• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

48 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

In pujols' defense (and its hard to defend), but his lack of runs scored isnt just a reflection on how bad hes been, but also how bad the giys behind him have been.

Hes obviously a horrible runner, snd doesnt get on base. But besides simmons hitting behind him, nobody else has really been anything this year either.

Sorry but when you have a .270 OBP, you can't blame the guys behind you for not driving you in. You have to reach base at a decent clip to be able to do that

7 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Sorry but when you have a .270 OBP, you can't blame the guys behind you for not driving you in. You have to reach base at a decent clip to be able to do that

Im not at all trying to defend pujols. Not in any way (if thats how i came off). But take him out of the equation, bench him. Replace him in the lineup with cron and valbuena full time. Does it get better?

Again, pujols sucks, badly, but outside of trout and simmons, nobody has done anything this year. Maybin was hot for a minute, so was calhoun. But both had maybe a hot month out of 5(?). EYJ (for gods sake) was outperforming almost everyone on the team. Currently revere is the go to guy outside of trout and simmons.

Again, im not trying to deflect attention from pujols. The guys been horrible, and if anyone should be platooned its him. But the other options, valbuena and cron, IMO, havent made a case they are any better.

For the sake of argument, lets remove pujols (the bad and ugly) and simmons (the good). The other than trout lineup is some mix of calhoun, cron,valbuena, espinoza (since were talking year long), maldonado. Maybin or revere and escobar up top generally, so they wouldnt factor in the pujols runs scored.

Only calhoun of that group has an obp higher than .300 (with a .240 avg and 390(!) Slugging). The next best of the group is maldonado...cron still hasnt turned the corner, valbuena is borderline espinoza. 

My point mainly is that whoever mentioned above the pending FA 1B/DH group, aside from duda, the rest arent anything better, and its the same thing weve been doing the last few years. We keep doing these 1 year "if he plays like he did before" contracts, and all have pretty much blow. 

The only way we actually improve is to aquire legit, no bullshit players. Not gambles. If we go into this winter and sign moustakas and say upton, and cowart hits to his ceiling next year, calhoun remembers how to hit, and simmons is for real, this team is a complete 180.

Im not saying thats what we should do. Id personally still have a plan to make 2019 our turnaround (thats just me). But if we aim for 19 and go cheap in 18(again), or we trade for upton and moustakas, but simmons regresses, calhoun doesnt improve and cowart plays to his floor....both scenarios end up the same. We have a chance for the trout innings, and the rest of the game is dogshit (get what you pay for), and albert takes the blame for an entire roster minus 1-3 guys being scrubs.

22 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Pujols and his .228 average (.204 since June 1st) absolutely must be moved down in the order.

The refusal to do so is crazy, and leads me to question the so-called "brilliance" of this manager. Seems utterly stupid, or just plain stubborn.

He shouldn't be starting if we are trying to win games. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The scariest stat for Albert this year?  

26 bb in 415 ab this year.  

just 1 bb in his  last 66 pa.  

I know most won't agree, but just a very thin, slight, slim, narrow sliver of pity has crept in.  Only for a very brief microsecond.  and now it's gone. 

I actually do feel 'kind of' bad. He went from an all time great to brutally bad faster than anyone i can think of. Thats got to be hard to accept. We rag him (as we should), but i think hes still 100 percent effort wise.

That said, the pity drops when you look at the fact hes doing it to himself. Hes made more than enough money and legacy to walk away at this point....sticking around to pad stats and collect a check isnt too admirable.

If this keeps up (no reason to think it wont) hes going to have to take a long hard look at reality this winter and decide how he wants his career to end. 

A normal manager would look at the situation (it's impossible not to notice) and first, move him down in the lineup. Second, if he doesn't improve at least a little bit, a normal manager would start to look at a platoon at DH. Pujols and Valbuena makes some sense (righty and lefty), but you could still have Albert play against some righthanders, just not every single day. Go with some matchups. If he has done well against a certain pitcher, pencil him in.

Move him down. Immediately. That's a no-brainer. Then start to slowly limit his playing time, depending on his production. That's what a normal, rational manager would do.

But...Scioscia.

Edited by fan_since79