• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The future of the Angels rotation

The biggest need this off season IMO isn't starting or bullpen pitching. What we really need is an impact bat to play LF and 2B. I think it's time to give Cowart 3B next year or at least the utility IF. We really need a good defender at 2B that can get on base at a high rate and hit for power next season. I think we also need a big bat to play LF, while signing Maybin as the 4th OF. Maybin has been hitting better lately but he is injured. He is a good candidate as a leadoff hitter if we still can't plug LF. 

Skaggs should be back soon and we can get a good look at him before October and decide if he will be healthy going forward. Skaggs, Heaney, Meyer, and Shoemaker look like 4 dependable arms baring injuries, leaving Richards, Tropeano, Fister. etc, as possible starters giving us depth with potential quality starters next season. Pitching and defense has been our strength this season, we need to fix the offense period. 

Next offseason is going to be interesting. There are so many ways Eppler can go. So many holes to fill, a lot of payroll flexibility. He's been crafting the roster and the payroll for awhile now to give himself a lot of flexibility and it'll be interesting to see if he takes advantage of that this coming offseason or next, when the big names hit the pool.

16 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I'll say this, if Arte doesn't really make a splash a lot of us are gonna be pissed to no end.

Maybe. We've seen firsthand that spending doesn't guarantee anything. Not spending doesn't work either. If they don't commit via FA this offseason, I can only presume it means they're either really prepping to pay up for Trout, pay up for another giant FA in '18, or they've abandoned the idea of trying to buy a championship.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Contract raises are already factored in the salary cap limitations.

True for the players who are already under contract. Drew a blank there. But it's obviously not factoring in the arb guys and any new players brought on board. So realistically, its more like 45ish million dollars to spend, which is a lot but not enough to fill every single hole through free agency.

44 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

With as much money coming off the books, and with as many holes as we have in this rich FA class there is no reason not to get someone.

And I imagine they will, but if they don't go crazy again it wouldn't surprise me. Just means they may be saving for Trout or a Harper, Machado, etc.

They spent a fair amount this past offseason - $12.5m for Nolasco, up to $7m for Chavez, a couple mil on Maldonado, $4m for a back-up OF, $10m on Maybin, $5.5m for Espinosa, $7.5m for Valbuena, and a few mil in incentives on relievers. The commitments were just short in length or came via trade, and I could see them going a similar route again *if* they feel they need to keep payroll flexible for Trout or the '18 class. 

If that happens it will drive the fans crazy, but it'll make me think there's a chance Eppler is waiting until the last moment to blink, then goes real big one offseason before Trout leaves. Really sets the table.

From a marketing perspective, Arte may want Eppler to go big and lock in another Machado/Harper name so when/if Pujols and Trout leave, there's still a marquee name to promote, and to ease any backlash from if Trout walks.

3 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

I predict G rich, Trop, Heaney, Skaggs will never pitch again for the angels outside of a few innings. We need to start from scratch pretty much as far as SP is concerned. We have no one resembling an ace.

While I'm insistent on the club adding more starters outside of the organization, this seems a tad extreme. At the very least, one of those guys will be a big part of the Angels future, hopefully 2 of them.