• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Sam Miller on Weaver

I think it's time for the Angels to listen.  He's an all-time great for this franchise.  He took a hometown discount to stay when he was on top of his game.  Angel management decided to let him go, which is an understandable business decision, but to issue a player #36 the very next season is ridiculous.   Similarly stupid to re-issue #27 the year after Vlad left (and before Trout).   We have some bad decision making here.

Nice article. It will be sad if his last major league at-bat was giving up a single to a pitcher, but oh well.

Weaver is hard not to like. He replaced John Lackey as the very good-but-not-great staff ace, just as Lackey--with a gap of a few years--had replaced Chuck Finley, who had replaced Mike Witt. I admire his fighting spirit, but at a certain point you've got to face reality and recognize your own denial - and that point was probably after last year, maybe after 2015.

I feel bad for Weaver. During his time with the Angels, it was never a doubt that he was giving his 100 percent every time he was out there on the mound, and I never heard him complain or blame someone else. He seemed to fully shoulder the responsibility of his decline, and you know it killed him.

If he retires, I really hope he returns to the Angels org soon as some kind of coach.

Ill say this. The guy is bipolar, but his 'mr hyde' side was a competitor. Big time. And though he got paid a ton, the discount was real, and it was all about trying to give the team salary wiggle room.

The last 2 years were tough to watch, but hes an all time angel great. One of the best employees this team has ever had, by far.

Angels wasted Weaver's prime years as well. 2010-2013 was when he was a great pitcher but the team did not qualified for the postseason in any of those seasons. One of the most underrated pitchers of his generation, in my opinion.

But he was done after 2015. 4.60 ERA in a pitchers' park and getting older is a bad sign for any pitcher over 30 years of age.

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nice article. It will be sad if his last major league at-bat was giving up a single to a pitcher, but oh well.

Weaver is hard not to like. He replaced John Lackey as the very good-but-not-great staff ace, just as Lackey--with a gap of a few years--had replaced Chuck Finley, who had replaced Mike Witt. I admire his fighting spirit, but at a certain point you've got to face reality and recognize your own denial - and that point was probably after last year, maybe after 2015.

This is revisionist history. Check his stat line from 2010-2012 and tell me he wasn't great. He was the 2nd best pitcher in the AL behind only Verlander over that time period

19 hours ago, California Cajun said:

I think it's time for the Angels to listen.  He's an all-time great for this franchise.  He took a hometown discount to stay when he was on top of his game.  Angel management decided to let him go, which is an understandable business decision, but to issue a player #36 the very next season is ridiculous.   Similarly stupid to re-issue #27 the year after Vlad left (and before Trout).   We have some bad decision making here.

Quit worrying about the past, and concentrate on making today's team better.  Team numbers and retiring jerseys... I could not care less.

You are never going to make a guy like Weaver happy.  He is getting whiplash this year from watching all his gopher balls, and yet he will never quit.  The life is too sweet for him.  Fernando Valenzuela bounced around to so many teams at the end.  He was pitching in the mexican leagues in his forties.  

I would rather our team be great on the field, release players a year too early, and win games.  Like the Patriots.

6 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

He is getting whiplash this year from watching all his gopher balls, and yet he will never quit.  The life is too sweet for him.  

I am sure it is way more complex than this. Weaver probably isn't playing for the money or the life - he is playing because it is all he has known the last 30 years of his life. And his inability to hang it up is probably due to the difficulty accepting that his clock has run.

Imagine if your career defined you, you were great at it, and then over a period of just a few years you weren't competent to do your job any longer. It would be a hard thing to accept - probably somewhat devastating for some of these guys.

9 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I am sure it is way more complex than this. Weaver probably isn't playing for the money or the life - he is playing because it is all he has known the last 30 years of his life. And his inability to hang it up is probably due to the difficulty accepting that his clock has run.

Imagine if your career defined you, you were great at it, and then over a period of just a few years you weren't competent to do your job any longer. It would be a hard thing to accept - probably somewhat devastating for some of these guys.

Okay, fine.  I will take your theory.

Either way, he was never going to 'retire an Angel', unless the Angels were going to let him keep on being an embarrassment.

The Padres are barely a major league team, more like the Sam Hinke-era 76ers of the MLB.

Let him do what he wants.  Not our problem.