• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Braves To Promote Sean Newcomb This Weekend

T.G.

6 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Despite the walks, Nuke hasn't posted an ERA over 3.86 in the minors. He's been successful because the quality of his pitches are high. 

He walks a lot of batters, but he strikes out even more. I mean basically at this point we can surmise that in the majors, Newcomb will likely go 5 innings a night, allow one run, walk three and strikeout seven.

The Simmons trade isn't as big of a slam dunk as we all seem to think. The Braves are getting six cheap years of a good version of Hector Santiago, plus a solid reliever or back end starter in Chris Ellis.

Yeah, I think we came out on top because Simmons is a position player, and the best defensive shortstop in baseball at that, so he affects the outcome of the game every night. But Nuke's going to be a very solid big league pitcher. It's not like the Braves are major losers here.

It's more like a win-win for every side.

That translates to a 1.80 ERA and 210 Ks over 30 starts. That sounds reasonable to me.

4 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

He walks a lot of batters, but he strikes out even more. I mean basically at this point we can surmise that in the majors, Newcomb will likely go 5 innings a night, allow one run, walk three and strikeout seven.

1. Striking out more batters than you walk isn't really much of an accomplishment 

2. There is no way he's going to have an era under 2 

23 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think Alex Meyer and Sean Newcomb are the same. High K's, good amount of walks. 

I'm glad we dumped Santiago and got an equal or better back in Nolasco, but also got a top prospect arm to replace the loss of Newcomb. 

I too saw Meyer as being a sort of Newcomb replacement. 

Stung losing him, but he wasn't MLB ready and we, at the time, were trying to improve the MLB team right at that time.

• 4 years later...
On 6/7/2017 at 10:31 AM, Second Base said:

Despite the walks, Nuke hasn't posted an ERA over 3.86 in the minors. He's been successful because the quality of his pitches are high. 

The Simmons trade isn't as big of a slam dunk as we all seem to think. The Braves are getting six cheap years of a good version of Hector Santiago, plus a solid reliever or back end starter in Chris Ellis.

Yeah, I think we came out on top because Simmons is a position player, and the best defensive shortstop in baseball at that, so he affects the outcome of the game every night. But Nuke's going to be a very solid big league pitcher. It's not like the Braves are major losers here.

It's more like a win-win for every side.

Ha