• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Will Richards be back this year?

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Relax, he's starting on Thursday.  Also... Barbaro is starting on Wednesday.

LOL...   So when other than this year when have you seen his pussified pitch counts?   Certainly not last year when he threw 615 pitches in his 6 starts.   You didn't see it in 2015 either when he was coming back from the knee injury -- he hit 100 pitches in his very first start and averaged more than 100 over his first 9 starts.   He had two 99 pitch starts and one 98 pitch start during that run.   On the season he made 32 starts and topped 98 pitches 25 times..  Overall he threw 3250 pitches -- tell me what that averaged out to?  

For his career, Richards has averaged 98.5 pitches per start, Archer 99.6....    

As always -- good to see the facts supporting your hyperbole.

29 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Is that known to cure biceps nerve irritation?

That's what I don't get -- unless I missed something and it's entirely possible I have...  everything I've read says the two things are unrelated.   Has that changed?  I don't doubt that the one injury may have led to the other -- but, from what I've read online there is no issue currently with his UCL.    I don't know if not pitching is helping or hurting his UCL with healing -- but I keep seeing people making the TJ claims.

I get the concerns, once a guy has a torn UCL of any severity I don't know If it's possible to not worry about something else happening, but is there a real concern or are people just jumping to conclusions? 

I will take all the collective responses as a "no" to his returning this year.

I suspect one of the following two options will develop in the future.

The Angels will stick with him and he will have an average career, having never truly been healthy. or

the Angels will release or trade him, and his career will be revitalized with another organization with his true potential realized.

It's tough to not be cynical after rooting for this team for nearly 50 years..

The answer is: who the fuck knows. My guess is that they're shutting him down until June, then will let him throw and see what happens. Best-case scenario and he rehabilitates and is back in a month. Worst-case scenario and he's got a bigger problem and will be out for the year.

I'm no medical expert, but I wonder if this "irritated nerve" isn't because of the UCL, but the stem cell treatment.

Either way, I've never heard of a pitcher being out this long with an "irritated nerve," whatever that means. The frustrating thing is that he could be back in a month and pitching like his old self, with no major injuries going forward, or he could be essentially done for his career. With this guy, you just don't know. But it would be foolish to cut bait with him right now. He's worth the risk.

One more: It is truly crazy to think that four of the Angels five or so best starters are on the DL, with at least two of them out for the year, maybe all four (knowing our luck) - and that doesn't even include Meyer. Couple that with the team's top three relievers also being out, and I've never seen anything like this. It is beyond the point of bad luck.

On 5/24/2017 at 5:59 PM, Angelsjunky said:

One more: It is truly crazy to think that four of the Angels five or so best starters are on the DL, with at least two of them out for the year, maybe all four (knowing our luck) - and that doesn't even include Meyer. Couple that with the team's top three relievers also being out, and I've never seen anything like this. It is beyond the point of bad luck.

Yup and this is why the Angels are a .500 team.  If the Angels had all those pitchers healthy, they'd be competing with the Astros right now.  They'd be able to survive the poor numbers from the number 4, 5, and 6 hitters as well with those pitchers healthy.

Can anyone honestly say this team would for sure be better with Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs and Shoe than what we have now? All those guys aren't very proven outside of Richards and Shoe for brief periods. I'm not convinced we will be any better when any or all of them come back. They are extreme wild cards at this point after all they've had happen.

Being positive is not easy with all this bad luck, but on a positive note, I would not have expected the team to be anywhere near .500 with these pitching injuries and this lineup.

This reserve staff deserves credit.

Realistically ,though, I don't expect them to tread water all year, so a  72-75 win season seems most realistic.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:14 PM, zenmaster said:

Can anyone honestly say this team would for sure be better with Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs and Shoe than what we have now? All those guys aren't very proven outside of Richards and Shoe for brief periods. I'm not convinced we will be any better when any or all of them come back. They are extreme wild cards at this point after all they've had happen.

Skaggs was looking solid several starts in a row before he got hurt, and really, he's been a solid pitcher as an Angel. Not meeting expectations, but better than he's been given credit for. And Heaney had done nothing but pitch well, even if only for a half season or so.

If Richards and Skaggs could actually get healthy, next year's rotation could have some decent depth with the potential return of Heaney and Tropeano, to go along with JC, Shoe, and whatever free agent arm we sign (Darvish).