• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Discussing a possible Maybin extension

tdawg87

There's been some chatter recently about extending Cameron Maybin, given how well he has played this year. And while this seems like a "no shit" move on the surface, I wanted to at least look a little deeper into it and see if it really is such an obvious choice for the Angels to make. This isn't going to be some pro in-depth analysis but moreso just some random thoughts regarding one of the Angels' most exciting players this year. 

So first off, Maybin has been amazing. He is a hell of an athlete, and is simply fun to watch. He's quickly becoming a fan favorite so it's no surprise many here (including myself) want to keep him around. The elephant in the room is our historically awful LF situation, which has spanned nearly a decade since GA left. We finally have a guy in left field who isn't complete fecal compost. So obviously, the Angels FO should do everything in their power to keep Maybin in Anaheim for years to come, right? 

On one hand, it's great for the Angels that Maybin is playing so well. He's a big reason we are even in the wildcard hunt right now and his continued success will be crucial to the team down the stretch. On the other hand, this is also great for Maybin and his agents. By most accounts, Maybin is having the best year of his career. He's on pace to set personal bests in stolen bases, walks, runs, and extra base hits. He's also walking at a higher rate than he ever has at the big league level, and by quite a bit. While health has been a serious issue for Maybin over his career (more on that in a minute), it could be an easy sell for his agents during the offseason that Maybin has turned a corner and is simply a late bloomer, especially when you factor in what he did in 2016. If he continues to play well the rest of the year, he's going to be an exciting option for several teams in an admittedly weak outfield market. I'm sure Maybin is well aware of this. 

His health is a factor that could help or hurt the Angels, depending on which direction they choose to go. Maybin has played just 3 full seasons in his entire career, missing significant time in 2013 and 2014, as well as last year. This is something every GM will take into account when looking at Maybin, so teams may be shy about giving him more than a few years. Still, GM's can be very short-sighted during the offseason (as we've seen many times before), and one great year could earn him a massive payday. As much as I want to keep Maybin, anything beyond 3 years is a gigantic risk. Unfortunately I could see him receiving offers of 4 or 5 years on the open market. Possibly even 6 if teams are desperate enough. 

But I do think the Angels need Maybin. Escobar is likely gone next year so they need a legit leadoff option. Not to mention, if Maybin leaves they're right back where they've been every year since GA left. We really need a solid player in left for once, and I think Maybin can be that guy....at a reasonable price of course. 

This is why I feel the Angels should be proactive at trying to extend him ASAP. Keep him off the open market altogether. Maybe something like 3/39 with a vesting option for a 4th year (games played?).

So what are your thoughts?

Edited by tdawg87

This was the first move Eppler made in the off season. He traded pitcher Victor Alcantara to acquire Maybin from Detroit as we all know. So we know Eppler really likes this guy. 

Maybin batting lead off is the best the team as seen in awhile. He also leads the AL in steals and has shown good defense in all fields. Cameron is also a great clubhouse guy and has shown leadership on and off the field. 

Pretty much a no brainer that Eppler will try to extend him before he becomes a free agent. 

Something most don't know about me is that I'm also a Padres fan. Not nearly as big as I am an Angels fan, but I follow them and root for them.

Cam had a spectacular season at age 24 with the Padres, and myself and everyone else assumed he was finally breaking out. So the Padres signed him to an extension, figuring they had a budding star on their hands. 

But after the extension, Cam couldn't stay healthy and when he was healthy, he was very unproductive.

I'm not saying that's what will happen again with Cam, but I am saying that he's been very good before, but also very injured and very bad before.

So you have to ask yourself, are you sure he can stay healthy and productive? If you can answer yes to that question, then you ink a 3-year pact. But if you can't say yes to that, then I would caution to either avoid an extension or offer a much lower dollar amount.

Let'salso keep in mind, Maybin is 30 this year. Paying for age 31-34 seasons, chances are he won't be the same base thief or defender he is right now.

Its risky.

I like Maybin and agree he is an option to sign in the off-season. However if the Angels are not close at the deadline I think you have to trade him and then reconsider signing him once the year is done. The Yankees did this recently with Aroldis Chapman and not only did they get 4 prospects back, including Gleyber Torres, they simply re-signed him in the off-season. The Angels should do the same and get back some value. I don't think Maybin would mind one bit because he gets to compete for a ring.

I think 3/39 is a bit much, even for a guy like Maybin.  I do love his OBP skills, and the fact that he is an excellent baserunner.  I would probably consider 4/44 for Maybin, that way if there is a decline in the 4th year, he could become our 4th OF, with one of Jones, Marsh, or Adell being nearly ready to take over.

I like Maybin, liked the trade....but unless he finishes really strong and stays healthy, I don't see 4 years....maybe 3 but, given his healthy history and lack of production for most of his career, that's about it...then again, GMJr had a good year late in his career and got 5 years.....we'll see....

I think extending him is risky due to his track record and age. I do like him and wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 year deal, however anything beyond that would be taking a chance. If he continues to play well for the remainder of the year I doubt that he could be had for 2 or 3 years anyway, so caution might be the best course of action here. We need a left fielder, but we don't need any more bad contracts.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

There's been some chatter recently about extending Cameron Maybin, given how well he has played this year. And while this seems like a "no shit" move on the surface, I wanted to at least look a little deeper into it and see if it really is such an obvious choice for the Angels to make. This isn't going to be some pro in-depth analysis but moreso just some random thoughts regarding one of the Angels' most exciting players this year. 

So first off, Maybin has been amazing. He is a hell of an athlete, and is simply fun to watch. He's quickly becoming a fan favorite so it's no surprise many here (including myself) want to keep him around. The elephant in the room is our historically awful LF situation, which has spanned nearly a decade since GA left. We finally have a guy in left field who isn't complete fecal compost. So obviously, the Angels FO should do everything in their power to keep Maybin in Anaheim for years to come, right? 

On one hand, it's great for the Angels that Maybin is playing so well. He's a big reason we are even in the wildcard hunt right now and his continued success will be crucial to the team down the stretch. On the other hand, this is also great for Maybin and his agents. By most accounts, Maybin is having the best year of his career. He's on pace to set personal bests in stolen bases, walks, runs, and extra base hits. He's also walking at a higher rate than he ever has at the big league level, and by quite a bit. While health has been a serious issue for Maybin over his career (more on that in a minute), it could be an easy sell for his agents during the offseason that Maybin has turned a corner and is simply a late bloomer, especially when you factor in what he did in 2016. If he continues to play well the rest of the year, he's going to be an exciting option for several teams in an admittedly weak outfield market. I'm sure Maybin is well aware of this. 

His health is a factor that could help or hurt the Angels, depending on which direction they choose to go. Maybin has played just 3 full seasons in his entire career, missing significant time in 2013 and 2014, as well as last year. This is something every GM will take into account when looking at Maybin, so teams may be shy about giving him more than a few years. Still, GM's can be very short-sighted during the offseason (as we've seen many times before), and one great year could earn him a massive payday. As much as I want to keep Maybin, anything beyond 3 years is a gigantic risk. Unfortunately I could see him receiving offers of 4 or 5 years on the open market. Possibly even 6 if teams are desperate enough. 

But I do think the Angels need Maybin. Escobar is likely gone next year so they need a legit leadoff option. Not to mention, if Maybin leaves they're right back where they've been every year since GA left. We really need a solid player in left for once, and I think Maybin can be that guy....at a reasonable price of course. 

This is why I feel the Angels should be proactive at trying to extend him ASAP. Keep him off the open market altogether. Maybe something like 3/39 with a vesting option for a 4th year (games played?).

So what are your thoughts?

IMG_6712.JPG

Don't we have some young talented OF'rs in the minors. I would rather use Maybin as trade bait for an arm. Maybin a ten year veteran and lightning in a bottle gives us an opportunity to get younger. Don't be stupid and give him some 3-4 year extension. 

Some comps for Maybin:

Fowler 5/82 - same age at FA.  same skill set.  Fowler has been way more consistent and healthy.   

Justin Turner 4/64 - year older.  more power.  less speed.  plays IF.  Late bloomer but some really star-like years the last 3.5 seasons.

Ian Desmond 5/70 -  same age.  similar skill set although more power and less speed.  Maybin a better obp guy now.  Desmond has the added ability to play an IF position if necessary.  Felt this was an overpay at the time and still do.  

Josh Reddick 4/52 - year younger.  Defense has tailed off which was a huge component of his value.  A bit inconsistent.  

Denard Span - 3/31 - two years older.  similar skill set.  span has been a bit more consistent.  

Gerardo Parra - 3/27.5 - a year younger.  inconsistent.  somewhat of a platoon player.  

Overall, I think we are going to be hard pressed to get Cam locked up for only 3 years.  Span was two years older and got 3.  Parra is a lesser player and got 3.  Desmond was an overpay.  So was Fowler imo.  Turner was a good deal for the dogs.  Reddick was pretty spot on as well.  

So I think Cam will command a Reddick type deal.  4/52.  I think it would be good for the halos if that 4th year could be an option.  Even a vesting one.  

I do like the idea of locking him up soon but I am certainly waiting till after the deadline to see where the team is in that I think he'll bring back a couple of nice players in a deadline deal.  

24 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I think extending him is risky due to his track record and age. I do like him and wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 year deal, however anything beyond that would be taking a chance. If he continues to play well for the remainder of the year I doubt that he could be had for 2 or 3 years anyway, so caution might be the best course of action here. We need a left fielder, but we don't need any more bad contracts.

After this season we have one bad contract, Albert.  I'd give him 3 years with a 4th year team option.  If that doesn't get it done then trade him, I guess. 

11 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Don't we have some young talented OF'rs in the minors. I would use Maybin as a trade chip for an arm. 

IMG_6712.JPG

Those outfielders are 3-4 years away.  So either resign Maybin or sign someone else, either way you'll have to spend money on left field.  I don't hate the idea of trading him then trying to resign him.  At least we know how he performs here.  

If they can get a three year deal done for around $40-50M they should jump on it. If they need to offer a team option for a fourth year it's not unreasonable consider his value to the team and their need for a lead off hitter who is also a plus defensive outfielder.

Since Eppler has taken over, he has shown consistent improvement in identifying and obtaining players that can fill roles with the Angels.  Especially with players that other teams abandon.  It would be nice to have Maybin for a longer period of time, but I do not feel like the Angels must sign him.  Because of Eppler's ability,  the Angels have options.  I can't think of any other Angel GM that I would say that about..... 

The Span/Parra contracts are good comps, so probably 3/$30MM. That would be a nice tide over before the Angels' plethora of outfield prospects are read:

2018-19: Hermosillo, Thaiss (is mainly 1b, but could play of)

2020-22: Jones, Pearson, Adell, Marsh

The point being, you definitely don't want to extend him past three years as things will really start getting crowded in 2020 or so...hopefully, at least!

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Span/Parra contracts are good comps, so probably 3/$30MM. That would be a nice tide over before the Angels' plethora of outfield prospects are read:

2018-19: Hermosillo, Thaiss (is mainly 1b, but could play of)

2020-22: Jones, Pearson, Adell, Marsh

The point being, you definitely don't want to extend him past three years as things will really start getting crowded in 2020 or so...hopefully, at least!

This ^^^^^ 

it's hard to imagine maybin and his agent being content with 3 years 30 million. i would think they'd be looking for 18-20, and maybe his injury history knocks him down to 15 million per. all that assuming that he makes it through this season healthy and continues to perform well. 3 years is probably an acceptable number of guaranteed years to them.