• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

4 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

So here's a crazy thought: The draft only goes 40 rounds. And, as far as I know, the bonuses and pool limits only apply to those players taken in the draft. What if a fairly good HS or college player went undrafted and then signed as an undrafted free agent? Are there any limits to how much a team could spend then? Say, someone like Tristen Beck: could we spend what we wanted to sign him as an undrafted free agent? Is that a loophole a team could exploit?

Beck has two years of availability..   He goes back to school, gets healthy and is eligible for the draft again.   Draft eligible sophomores aren't allowed to sign as undrafted FAs.   Not sure if there is a set protocol for HS types but, I'm pretty sure the owners have a gentlemen's agreement in place.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Beck has two years of availability..   He goes back to school, gets healthy and is eligible for the draft again.   Draft eligible sophomores aren't allowed to sign as undrafted FAs.   Not sure if there is a set protocol for HS types but, I'm pretty sure the owners have a gentlemen's agreement in place.

Okay. I really wonder, though, if a team could do that then with a HS Senior or not. Could an independent league sign the player to a contract and then a Major League team sign him from there? It would be an interesting loophole.

20 595 Angels Mitchell Traver RHP Texas Christian TX

Pool

Scouting

Scouting Report:

Traver's stuff is good enough get him drafted at some point on day two. His medical history will likely make him wait until day three. That was the case last year as well, when his lengthy medical history led him to fall to the Reds in the 17th round. He was drafted by the Cubs in the 28th round the year before. Traver missed his freshman year at TCU because of Tommy John surgery. He also had a rib removed because of thoracic outlet syndrome. A back injury wiped out his redshirt freshman year, and he missed further time as a redshirt junior because of back issues. Traver missed the start of this season as well because of back problems, but once he got back on the mound, he's shown the same solid stuff he's featured year after year. Traver will sit 91-93 mph and touch 95 at his best with a plus slider. He also mixes in a potentially average changeup. Three average or better pitches and Traver's track record would make him a high draft pick if not for the medical concerns which will lead some teams to avoid him completely.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/index.php

Just now, Dave Saltzer said:

Okay. I really wonder, though, if a team could do that then with a HS Senior or not. Could an independent league sign the player to a contract and then a Major League team sign him from there? It would be an interesting loophole.

No, it's a good question and I don't recall ever reading if they had any rules in place.   There has to be something though -- I hate to bring him up again but Matt Harrington's situation makes me wonder.  He was drafted in 2000, didn't sign and then sat out a year and was drafted again.   He didnt sign in 2001 either..  So instead of sitting out he signed with an independent league team in Long Beach and then was drafted AGAIN in 2002.    There is likely something in place or it would have been done by now -- Boras wouldnt have let any gentlemen's agreement stop him from working a deal.

1 minute ago, John Smith said:
20 595 Angels Mitchell Traver RHP Texas Christian TX

Pool

Scouting

Scouting Report:

Traver's stuff is good enough get him drafted at some point on day two. His medical history will likely make him wait until day three. That was the case last year as well, when his lengthy medical history led him to fall to the Reds in the 17th round. He was drafted by the Cubs in the 28th round the year before. Traver missed his freshman year at TCU because of Tommy John surgery. He also had a rib removed because of thoracic outlet syndrome. A back injury wiped out his redshirt freshman year, and he missed further time as a redshirt junior because of back issues. Traver missed the start of this season as well because of back problems, but once he got back on the mound, he's shown the same solid stuff he's featured year after year. Traver will sit 91-93 mph and touch 95 at his best with a plus slider. He also mixes in a potentially average changeup. Three average or better pitches and Traver's track record would make him a high draft pick if not for the medical concerns which will lead some teams to avoid him completely.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/index.php

Was his draft position DL?   Nice value pick up potentially.

So far we have drafted 16 pitchers. I wonder what that says about our organization . . . 

At some point, we will need to get some infielders and things to round out the teams for these players. My guess is in the 30s we will see a run on position players to round things out.

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

So here's a crazy thought: The draft only goes 40 rounds. And, as far as I know, the bonuses and pool limits only apply to those players taken in the draft. What if a fairly good HS or college player went undrafted and then signed as an undrafted free agent? Are there any limits to how much a team could spend then? Say, someone like Tristen Beck: could we spend what we wanted to sign him as an undrafted free agent? Is that a loophole a team could exploit?

I have a strong feeling that MLB would see that and bring the hammer down on a team that tried to do it. The optics would be really bad and it would be defying the spirit of the draft in my opinion which is why it probably wouldn't happen.