• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Shooting at GOP baseball practice; House Majority Whip Scalise shot

Steve King knows who's to blame...

“I do want to put some of this at the feet of Barack Obama,” King said on Iowa radio station WHO, as flagged by CNN’s KFILE. “He contributed mightily to dividing us. He focused on our differences rather than our things that unify us. And this is some of the fruits of that labor.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/steve-king-blames-obama-baseball-shooting

6 minutes ago, red321 said:

Steve King knows who's to blame...

“I do want to put some of this at the feet of Barack Obama,” King said on Iowa radio station WHO, as flagged by CNN’s KFILE. “He contributed mightily to dividing us. He focused on our differences rather than our things that unify us. And this is some of the fruits of that labor.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/steve-king-blames-obama-baseball-shooting

Really stupid. I'm not sure why the hatred in people's hearts is never put into question as a cause to this violence.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Really stupid. I'm not sure why the hatred in people's hearts is never put into question as a cause to this violence.

Because that hatred is in the heart of everyone. Have you seen the discourse here? To accept this seemingly obvious human trait would to be accept that we all share blame and we all have the potential of acting out in similar ways.

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just so we're clear, I accept that all of you share blame in this event and that each of you have a high potential for acting out in a similar way.

We would expect nothing more from you.

--The rest of us

23 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Because that hatred is in the heart of everyone. Have you seen the discourse here? To accept this seemingly obvious human trait would to be accept that we all share blame and we all have the potential of acting out in similar ways.

I don't totally agree that we all have hatred in our hearts. Hate is a pretty strong word that is often conflated with things we simply dislike. As for the discourse here, I don't think I've seen anything that would rise to the level of hate. There's a lot of butt hurt here though

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I don't totally agree that we all have hatred in our hearts. Hate is a pretty strong word that is often conflated with things we simply dislike. As for the discourse here, I don't think I've seen anything that would rise to the level of hate. There's a lot of butt hurt here though

Take away everyone's food for two weeks and see what happens. A strained romantic relationship. Divorce proceedings and matters involving custody of kids. The hate is always lurking. More obvious in some than others. But it's always there. Lurking. Subtlety tainting our words and actions, especially in our weakest moments.

14 hours ago, Thomas said:

I thought you might reconsider.  What are your assumptions on the victory conditions of a civilian force versus the combined governments of the country? The current political situation,  unpleasant as it might be,  doesn't lend itself to a civilian takeover.  Nor should it of course.  If it was too easy for the population,  especially a minority of the total population, to ignore legitimate elections that would be a strong reason for disarmament.  But no one seems to be arguing that to be the case.  So we need a unprecedented and unlikely though not impossible scenario.  One where a solid majority strongly opposes the existing regime and there is a extreme distrust to complete lack of election process. (this was a much harder scenario to sell prior to Trump).  In this hypothetical,  what would be your assumptions on creating the conditions to remove the regime from power? 

Massive civil dysfunction and disobedience to my mind would be the only solutions with any chance to have an effect. Neither require an armed populace.  Aside from the fact that people facing the government with small arms would be hopelessly outgunned.  I also believe that an armed resistance would serve whatever narrative this hypothetical tyranny would want to sell far more easily.  Likely generating support for the regime that would otherwise not be had.  Ultimately making its removal that much more difficult..  

we live in place where armed resistance is not a viable solution for regime change.  The population is far 2 large and diverse and the goverment is far to powerful.  We have plenty of of smaller scale contemporary examples of armed resistance resulting in miserable failure.  It doesn't work in those places and it won't work here. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Massive civil dysfunction and disobedience to my mind would be the only solutions with any chance to have an effect. Neither require an armed populace.  Aside from the fact that people facing the government with small arms would be hopelessly outgunned.  I also believe that an armed resistance would serve whatever narrative this hypothetical tyranny would want to sell far more easily.  Likely generating support for the regime that would otherwise not be had.  Ultimately making its removal that much more difficult..  

we live in place where armed resistance is not a viable solution for regime change.  The population is far 2 large and diverse and the goverment is far to powerful.  

You in no way answered my question. You instead restated your assertions.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

You in no way answered my question. You instead restated your assertions.

Did I misunderstand you ? I told you what I think would be necessary to remove a regime from power, which I believe was the question. 

Whne you say my assumptions on the conditions are you referring to the backdrop/situation ? I find that question unclear.  

Anyway, I'll answer that as well.  We live in a pretty privileged place.  The conditions necessary are basically unthinkable.  But, just to play along.  I'll say that some kind of massive disaster causing a significant breakdown in civil order would have to have occurred.  And that the governments response would have to be viewed as grossly incompetent and showing favor to some sort of minority population.  When I say minority I don't mean racial minority.  Some other socioeconomic trait.  In this case I still don't see how people  with small arms would effectively resist. 

Maybe I don't have the imagination for it. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Did did I misunderstand you ? I told you what I think would be necessary to remove a regime from power, which I believe was the question.

Yeah. I'll restate. I gave the hypothetical condition. One that isn't far beyond the predicted effects of climate change and the reduced supply of fossil fuels for instance. The separation between the haves and have-nots is already well on its way. My question is not "how" the regime change would happen. But what would have to happen to the regime itself.  What objectives would the "how" have to accomplish for the desired change to occur.

52 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just so we're clear, I accept that all of you share blame in this event and that each of you have a high potential for acting out in a similar way.

But do they own guns? Really, the FBI probably would like to know.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Take away everyone's food for two weeks and see what happens. A strained romantic relationship. Divorce proceedings and matters involving custody of kids. The hate is always lurking. More obvious in some than others. But it's always there. Lurking. Subtlety tainting our words and actions, especially in our weakest moments.

You forgot about 12 year olds talking shit in Call of Duty

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

for a large variety of reasons, you better hope you're never in a room with just me and my banjo, you offensive, libertarian swine!