• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thanks again, Jerry

Chuck

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Mike Clevinger is sporting a 1.56 ERA through 3 starts after pitching a 1 hit 7 inning shutout against the Astros on the road today.

Jerry released Clevinger a few years back for no apparent reason other than being a dumbass. 

We actually traded him for Vinnie Pestano but yeah it did not work out for us.

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

If Jerry Dipoto got hit by a truck I'd be like "was there much damage?" 

Dipoto has to weigh like 140 tops. He probably enjoys a garden salad for lunch topped with raisins. 

It would be like running over a toddler.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

We actually traded him for Vinnie Pestano but yeah it did not work out for us.

Chuck are the old minor league boards online anywhere?  I remember having said something when that went down...   That was a mistake from the get-go.   Clevinger had four MLB average pitches at the time of the trade and all of them could only get better.   His biggest issue in those days was his follow through was kinda wonky.  They finally started to change that in 2014 after he came back from the injury...    Was painful to see him be traded.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Dipoto has to weigh like 140 tops. He probably enjoys a garden salad for lunch topped with raisins. 

It would be like running over a toddler.

No dressing, just a lemon slice on the side, please 

48 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Chuck are the old minor league boards online anywhere?  I remember having said something when that went down...   That was a mistake from the get-go.   Clevinger had four MLB average pitches at the time of the trade and all of them could only get better.   His biggest issue in those days was his follow through was kinda wonky.  They finally started to change that in 2014 after he came back from the injury...    Was painful to see him be traded.

I believe I supported the trade at the time because Pestano's peripherals were in good shape and he had previous back-end experience. Unfortunately he never stuck in the 25-man.

Just now, ettin said:

I believe I supported the trade at the time because Pestano's peripherals were in good shape and he had previous back-end experience. Unfortunately he never stuck in the 25-man.

Clevinger was a guy in A ball at the time of the trade...  Easy enough to dismiss when one of them gets moved..    Pestano had a pretty good track record, Clevinger was working his way back from injury....   Both teams were gambling on upside..   He was someone I really liked...  But so was Elliot Morris who never recovered from his arm woes...  Another guy I liked and was somewhat in a similar situation -- Jared Ruxer....   The dude Eppler moved for Pounders.  

7 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Based on just 3 starts this year, though? Way too small of a sample size to judge a pitcher and you know that. Clevinger didn't do so hot last year so I doubt you were calling him dumb for making this trade.

Yeah.... Those 40+ sub 3.00 ER starts at AA-AAA and outstanding peripherals have nothing to do with it.   Even last year when he wasn't wrecking house he managed to allow fewer hits than IP while nearly striking out a batter an inning.

There is more to pitching performance than looking at someone's ERA.

4 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

Looking at Clevinger's numbers (11 BB in 17 IP), Alex Meyer is basically a poor man's Clevinger.

You aren't too far off there...   Clevinger has a wider tool set and experienced much greater success in the higher levels than has Meyer, but they both have had command issues which slowed their rise to MLB.   (injuries too).