• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The Scioscia Era – Where did it go wrong?

2 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Sorry I don't have all the names. IN 2011 THE Angels fired or demoted nearly everyone in the front office, including Flores. When Jerry Dipoto took over as GM, he said, "The analytics department is [now] baseball ops." Sabermetrics, in other words, would be part of everything the front office did -- including player development.

So..   Jerry Dipoto was a puppet for MS too?   How did his analytics department fare in player development?  How did keeping MS away from the minor leagues and how players were being developed work out?  

Things sure got better under the smartest man in the room, didn't they?

• 1 month later...
On June 2, 2017 at 9:09 AM, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Jerry hasn't proven to be a good GM. Scioscia has had plenty of opportunities with some good teams.  Even the sun shines on a dog's ass <Scioscia > every now and then.  Maybe just once.

Maddon? 

5 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Joe guided the Tampa Bay Rays to the World Series in 2008 and loss. He guided the Cubs to the 2016 World series and won. Do the Angels win the 2002 World Series without bench coach Maddon ? Probably not. The Angels were 77-85 in 2003, the year after Angels won the World Series, not sure yet what the Cubs record will be at the end of this year.

You might want to look at the injuries to the 2003 team.  Then ask yourself what kind of injuries the 2017 Cubs have.  Then you might also ask yourself who had more talent, the Cubs of 2016 or the Angels of 2002.  I will admit the Angels of 2002 were more of a story book team of destiny team, a team where the sum of the parts were greater than the whole type.  If that means Scioscia doesn't deserve as much credit, so be it.  But the notion that Madden somehow is the reason we won, it is just stuipd.  I am sure Maddon coached extra hard for Kennedy to hit 3 home runs.  I am sure he told Franky to have a lights out slider.  You also seem to ignore that the Devil Rays had years and years and years of having the #1 overall pick, so at some point that means you will probably have some pretty good talent.  You also seem to have forgotten that the Rays won more games the first season without Maddon than the last season with him.  It's ok, we all have blind spots, it is in our nature.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You might want to look at the injuries to the 2003 team.  Then ask yourself what kind of injuries the 2017 Cubs have.  Then you might also ask yourself who had more talent, the Cubs of 2016 or the Angels of 2002.  I will admit the Angels of 2002 were more of a story book team of destiny team, a team where the sum of the parts were greater than the whole type.  If that means Scioscia doesn't deserve as much credit, so be it.  But the notion that Madden somehow is the reason we won, it is just stuipd.  I am sure Maddon coached extra hard for Kennedy to hit 3 home runs.  I am sure he told Franky to have a lights out slider.  You also seem to ignore that the Devil Rays had years and years and years of having the #1 overall pick, so at some point that means you will probably have some pretty good talent.  You also seem to have forgotten that the Rays won more games the first season without Maddon than the last season with him.  It's ok, we all have blind spots, it is in our nature.  

You might as well also point out that Madden did his best to manage the Cubs out of their World Series win.  The guy was as bad as I've ever seen a manager in the post season.  For some reason people are obsessed with this fantasy that the funny unconventional things he does occasionally are some game break difference.

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

You might as well also point out that Madden did his best to manage the Cubs out of their World Series win.  The guy was as bad as I've ever seen a manager in the post season.  For some reason people are obsessed with this fantasy that the funny unconventional things he does occasionally are some game break difference.

Bingo 

12 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Joe guided the Tampa Bay Rays to the World Series in 2008 and loss. He guided the Cubs to the 2016 World series and won. Do the Angels win the 2002 World Series without bench coach Maddon ? Probably not. The Angels were 77-85 in 2003, the year after Angels won the World Series, not sure yet what the Cubs record will be at the end of this year.

Why aren't you pimping Dave Martinez then? 

coughracistcough 

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

But the notion that Madden somehow is the reason we won, it is just stuipd.

Couldn't agree more.

I have no doubt that Maddon contributed to the championship but he didn't have the authority to make decisions that affected the outcome because that is the managers job.

The notion that the Angels won in 2002 because of Maddon's influence is plain and utter nonsense.

On July 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Joe guided the Tampa Bay Rays to the World Series in 2008 and loss 

ass-whooping. 

Edited to reflect more accurate outcome. He followed that up by running away to the uber-rich Cubs and leading them to an ass-whooping sweep by the Mets in the nlcs 

Then there's 2017, where Maddon has led the talent-rich, reigning World Series Champion Cubs to:

- a record that is 1 game under .500 - the same as the Scioscia-led Angels and a whopping 1 game better than the Coppolella-led Atlanta Braves.

- He had a player call out a teammate in the press. 

- He has a player under investigation for domestic violence by MLB 

- had his GM state publicly:"Our biggest fixes are inside the clubhouse", as one Chicago writer put it:"When the baseball boss says the team hasn’t been playing with an edge – and insists virtually all the answers are already inside the clubhouse – it doesn’t look good for the manager."

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Edited to reflect more accurate outcome. He followed that up by running away to the uber-rich Cubs and leading them to an ass-whooping sweep by the Mets in the nlcs 

Then there's 2017, where Maddon has led the talent-rich, reigning World Series Champion Cubs to:

- a record that is 1 game under .500 - the same as the Scioscia-led Angels and a whopping 1 game better than the Coppolella-led Atlanta Braves.

- He had a player call out a teammate in the press. 

- He has a player under investigation for domestic violence by MLB 

- had his GM state publicly:"Our biggest fixes are inside the clubhouse", as one Chicago writer put it:"When the baseball boss says the team hasn’t been playing with an edge – and insists virtually all the answers are already inside the clubhouse – it doesn’t look good for the manager."

But he used to be here when we were really good and he isn't Mike Scioscia, so he must be great.  

13 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

I'm sure Joe Maddon will not get fired by Theo Epstein, however  he does have the authority to do so.  The angels last four Angels GM's have had no authority to fire FFScioscia. 

I'm glad Dipoto didn't have the authority.  But to pretend Stoneman didn't is just fucking stupid.  

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'm guessing because he wanted less responsibilities and to spend more time with family.  

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/stoneman-angels/

Choking back tears at times at a news conference, Stoneman said he was leaving the GM post — which he called a 24-hour, seven-day-week job — so he will have time for other things.

Stoneman had special gratitude for his wife.

"She didn’t know when she married me that I would have a mistress," he said, alluding to the demands of his baseball job. "Right now, I’m leaving my mistress."

9 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

The Angels have had two GM's quit there jobs, while Scioscia was the Angels manager. Scioscia made it so bad, that Stoneman gave up his mistress and went back to his wife.

Mistress? Stop being a twat. 

On 6/2/2017 at 9:09 AM, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Jerry hasn't proven to be a good GM. Scioscia has had plenty of opportunities with some good teams.  Even the sun shines on a dog's ass <Scioscia > every now and then.  Maybe just once.

He traded Segura,  he gave Santana away, he brought us the illustrious Blanton and Hansan.  He signed to relief pitchers that pitched two inning in two years, he signed Hamilton (it might have been Moreno but that story has never been confirmed), he signed Pujols (again possibly at the insistence of Moreno but never confirmed), he drafted Ward in the first round, he blew our allotment on Balequin (sp?) And it shut us out on the international market an we lost an opportunity to sign Vlad Jr.

Dipoto could not have done a worse job if he was deliberately sabotaging the team.

He had time to prove he was a shitty GM.

41 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

The Angels have had two GM's quit there jobs, while Scioscia was the Angels manager. Scioscia made it so bad, that Stoneman gave up his mistress and went back to his wife.

Oh my god, what a completely fucking joke.  He had one basically retire and another shitty one quit.  

You cant be a real human.  

What's funny is that it was Maddon who, while married, met his current wife, who was also married, at a SoCal gym. He then divorces the mother of his children and marries the chick.

what was that you were saying about Stoneman?