.273/.381 since May 30, and is gutless in his last two games.  I know it is better than before, but not "a lot better."

28 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I didn't read through this whole thread but I'm as pissed off as anyone else here.  I have to think Escobar needs to play to because he will be traded.  They couldn't send down others for reasons like money, options, etc.  Has Cowart ever played first base in the majors?  Keep in mind, Pujols is there if he plays all 4 games and he can't play SS so 2nd is the only real option but Espinosa is better there defensively so Cowart was the odd man out because Scioscia/Eppler's obsession with all these bullpen arms.  Honestly, the firesale should have begun right when Trout went down so at this point with Cowart being sent down, whatever. It makes so sense to me but I just always default everything to money reasons so I'm going with that.

Valbuena could play 1B. So Marte wasn't brought up to play first. he was a going to PH.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

When good things start to happen for this team and we get all excited, someone stupid happens.

What are they smoking in the front office?!

You get all excited because a AAAA player came up for a game? Not the fact the halos are still in contention with all that happens and took 2 of 3 from the yanks and sox?

odd. 

The derp is strong in this thread. Like there's some grand conspiracy involving Eppler, Scioscia, and the illuminati...not the likely scenario Cowart was always planned to be up to cover for the Escobar injury and then be sent back down regardless of performance due to Dodgers starting three lefties. 

They're not going to leave Cowart up unless it's for consistent playing time.  He's not going to start over Escobar.  He's not going to start over Espinosa (even though he should).  

As a player coming off the bench Cowart has value over Marte but they felt it wasn't enough of a needle mover to justify Cowart potentially stagnating on the bench.  

The pinch hit idea where Marte hits lefties better doesn't hold water in my book because You aren't going to need a ph vs. a lefty.  The dogs starters outside of kershaw avg 5ip per start.  So any ph needed is going to be vs. their predominately rhed pen.  

This was about playing time.  They are fine with letting Marte stagnate on the bench.  It can actually be viewed as the halos thinking more of Cowart than I previously thought.  They see him as a starter replacement.  

I also think they mildly misjudged Escobar's injury and thought it would land him on the DL.  When it didn't they were like 'whoops' and they called up Marte instead.  

Frankly, I agree with Strad in that the team is better with Cowart on the bench, but I think this caught them by surprise a bit.  Another reason why?  They hadn't turned this into an option year for Cowart until that one game.  Why burn that unless you thought it was going to be longer term?

The mistake was bringing him up.  Not sending him down.  

Doc, I think It's an option year when they send him down initially at the start of the year. Don't think this callup had anything to do with burning an option. 

Edit: yeah, options are tied to being put on 40 man roster. Once you are on 40 you have 3 options, so when he was sent down during spring that was his option, which basically covers the year. 

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/17188016/

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sounds to me like this...

The Dodgers are using 3 LH starters in this series. They don't want Valbuena starting vs LHs. Cowart isn't a 1B. Marte is. 

In a few days they can change the roster again. 

Seems like they need someone to play 1B in the event Pujols isn't healthy or needs a day off his feet in Tuesday's game in LA. They trust Marte more than Valbuena at the plate against LHP and they trust Marte more than Cowart on first. It's a situational move not a talent move.  Has Cron been down more than 10 days? Can he be called up yet?

All the seasonal stats show Cowart to be a better player than Marte, but as has been pointed out, this is a LOT of noise over a bench spot.

Seems to me that he's gonna get his shot once Escobar is gone.  If he doesn't go away at the dead line this year then oh well.  It's good to see him preforming at the plate though.   I think that's what's best for Cowart is continued uninterrupted AB's whether it's with us or Salt Lake.  It's great that we're in the hunt but long term If Cowart is ever gonna be anything useful to the Angels his development as a player is a massively overriding priority.  Sitting on the bench is worthless to him.  

We probably aren't winning anything this year.  Let Cowart build confidence and mature as a hitter.  His time will come.  The guys road has not been easy, we need to be patient.  The Angels have so many "holes" to fill all over the field.  Even 1b which one would think would be one the easiest places to find a solution has become black hole of worthlessness for us somehow.  I'm very certain the FO is very hopeful that he's an easy in house solution for them for at least one of the "holes".  3b, post Escobar is very much set up to be another problem situation.  Let's all hope Cowart turns out to be a break for us.

The Cron situation is way more frustrating IMO. 

Edited by UndertheHalo