• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

So at this rate, we are going to be sellers

No way you move Trumbo. Power hitters are hard to find. I also think he has leadership ability and a club friendly contract.

Vargas would be the first option to move since he is a free agent at the end of the sason. Kendrick would be next. He should bring a couple prospects. The Cardinals would be an ideal team match up with.

Beyond those two, only Aybar would bring a return, but the Angels have no replacement for him. Maybe Iannetta could bring something in July if a team is desperate.

With his 85 mph heater, Weaver won't return as much as some think here.

Nope. I'm afraid 2013 Weaver is going through similar decline as Dan Haren did in 2012. 

By the time he gets back I seriously believe he might only be our third best pitcher behind Wilson and Vargas.

Trading Trout would be the worst thing ever and make me possibly reconsider my fandom.

As for Weaver, trading him would be awful, and worst-case scenario, and yes, "douchebaggy", but it's not something that should be completely left off the table. Like I said, he would bring in quite the haul of prospects, especially if a team like the Cards need pitching.

I really truly hope it doesn't come to that, but it's just one option of not-so many.

With his 85 mph heater, Weaver won't return as much as some think here.

Which is why trading him should not be completely out of the question.

I don't want to do it, but I would guess there are many teams who would pay quite a bit for his services. Especially with his team-friendly contract.

Trading Trout would be the worst thing ever and make me possibly reconsider my fandom.

As for Weaver, trading him would be awful, and worst-case scenario, and yes, "douchebaggy", but it's not something that should be completely left off the table. Like I said, he would bring in quite the haul of prospects, especially if a team like the Cards need pitching.

I really truly hope it doesn't come to that, but it's just one option of not-so many.

Doing so would completely alienate the fan base. I'm just saying objectively that would be the only way the club could get back to a "clean slate". Then it would be 6+ years of Marlins/Astros quality suckiness to get back to a competitive team. By that time all the fans would be gone. It would be a horrible business decision even if it were fair from a strict baseball/moneyball point of view.

Reality is this club is probably stuck with most of the current team whether we like it or not for the next 3-4 years for better or worse. 

Borjous and Trumbo would be guys you trade to get a star, not guys you trade for prospects. Neither of them make much money. So if you are a "seller" then it needs to be a salary dump. Pujols and Hamilton, no one will take on those contracts, maybe if we kicked back a hefty portion of those salaries, but come on, do you think that has any chance of happening. Weaver signed on for less to stay here, and Trout is a future franchise cornerstone who makes nothing, trading them would effectively end any good will fans have left towards this franchise. Maybe you could ship Howie or Aybar, but I wouldn't expect either of them to net any sort of top line prospect. The only real change that can happen is in the coaching staff, and from there it's up to the players to perform to their capabilities.

Why trade a potential superstar with 5 years of club control left for prospects? We'd probably be trading Trout for players who are older than he is. It makes no sense whatsoever. You build around players like Trout and Trumbo, not trade them. We are stuck with Pujols and Hamilton. Accept it and find other solutions. I'd rather listen to the fire Scioscia drivel than this crap about selling the most valuable pieces of the team.

Weaver has a NTC and no way he would accept a trade to anyone other than maybe the Dodgers.  Plus considering how pathetic the pitching on this team is you don't trade an ace for some prospects.

We don't have anyone on the system to replace Aybar or Kendrick.  You might be able to get a couple mid level prospects for Vargas if he keeps pitching well.  Other than that we don't have any trade chips worth trading.

You have to look at salary when looking to trade players.  As we stand right now, our estimated 2014 salary is already at $140 million.  Yes, $140 million without making one move.  

This team needs to get cheaper, but also better.  And with 2 boatanchor contracts in Pujols and Hamilton, along with the remaining of Wells.  I just don't see it possible.

So you have to keep your young talent.  This includes Trout, Trumbo, and even Bourjos and Conger.  

And as we saw by our injury replacements, what we have at 3rd and SS is much better defensively than what it can be replaced with.  Cowart could change the 3rd landscape, but he's still 1-2 years away.  And even then Cowart is no guarantee, if he was, he'd be on the team already.  

That leaves one position.  2B.  While Kendrick is getting a batting resurgence, it has still only resulted in a .754 OPS.  And his defense is above average, but not a big enough gap from what it can be replaced with.  With $19 million after this year still owed, his salary is also very favorable to a trade partner.  So he would be one choice.

Pitching wise.  Blanton is possible, but unless he really heats up, probably won't be in demand at the trade deadline.  No one will touch CJ, and Weaver is our best by far with a very team friendly contract.  Vargas though is a FA after this year.  He could be a nice pickup for a contender if he continues to pitch well.  WHIP isn't there, but his ERA is at 3.72.  Hanson has 2 years of club control left.  He could be dealt, but for the Angels, his $ is probably worth keeping him.  

Relievers.  Really Frieri is the best $ for value right now, so he will definitely stay.  Burnett has a year at $4 left, so not out of the possibility of trading or keeping him.  Jerome has $3 left, I think he still has value as a spot starter/long reliever so I can't see him being traded.  Jepsen has 2 years left of club control, so doubt he gets dealt.  The big one may be Madson.  Once/IF he returns, and if he regains form, he could be a very valuable piece for a contending team.  

So my bet is Kendrick, Vargas, and Madson are the guys to be dealt at the trade deadline if the Angels are out of contention.