• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

11     325     Angels     Jeryell Rivera      

Jerryell Rivera Gonzalez is a 2017 LHP with a 6-3 180 lb. frame from Toa Baja, PR. Young square shouldered build, very long arms for his size, projects well physically. Wrapped arm action in back, loose fast arm coming through, high 3/4's arm slot, pretty low effort delivery and release. Upper 80's fastball, topped out at 90 mph, gets good running action when he's in the zone, works arm side and tends to miss arm side as well. Primary fastball pitcher, still learning how to spin the ball and change speeds, curveball will flash some spin at times. Young pitcher with lots of physical potential with time and patience.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=477192

15     445     Angels     Hunter Brittain     C

Hunter Brittain is a 2017 C with a 5-9 185 lb. frame from Brewton, AL who attends TR Miller HS. Compact athletic build, good present strength. Shows athleticism behind the plate, 7.27 runner, has quick feet with very good footwork throwing, gains ground well, nice arm strength with a smooth release, 2.03 best pop time. Right handed hitter, open stance, wrapped barrel to start, has a long swing with some uppercut plane but swings hard and creates bat speed, power approach that can be shortened up, will have the strength and bat speed to project as a hitter. Has the tools for the position. Good student.

https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=451988

I just looked at the list of 17 players the Angels have drafted so far and I am highly disturbed by the fact that the Angels selected five potential center fielders.... Now that could simply be wanting athletic defenders in the outfield even if they move to a corner position eventually but it could also mean.... :( Hedging their bets perhaps.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

I just looked at the list of 17 players the Angels have drafted so far and I am highly disturbed by the fact that the Angels selected five potential center fielders.... Now that could simply be wanting athletic defenders in the outfield even if they move to a corner position eventually but it could also mean.... :( Hedging their bets perhaps.

I could have gone my whole life without this being pointed out.:afraid:

4 minutes ago, ettin said:

I'd guess it's more likely that many of these guys won't make it anyway, through whatever attrition there may be.  Depending on the needs of the ball club, I could see any of them that have the bat and overall aptitude to move to a corner as they age and fill out.  Also, I believe that by the time some of these kids are ready, Trout will move to left.  He won't stay in center field forever. 

He's too fat.

7 minutes ago, ettin said:

CFs can move anywhere in the OF, or the IF corners more often than not.    I think this is Epp being true to the old saber principles of adding players from the plus end of the defensive spectrum out...   He's definitely shown a propensity to pursue certain qualities/abilities.

The more I see of Epp the more I like the way he goes about things.   I know when he came aboard he said he wasn't as into sabermetrics as some, but everything he's done since coming here has shown him to be much more inclined to follow saber principles than any of his immediate predecessors.  

18 minutes ago, halomatt said:

I'd guess it's more likely that many of these guys won't make it anyway, through whatever attrition there may be.  Depending on the needs of the ball club, I could see any of them that have the bat and overall aptitude to move to a corner as they age and fill out.  Also, I believe that by the time some of these kids are ready, Trout will move to left.  He won't stay in center field forever. 

He's too fat.

Actually Matt thanks for the reminder as I too have thought about Trout eventually moving to LF at some point in the future. This could simply be preparation for that eventual outcome or it could very well be wanting defensive players. I'll shelve it for now it just gave me a massive frighten when it first popped in my wee lil brain.

A lengthy medical report is the only reason Mitchell Traver lasted til the 20th round. Could be nice pickup for the Angels.

#Angels take Mitchell Traver from TCU; former Perfect Game All American. Senior sign; 91-93 with solid curveball.

So here's a crazy thought: The draft only goes 40 rounds. And, as far as I know, the bonuses and pool limits only apply to those players taken in the draft. What if a fairly good HS or college player went undrafted and then signed as an undrafted free agent? Are there any limits to how much a team could spend then? Say, someone like Tristen Beck: could we spend what we wanted to sign him as an undrafted free agent? Is that a loophole a team could exploit?

Just now, greginpsca said:

That's what i thought. Probably giving the teams a little break to regroup. Today is going at a pretty frantic pace.

Its funny because it's only been in recent years where they took their time with the first ten rounds..  They used to fly from it from the start -- but as more and more people go tinto the other drafts and the internet grew, baseball finally decided to make their draft more of an event...

I think its awesome that Mike Trout will always be remembered as the first guy to show up in studio for the draft.

1 minute ago, Dave Saltzer said:

So here's a crazy thought: The draft only goes 40 rounds. And, as far as I know, the bonuses and pool limits only apply to those players taken in the draft. What if a fairly good HS or college player went undrafted and then signed as an undrafted free agent? Are there any limits to how much a team could spend then? Say, someone like Tristen Beck: could we spend what we wanted to sign him as an undrafted free agent? Is that a loophole a team could exploit?

If they are out of school, they can be an undrafted free agent. That is how the Angels got Shoemaker.