• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cowart back to Triple A; Marte back up.

Richard

32 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

You sound like you haven't followed the angels at all the last several years.

Scioscia has had control over this team with an iron first for decades now and pretty much had a say in every single roster move or trade. (except w/ dipoto)

I dont think much has changed at all since Eppler has been around.  I'm guessing Eppler is more of a "Yes Sir" type.

Conspiracy theories unite.  9/11 was also an inside job.  I saw big foot at Hooters yesterday, and tomorrow I plan on swimming with the loch Ness monster

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It's simply a horrible decision.  We're going into an NL park, he's a switch hitter, he's a plus defender that can also play 2nd base.  In other words he's versatile.  You know, the exact type of player you want in an NL game.  If all else fails you put him as a defensive replacement late in games because our worst defender plays his best position.  And what do we gain in return, Marte, who is passable at 3rd, and occasionally has a good stick.  So yes, I understand baseball, but this move is shit.  

This is a great post. If anything, those two nice plays Cowart made yesterday made us realize what life can be like without a defensive time bomb over at third. I don't think Yunel makes those plays. I don't really see how this move makes us better over the next few games.

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

I'm sure this has something to do with the lefties they'll be facing in the Dodgers series.  He'll probably be platooned with Valbuena to form some kind of Voltron of baseball mediocrity 

Jefry Marte in his big League career (175 PA's) has a wRC+ of 116 vs. LHP.

Cowart has a wRC+ of 34 vs. LHP over his MLB career (39 PA's)

I'd rather roll the dice with the 2017 version of Marte (81 wRC+ vs. LHP) against a heavy LHP Dodgers pitching staff. Cowart will get called back up in the near future and he will probably stay for good then if he is not traded.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

I'd rather roll the dice with the 2017 version of Marte (81 wRC+ vs. LHP) against a heavy LHP Dodgers pitching staff. Cowart will get called back up in the near future and he will probably stay for good then if he is not traded.

This is my initial thought as well, but Marte is hitting .183 in Salt Lake since he got sent down.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Last year he accidentally ran into 16 pitches and hit .278 in 116 games. Of course he played regularly. He actually hit RHP better than LHP by a lot, Guess where they platooned him this year. He was setup to fail when Valbuena was signed.

Both Cron and Marte failed on their own when Valbuena started the season on the DL. If either played well Valbuena would be riding pine. It's on them. 

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

This is my initial thought as well, but Marte is hitting .183 in Salt Lake since he got sent down.

In 47 PA's earlier in the season at the Major League level, Marte hit .179 vs. LHP and still produced a 81 wRC+. While that is not great it is far better than what Cowart has shown at the Major League level. You can certainly point to Kaleb's improved numbers in the Minors against LHP this season but until he consistently does it in the Majors I'm siding on the platoon advantage that we need against the Chavez Latrine Duggars (and yes I understand Kaleb won't get that experience until he stays up consistently but that only happens when you have proven yourself consistently down in the Minors too).

Personally I don't have a serious issue with this as long as it is a short term solution regarding Kaleb. I see him coming up permanently, one way or the other (meaning either with us or with another team), in the near future and this whole story will be a forgotten memory in the anals of AW.com history (and yes that is a purposeful typo). :dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon:

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Im not sure if either of them failed any worse than Valbuena has.

They failed enough to be optioned instead of just benched. It's on them for not playing better. 

1 minute ago, ettin said:

In 47 PA's earlier in the season at the Major League level, Marte hit .179 vs. LHP and still produced a 81 wRC+. While that is not great it is far better than what Cowart has shown at the Major League level. You can certainly point to Kaleb's improved numbers in the Minors against LHP this season but until he consistently does it in the Majors I'm siding on the platoon advantage that we need against the Chavez Latrine Duggars (and yes I understand Kaleb won't get that experience until he stays up consistently but that only happens when you have proven yourself consistently down in the Minors too).

Personally I don't have a serious issue with this as long as it is a short term solution regarding Kaleb. I see him coming up permanently, one way or the other (meaning either with us or with another team), in the near future and this whole story will be a forgotten memory in the anals of AW.com history (and yes that is a purposeful typo). :dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon:

At that point, why not use the guy who can play great defense, multiple positions and run the bases? 

13 minutes ago, ettin said:

He hits better against LHP. Forget his passed MLB AB. He has moved on. Her was pressing last year, but he has been more patient at the plate this year in AAA.

He plays bad and gets sent down. He plays well and is the player of the game and gets sent down. Very frustrating I would guess.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

At that point, why not use the guy who can play great defense, multiple positions and run the bases? 

Doesn't Marte play good defense? Not sure how much we actually need the utility at the moment but sure that is a side bonus to Cowart although Scioscia himself said that he needs more repetitions at 2B so?

Just now, ettin said:

Doesn't Marte play good defense? Not sure how much we actually need the utility at the moment but sure that is a side bonus to Cowart although Scioscia himself said that he needs more repetitions at 2B so?

Not at 1B or LF, and not as well as Cowart at 3B. Cowart is ALL Star caliber defensive 3B.