• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

Removing Pujols from the roster is not about cost savings. His salary is a sunk cost, his presence in the lineup is the real negative.

You can reduce the negative by moving him down in the lineup immediately and cutting his playing time a bit. Go with matchups. If he's done badly against a certain righthander, Valbuena plays that day. He also doesn't play in a day game following a night one. Things like that. He can't be playing in 90% of the games anymore with that batting average sliding into oblivion.

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

You can reduce the negative by moving him down in the lineup immediately and cutting his playing time a bit. Go with matchups. If he's done badly against a certain righthander, Valbuena plays that day. He also doesn't play in a day game following a night one. Things like that. He can't be playing in 90% of the games anymore with that batting average sliding into oblivion.

The idiot on tv is always crowing about Pujols' career numbers vs. this pitcher or this team.

The idiot manager would look at the matchup numbers and see that Pujols hit some team great back in 09, and stick him in the lineup.

13 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Hmm, maintain a .300 career batting avg or forfeit 85 million.  what an incredibly tough decision.

Just to play devils advocate. Pujols left several million on the table to sign here instead of miami. When you factor in california income tax vs florida, its even more.

Money isnt always the deciding factor.

16 hours ago, Blarg said:

There is not one single thing dependable this year about Pujols at bats. That player finished his legacy over a year ago. He is no longer a MLB level player. It's over Trolldaddy, his career was great but it's over.

It's pretty dependable that if he hits a ground ball with a runner on first and less than 2 outs, it'll be a double play.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

The idiot on tv is always crowing about Pujols' career numbers vs. this pitcher or this team.

The idiot manager would look at the matchup numbers and see that Pujols hit some team great back in 09, and stick him in the lineup.

Dusty Baker said the exact thing when he intentionally walked him saying he's beaten me so many times before.  Probably up there as one of the dumbest mangerial moves ever.

38 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just to play devils advocate. Pujols left several million on the table to sign here instead of miami. When you factor in california income tax vs florida, its even more.

"Several million" over and above $250 million doesn't make a lot of difference. I mean, the guy is a gazillionaire. A few million more is nothing, even with the taxes. He has more money than he could spend in several lifetimes.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

One of the best reasons to subscribe to Xtra Innings and get the opposing team feed.  They don't spend much time talking about Pujols career stats.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

On 8/8/2017 at 5:27 PM, 70runner said:

Even if the Angels grab a legit MOTO hitter, Scioscia will have to be moved before Pujols can be moved down the lineup. 

On 8/9/2017 at 8:10 AM, stormngt said:

comments like this are really getting old

Guess you didn't get the memo either...

6 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

"Several million" over and above $250 million doesn't make a lot of difference. I mean, the guy is a gazillionaire. A few million more is nothing, even with the taxes. He has more money than he could spend in several lifetimes.

But thats the point. He doesnt need the money...like brewsters millions, he would have to work his ass off to spend whats already there.

You, me, and 99 percent of the world will never see 80 mill in our lives (what hes owed). So no way in hell we would give it up. To understand from his point of view, youd have to move decimal points over. Lets say instead of 80 mill it was 800K. Thats still a ton of money over 4 years (for us little people). After taxes (at his bracket) its 400, over 4 years. 

You are ridiculed at work,which is in public, your coworkers grumble about you, youre gone 9 months out of the year, have never had a summer in your adult life to do anything with your family, and you already have more money than you could ever spend with guaranteed pension money afterwarde....

A few years back, a friend whos now out of the game and i were having beers. I asked him if he had any plans to get a job in MLB. He mentioned immediatelly he had offers from 2 teams to be a bench coach. He then said "but thats like, what, a hundred, hundred fifty a year? Hell no." This guy never made anything close to pujols money. 

16 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Men's Fitness is the rag owned by the same people who own the National Enquirer.  They were always trying to get Tiger Woods to agree to appear on their cover.  He always declined.

When the Enquirer had the goods on Tiger banging the Perkins waitress, the Enquirer made a deal: Tiger appears on the Men's Fitness cover, and the Enquirer drops the story.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tiger-woods-agreed-to-mens-fitness-cover-story-after-ami-obtained-evidence-of-affair-2017-6

Pujols has looked chunky and injury prone since the day he got here.

Reporters from The National Enquirer hid behind the bushes of the parking lot and captured evidence of Lawton and Woods together.

"The Enquirer guys were behind the bushes and she must have had her period, so she threw the tampon and they grabbed it," Pecker said.

LMAO. Is this an Onion piece?

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

If money isnt the deciding factor then why the hell did he sign with the angels instead of the cardinals?

The marlins refused to give him a no trade clause that's the only reason pujols didnt sign with them.  It's a sad day when you're outsmarted by the marlins organization.

47 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

If money isnt the deciding factor then why the hell did he sign with the angels instead of the cardinals?

The marlins refused to give him a no trade clause that's the only reason pujols didnt sign with them.  It's a sad day when you're outsmarted by the marlins organization.

We weren't outsmarted by the Marlins.  If Albert agreed to sign there, he would have received more money than he got here and the Marlins still wouldn't have been able to trade him because no one would take on that contract.  So to say they got lucky, sure, to say they outsmarted us, well only someone with an agenda would think that.  

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

For the first question, pujols left the cards out of spite. It went back a few years prior to him actually leaving. Its more complicated than just saying tjis, but the matt holiday deal didnt sit well (when the cards didnt extend pujols earlier on).

As far as the marlins part, you just reinforced my point...stability at home was worth more to him than money. Which was only about 30(?) Mill difference, but with taxes its far more.

And the marlins disnt outsmart anyone. He could have taken their offer and would still have been intradeable anyway. Its not like him not signing there got them something like a draft pick.

34 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

For the first question, pujols left the cards out of spite. It went back a few years prior to him actually leaving. Its more complicated than just saying tjis, but the matt holiday deal didnt sit well (when the cards didnt extend pujols earlier on).

You're totally confusing me.  I'm guessing you're trying to say he's not about the money, and he will walk away from 114 million to maintain his career 300 avg?  

Pujols signed a 241 million contract with the angels - the 2nd highest contract in history at the time, but he's not about the money yet for some reason he accepted more to play for the angels instead.  If it wasnt about the money he would have taken less to sign with the angels.

Pujols greedily asked for an additional 10 million for "personal services" yet you claim it's not about the money.

Pujols greedily asked for milestones bonuses which can amount to over 10 million but it's not about the money.

42 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As far as the marlins part, you just reinforced my point...stability at home was worth more to him than money. Which was only about 30(?) Mill difference, but with taxes its far more.

What?  His home is in St Louis not Anaheim, i hope you know this...

if stability is important to him more than money he would have signed with the cards instead.  He even still keeps his offseason home in St Louis.  Yo'u're making absolutely no sense.

47 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And the marlins disnt outsmart anyone. He could have taken their offer and would still have been intradeable anyway. Its not like him not signing there got them something like a draft pick.

How do you know he was untradeable?  Those same Marlins unloaded 106 million dollars on the blue jays in the 2012 offseason, it's not impossible to think pujols would have been included in that deal or another one.  He did have a pretty good year in 2012 before he completely fell of a cliff.

4 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

You're totally confusing me.  I'm guessing you're trying to say he's not about the money, and he will walk away from 114 million to maintain his career 300 avg?  

Pujols signed a 241 million contract with the angels - the 2nd highest contract in history at the time, but he's not about the money yet for some reason he accepted more to play for the angels instead.  If it wasnt about the money he would have taken less to sign with the angels.

Pujols greedily asked for an additional 10 million for "personal services" yet you claim it's not about the money.

Pujols greedily asked for milestones bonuses which can amount to over 10 million but it's not about the money.

if stability is important to him more than money he would have signed with the cards instead.  He even still keeps his offseason home in St Louis.  Yo'u're making absolutely no sense.

How do you know he was untradeable?  Those same Marlins unloaded 106 million dollars on the blue jays in the 2012 offseason, it's not impossible to think pujols would have been included in that deal or another one.  He did have a pretty good year in 2012 before he completely fell of a cliff.

You're nuts to think they would trade him 1 year into a 10 year $275 million contract.  You are also nuts to think a team would take on $240 million of Albert after that year.

Also how do you know he greedily asked for any of those things?  Arte wanted a "business" partner.  Arte probably offered those things, Albert accepted.  Albert was not just a generational player before he came here he was also one of the most respected men in the game.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You're nuts to think they would trade him 1 year into a 10 year $275 million contract.  You are also nuts to think a team would take on $240 million of Albert after that year.

They would have to eat some of his contract, but yes he was tradeable.  Even the angels might have taken a shot at trading for him, especially since Morono was still in total idiot mode back in 2012.

7 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

"Nonsense" - Floyd Mayweather

3 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Firstly, i never said pujols is or is not about the money. I dont know him. What i can say is he had an offer on the table for more from miami, and didnt take it. Whether or not youre aware of this, florida and california dont have the same taxes...one of the reasons people retire to florida, and not to california. I dont look at the duductions on my check, and count it as money i made. In florida, that money wouldnt be taken, because the state tax is different...more money from my employer, without money taken out from taxes is more money...

Second, where he keeps his "home" is irrelevant (these guys are gone from februsry to october). He could stay offseason in the dominican, like the guys from there do. Its about where his 9 months at work is. Where his wife and kids will live during the season. Where his kids go to school...

Lastly, he doesnt pay MS taxes because he lives in MS. He gets paid during the season, not offseason. 81 games a year are taxed in California. Not MS.

As far as him "greedily asking for personal service contracts".you think that was him?.....you honestly think he said "ill take 25 less than miami is offering now, but only if you pay me 10 more million, a decade from now, over ten additional years?"

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

They would have to eat some of his contract, but yes he was tradeable.  Even the angels might have taken a shot at trading for him, especially since Morono was still in total idiot mode back in 2012.

Besides arod who was still in his 20s when he went to NY, or Manny at the end of his contract to LA, can you name any other super contract that has been moved?