• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trade Candidate: Christian Yelich

Chuck

Wrong link Chuck.

I'd love him but he will cost a fortune. I'd have a hard time thinking whatever package we did come up with, someone would top it pretty easily. They're going to want very good SP prospects and at least a good hitting prospect.

If Jones and one of Shoemaker, Ramirez (?) or maybe Bedrosian got the conversation started then it could be doable. I just don't know what pitching we'd have would intrigue them.

46 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wrong link Chuck.

I'd love him but he will cost a fortune. I'd have a hard time thinking whatever package we did come up with, someone would top it pretty easily. They're going to want very good SP prospects and at least a good hitting prospect.

If Jones and Shoemaker or Ramirez (?) got the conversation started then it could be doable. I just don't know what pitching we'd have would intrigue them.

Ah my bad. Fixed. 

Nice thought and certainly young enough and interesting enough for Eppler. However the Marlins seem like they want to reboot completely which means young controllable prospects.

Unfortunately the Angels either have MLB level players or really low Minor League (A, A+ and one or two at AA) prospects. I suspect the Marlins are looking more at near-ready like AA and AAA opportunities. I could be wrong but we may not match up well enough to acquire Yelich. It could cost us too much in lower level prospects.

Ozuna would intrigue me too. 

Jones would have to be part of the deal, and for Yelich, I'd be fine including him because Yelich is basically an MLB version of what we could hope Jones could be. 

But after that, the Marlins are in dire need of top-shelf, controllable pitching. We don't have that top pitching prospect. So we'd have to hope they'd see value in someone like Shoemaker, who is cheap and offers some immediate stability, or buying into upside of Ramirez, who will be cheap and controllable for awhile, or someone like Meyer, but that seems like a stretch. So their gaze may turn towards Bedrosian or Middleton next, and then still another prospect or two along the lines of Thaiss, Williams, Rodriguez. Maybe the Angels throw in a Perez or Marte or Smith and pull back Dietrich or a reliever too.

That package would probably be enough in theory, and I'd likely do it. But I would think someone can top it with better prospects pretty easily. If they happened to acquire several top pitching prospects in separate deals, maybe the needs would change enough.

I don't see how this is even worth thinking about. Yelich is a 25-year old star signed to a very reasonable long-term contract through 2022. Yes, he's having an off year but there's no reason to expect that he won't get better.

The Angels don't have the players to trade for Yelich. Even if they are willing to send their four or five best prospects, there will be some team who will be able to offer a better package.

It's not going to happen.

Plus, Yelich is exactly the type of player you want to rebuild around. If the Marlins are open to hearing offers, it only means that they're open to being blown away. The Angels can't blow them away. They have no grade A prospects, and only a small handful of grade B prospects, and some of those are borderline B- types.

Moreno is more likely to trade his top four or five prospects than any other team is to trade their top two or three.

The Marlins therefore might trade with the Angels because Moreno is willing to part with more prospects than other organizations.

I am sure the Marlins know that the Angels are a "win now" organization that will never be in a building mode with Moreno in charge.

I will give you four or five guys from our future, you give me one or two for the present.

I want the Angels to be sellers, but I expect them to .be buyers. 

8 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Moreno is more likely to trade his top four or five prospects than any other team is to trade their top two or three.

The Marlins therefore might trade with the Angels because Moreno is willing to part with more prospects than other organizations.

I am sure the Marlins know that the Angels are a "win now" organization that will never be in a building mode with Moreno in charge.

I will give you four or five guys from our future, you give me one or two for the present.

What you've neglected to mention is that it takes 4 or 5 of our prospects to come anywhere near most any other organization's top 2 prospects. 

I posted in another thread when Yelich was brought up and I just see no scenario where the Angels can make an offer without totally dumping the farm along with a nice MLB piece. Yelich is roughly a 4 win player whose in the middle of his prime for the next 5-6 years and is owed very little given his production. If I had to throw out a guess, you'd be looking to give up Jones, Thaiss, Rodriguez, Barria and a MLB player like Shoemaker. This looks like a huge amount to give up because it certainly is but other teams can afford it. A team like the Dodgers, for example, could put together a deal of Verdugo, Alvarez and a MLB piece and probably be within striking distance of a deal and it wouldn't totally sabotage their system. 

Would I love Yelich on the Angels? Absolutely. Is it realistic to obtain him? Not really. 

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Plus, Yelich is exactly the type of player you want to rebuild around. If the Marlins are open to hearing offers, it only means that they're open to being blown away. The Angels can't blow them away. They have no grade A prospects, and only a small handful of grade B prospects, and some of those are borderline B- types.

What if the Angels offered Trout straight up?  Would that blow them away?

15 hours ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

You also neglected the fact that we have been rebuilding, this is year two of a rebuild.  

11 hours ago, nando714 said:

Sucks that we're rebuilding while having Mike Trout 

wonder how he feels about that 

Nando with all due respect, what the fuck do you expect them to do?  Seriously?  Let's say they spent big in free agency the last few years.  Would they have been in better shape?  As for how Trout feels, I'm sure he feels fine.  

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Nando with all due respect, what the fuck do you expect them to do?  Seriously?  Let's say they spent big in free agency the last few years.  Would they have been in better shape?  As for how Trout feels, I'm sure he feels fine.  

Arte could have spent if he chose to. He has the money. Yes we could have been a little bit better

Just hope they're more competitive in the coming years.