• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The next 10 games :Update 6-4 Great Job!

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Buy more yacht fuel?

I prefer to wait out the next 3.5 months.  I certainly hope that Arte is ready 5 months from now to start buying something other than role players and yacht fuel, without spending the money on declining stars.

I don't mind if Moreno ONLY spends money on declining stars or journeymen, I just don't want to see him giving up his best prospects, as few as they might be.  Even if Moreno were to become serious about building the farm, who would they trade from their roster that could command good prospects in return?

The short term future looks bleak. The long term future will depend on the scouts and Moreno's patience, and I just don't trust the latter.

18 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Fister's opt out date is June 21. He will be on the major league roster by then and with Shoe out, he's not going to the bullpen

Jeff FletcherVerified account @JeffFletcherOCR 2h2 hours ago

#Angels have not yet decided on Doug Fister's next step. His opt out is tomorrow, but he doesn't necessarily have to exercise it.

I recall Houston, in their only playoff appearance over the last decade, being up by 4 runs with 6 outs to go from moving on to the 2015 ALCS before choking it away.  They then went on to blow a 2-0 lead in Game 5 as they watched their season end as every other one in their team history had . . . losers.

AJ Hinch should have been fired on the spot. 

7 hours ago, Taylor said:

Yep. I think it's multiple years of 1. poor drafts and 2. major overspending on a handful of free agents + 3. injuries galore. The fact that this team is hovering around .500 despite all this is actually a testament to Scioscia.

Agreed, and im pretty neutral on sosh (i like some things, hate others).

But regardless, this team has been constructed poorly for a long time. We stopped producing guys in house, which was a combo of poor drafting, poor development, and giving up draft picks for not offering qual offers and signing FAs.

The FAs we signed were average to horrible. Arte got gunshy and wouldnt spend to bring in real talent to make up the gap.

Sosh has warts, like anyone else. We could point the finger at him for missing the playoffs, and as the manager he does share responsibility.

That said, the 2012 team was the last time we were viewed as being the favorites. Maybe sosh shit the bed on some things, but the bullpen was dogshit. The SP was a giant letdown (haren fell apart, bad santana showed up.) 

2013 the guys brought in to pitch were duds, every one of them, and the bullpen was still dogshit. 2014 we finally built a pen, and the results were great. First round bounced. Maybe sosh did some things wrong, but it wasnt lineup construction. If trout gets a pass, so should anyone else. The team got shut down by a hot team. Maybe sosh bats hamilton lower, but that doesnt make trout, albert and the rest hit better.

After the 14 playoffs, we havent brought in significant players (were gushing over maybin right now and EY freakin Jr). And we havent brought anyone up from the minors worth much at all, maybe bandy or bedrosian.

And Pat Riley at his peak couldnt do much with the snakebit pitching staff the last 2 years. It is what it is.

We could and maybe should replace sosj, but it wouldnt suddenly heal richards, heaney and skaggs...the core of our staff thats missed the better part of the last 2 seasons.

This teams problem is the farm system, which is on Moreno/Reagins/Dipoto. Eppler so far has done a great job (Simmons, Maldonado, Maybin, Meyer, the bullpen, etc). This team had no pitching depth coming into the season according to everyone, has sustained crazy bad luck with injuries to all their key pitchers, yet they are hanging in there and getting serviceable innings out of JC Ramirez, Alex Meyer, and Parker Bridwell. 

Let's let Eppler have his crack at this. So far the results he's gotten out of reclamation projects have shown a legitimate ability to evaluate talent, something Reagins and Dipoto flat out were not capable of 

All we can do is assume that the luck is going to turn around at some point, and we'll get a few breaks. We have a ton of money to spend with Hamilton's disaster contract being gone. You get some luck and a couple good free agents (a bat and a pitcher), all of a sudden you have a very talented team pushing for 90 wins next year. For the first time in a decade I feel comfortable with our front office, so it wouldn't surprise me

2 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

This teams problem is the farm system, which is on Moreno/Reagins/Dipoto. Eppler so far has done a great job (Simmons, Maldonado, Maybin, Meyer, the bullpen, etc). This team had no pitching depth coming into the season according to everyone, has sustained crazy bad luck with injuries to all their key pitchers, yet they are hanging in there and getting serviceable innings out of JC Ramirez, Alex Meyer, and Parker Bridwell. 

Let's let Eppler have his crack at this. So far the results he's gotten out of reclamation projects have shown a legitimate ability to evaluate talent, something Reagins and Dipoto flat out were not capable of 

All we can do is assume that the luck is going to turn around at some point, and we'll get a few breaks. We have a ton of money to spend with Hamilton's disaster contract being gone. You get some luck and a couple good free agents (a bat and a pitcher), all of a sudden you have a very talented team pushing for 90 wins next year. For the first time in a decade I feel comfortable with our front office, so it wouldn't surprise me

Well said.  Eppler is a far superior GM to the last two we have had.  He's demonstrating the power of great communication within the organization.  We got a great start tonight, let's get at least one more win in NY, and move on.  This would be a great time for Nolasco to step up his game for one night anyway.

I could see sell some and buy some.   Would be great to get a 2b that can hit leadoff (or hit at all) or something else that will help in the future.  Norris for a good prospect might be something that could be done that wouldn't hurt playoff chances too much, at least if Bedrosian stays healthy. Do that after Bud gets back and proves he's heathy, then wait until the last minute to decide on Maybin.

It would be tough letting go of Mabin, but the injury history is concerning and there's always the opportunity to sign him next year.

I believe this team is a mirage. Or exactly what it is:  A .500 team.  Earlier, we saw the team at their worst.  Now, I believe it's their best.  While there is a small belief they can get into a Wild Card berth, I don't believe this team has the talent to go very far. 

Last year the Yankees made some astute trades at the deadline and got back great talent, which went a long way toward infusing their farm with real, controllable talent. 

I believe that the Angels are in a similar position.  While it's true that we don't have an "Aroldis Chapman" available that can bring back multiple high-level talent, we do have several players performing at their peak and I'd be in favor of striking "while the iron is hot." Hell, if I"m in charge, I do what it takes to get as much high-level talent as possible.  If Maybin is of use to another team, I don't pass on the opportunity. If I had to pay his remaining salary for the year to get an extra talent, then I do it.  Same with Young, Jr., Nolasco, and even Meyer.  If I could get a haul from some team that believes he's finally figured it out, then yes. 

Now is the time for bold moves.  Our rental veterans are performing at peak and these young players acquired could set up the farm (and major league team) for the next ten years. 

That said, Arte will not have the stones to be a seller. 

21 hours ago, CALZONE said:

I'm recommending drastic changes with a new direction while you're recommending to stay the course with subtle tweaks to the lineup. Let's see how well that works for you. 

Clod, just how more drastic of changes is needed after turning over 2/3rds of the lineup? These are not small tweaks, the only fielders on the roster since Eppler took over is Trout, Calhoun, Pujols and Cron. On the pitching staff you have Richards, Skags, Shoemaker, Heaney, Tropeano and Street. Of those only two have logged any appreciable innings this season. 

This is a full overhaul with a change of direction you thick headed Cannuck. 

36 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Weird, I've never seen "1 game out of a playoff spot" spelled like this before.

There are six other teams within one or two games of that playoff spot, so maybe hold your enthusiasm for a couple more months?

One game back in early September, and I'll take notice.

Edited by fan_since79

15 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

There are six other teams within one or two games of that playoff spot, so maybe hold your enthusiasm for a couple more months?

One game back in early September, and I'll take notice.

Weird cuz you take notice every time they lose a game.  Hell you take notice when the opposing team scores first.  

45 minutes ago, halomatt said:

I believe this team is a mirage. Or exactly what it is:  A .500 team.  Earlier, we saw the team at their worst.  Now, I believe it's their best.  While there is a small belief they can get into a Wild Card berth, I don't believe this team has the talent to go very far. 

Last year the Yankees made some astute trades at the deadline and got back great talent, which went a long way toward infusing their farm with real, controllable talent. 

I believe that the Angels are in a similar position.  While it's true that we don't have an "Aroldis Chapman" available that can bring back multiple high-level talent, we do have several players performing at their peak and I'd be in favor of striking "while the iron is hot." Hell, if I"m in charge, I do what it takes to get as much high-level talent as possible.  If Maybin is of use to another team, I don't pass on the opportunity. If I had to pay his remaining salary for the year to get an extra talent, then I do it.  Same with Young, Jr., Nolasco, and even Meyer.  If I could get a haul from some team that believes he's finally figured it out, then yes. 

Now is the time for bold moves.  Our rental veterans are performing at peak and these young players acquired could set up the farm (and major league team) for the next ten years. 

That said, Arte will not have the stones to be a seller. 

Our focus for the next 3-4 years will be about extending Trout and catching Willie Mays. Arte will probably throw some paint on the stadium and that's it, decade over!