• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

Josh Hatcher is a 2017 OF/LHP/1B with a 6-2 180 lb. frame from Albany, GA who attends Lee County HS. Projectable athletic body with some present strength and room for plenty more. 6.74 runner, smooth and balanced actions in the outfield, smooth with good footwork, loose arm with some whip coming through, arm projects well. Left handed hitter, tall straight stance, smooth and fluid swing, front side stays closed but hips fire well, good extension and separation, bat speed will keep moving forward as he fills out and gets stronger. Very interesting athlete who has lots of projection. Good student.

https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=387802

Related to Mickey? :D

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

I love how the write ups for our latest draftees indicate they're "good students". 

I was a good student. Can I get drafted?

They should include that only if they attended a private school, where it actually means something

Angels hope Draft class revitalizes system

Swanson said he was particularly excited about snagging Creighton right-hander Keith Rogalla (12th round) and Samford University left fielder Kevin Williams (13th round) on Wednesday. Rogalla, listed at 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, logged a 4.54 ERA with 70 strikeouts and 35 walks over 71 1/3 innings in 12 starts this season. The 5-foot-11, 191-pound Williams batted .256 with 11 home runs, 13 doubles and 34 RBIs over 58 games with Samford this year.

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/236569086/angels-hope-17-draft-class-revitalizes-system/

5 hours ago, John Smith said:

Angels hope Draft class revitalizes system

Swanson said he was particularly excited about snagging Creighton right-hander Keith Rogalla (12th round) and Samford University left fielder Kevin Williams (13th round) on Wednesday. Rogalla, listed at 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, logged a 4.54 ERA with 70 strikeouts and 35 walks over 71 1/3 innings in 12 starts this season. The 5-foot-11, 191-pound Williams batted .256 with 11 home runs, 13 doubles and 34 RBIs over 58 games with Samford this year.

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/236569086/angels-hope-17-draft-class-revitalizes-system/

ANAHEIM -- As he prepared to oversee his first MLB Draft with the Angels, new amateur scouting director Matt Swanson decided to establish a mold for the type of players he wanted his scouts to target, one that focused on two key attributes: athleticism and upside.

Happy Days!!!!!

They definitely chased upside this draft. At the same time, we did grab some safe picks.

I think the big thing I noticed was that after our first three picks, which will clearly require significant investments due to their respective upsides, we went toward signability with picks 4-10. 

55 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Good to hear the Angels will let him rest up his arm after the long college season.

Angels felt Canning's UCLA workload was in line with that of a 3rd-year player in their organization. Didn't feel he needed more innings.

-----------

This org got smarter recently...

1 hour ago, Lou said:

That's because the public school kids are away on summer vacation

That's like saying getting a 4.0 is only an achievement if you are an Ivy League grad. Not only is it pretentious, it's also dense and misinformed. Some of my kids are the highest performers in the state and have tested years ahead of their local private school counterparts.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

That's like saying getting a 4.0 is only an achievement if you are an Ivy League grad. Not only is it pretentious, it's also dense and misinformed. Some of my kids are the highest performers in the state and have tested years ahead of their local private school counterparts.

I won't believe a word you say on the issue until they make a movie about you starring Edward James Olmos.   (Working title:  Stats and Deliver)

On June 17, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Scotty@AW said:

I'm sure your students are the exception and more than 95% of the graduates go to college, as they do from private schools. 

Keep up the good work. 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

I'm sure your students are the exception and more than 95% of the graduates go to college, as they do from private schools. 

Keep up the good work. 

I'd love to see where you pulled 95% from.....actually on second thought, no, don't show anyone that part of your body.

And I'm referring to the SBAC.