• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The Scioscia Era – Where did it go wrong?

50 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Let's be real here. Every time Trout hits a big home run and excites the crowd, he's saving Scioscia's job. Without Trout this team would be unbearable to watch.

I don't believe that ... no one knows what the roster would look like without Trout over the last few years. 

22 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

No amount of rationalization will change the fact that it was an epic failure in scouting and the repercussions have carried over until this July...   Dipoto made the decision to sign Baldoquin knowing full well it would lock them out of future signing periods .... that meant he willingly chose Baldoquin over everyone in his signing period through this year...   Yeah signing others would have made it less of an issue -- but there is no downplaying how awful a decision it was or its impact on the organization.   The rest of MLB all scratched their head at the signing, meanwhile the Angels publicly stated the guy they signed wasn't raw and simply needed at bats...... epic failure doesn't even begin to describe it.  

Edit:  What I'm saying is that arguing that the team didn't spend enough isn't really a valid excuse -- spending money hasn't been a problem.  The problem was they spent that money foolishly...   When you consider that Baldo took more to sign than Vlad Jr did ...  well...   Speaks volumes IMO.

Anyone take a good look what vlad Jr. Is doing in the minor leagues?

One thing I don't think has been brought up was the decision to not pursue Carlos Beltran after the 2004 season. The Angels had a big hole in centerfield and instead of making a long term investment in a hall of famer who might've put the team over the top they went with a short term stop gap in Steve Finley. Finley was a drag on the 2005 team which ultimately lead to the Angels making the $50 million investment in Gary Matthew Jr. Matthews was a huge disappointment in '07 and a disaster in '08 & '09. This lead to the Angels finally opening their wallet for a legit centerfielder in Torii Hunter in '08. 

The result was 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 teams that were seemingly always one piece away. Beltran put up over 22 WAR over that span for $59 million, while the Angels wasted nearly as much on what amounted to near replacement level performance.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

One thing I don't think has been brought up was the decision to not pursue Carlos Beltran after the 2004 season. The Angels had a big hole in centerfield and instead of making a long term investment in a hall of famer who might've put the team over the top they went with a short term stop gap in Steve Finley. Finley was a drag on the 2005 team which ultimately lead to the Angels making the $50 million investment in Gary Matthew Jr. Matthews was a huge disappointment in '07 and a disaster in '08 & '09. This lead to the Angels finally opening their wallet for a legit centerfielder in Torii Hunter in '08. 

The result was 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 teams that were seemingly always one piece away. Beltran put up over 22 WAR over that span for $59 million, while the Angels wasted nearly as much on what amounted to near replacement level performance.

I was a big big Stoneman fan -- but if that dude has a blind spot when it came to CF...   If there was one area he failed at repeatedly it was there...

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Great point. I was new to internet chat rooms about that time, and threw a temper tantrum that we didnt sign beltran. For years the angels wanted him...and he was the perfect sosh player. Switch hitter who could steal bases, and he had power. Would have been perfect to hit in front of vlad.

Along the theme of mistakes we made (and for those who didnt want beltran). Beltran wanted 100 mill, i think he got 105 over 7 years (off the top of my head). We said no.

We then gave finley 14 mill over 2 years, and he flopped. We replaced him with GMJ for 50 mill over 5 years, and he flopped. We replaced GMJ with Torii a year later for 90 mill over 5.

So 154 mill over 8 years for a CF instead of 105 over 7 years...and several years of Vlad having to be a one man show (mostly)...trout before trout. The curse of #27

Bob again with the made up history. 

Trout missed almost all of Spring Training his rookie year due to the flu and when he did make it to Anaheim three weeks into the season he was still 10 lbs under weight.

His first game was April 21st . Scioscia right off put him as the leadoff hitter and by the second game took gold glove all star center fielder Torri Hunter and moved him to right field to put Trout in center, the most important outfield position. 

From his first game to the end of the season Trout's rookie season comprised of 139 games, he only had 3 days he didn't play. 

Scioscia must have seen the talent there to stick him as the leadoff hitter and move Hunter out of center field. No other rookie under Scioscia's tenure has been given so much responsibility right away. 

Did I mention you're a stupid troll, Bob? 

On 5/26/2017 at 11:10 AM, Troll Daddy said:

Scioscia dominated the West division in wins. There's only two teams in the American League with more win totals than the Angels during his tenure. There's 10 teams in the AL the Angels win total is 100 wins or greater. 

I think the Scioscia Era is a huge success. 

The 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014*, 2015, and 2016 seasons say Hi. Not to mention those years where Boston buried us in the first round.

(*division title then swept by Kansas City)

17 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

The 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014*, 2015, and 2016 seasons say Hi. Not to mention those years where Boston buried us in the first round.

(*division title then swept by Kansas City)

Name a better AL manager during his tenure.

Troll Daddy missed the whole point of the post.  The Scioscia Era started off amazing and then fell off a cliff the last 6+ seasons.  The purpose was analyzing why.

Also, while it is called "The Scioscia Era" I don't place that much blame on Scioscia in the article.

The Scioscia Era was a huge success, however the last 6+ years are anything but a success.