• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

2 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Is Erstad such a gamer that he'd say bad things about the club to keep one of his players? I doubt it. But, it's an interesting test of his desire to win vs. desire to see a player succeed.

Des Moines Roosevelt's John Swanda says he plans to sign with the #Angels.

4 hours ago, red321 said:

Jacob Pearson. High School OF, left handed bat. Louisiana Player of the Year. No arm, but 20/20 capability according to mlb talking heads

Pearson, the 2017 Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year and MVP of the LSWA’s Class 5A All-State team, told the News-Star he would attend LSU unless he received an offer he couldn’t refuse in professional baseball.  

“My goal is to get to the big leagues,” Pearson told the News-Star prior to the draft.

“If going out of high school is my best chance then I’m not going to turn it down, but if going to LSU is my best chance, then I’ll be in Baton Rouge.”

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/06/13/wms-pearson-picked-angels-mlb-draft/393540001/

9 265 Angels Brett Hanewich RHP Stanford CA

Pool

Scouting

Scouting Report:

Hanewich was a stalwart in Stanford's rotation in 2014-15, making 27 starts over that span despite averaging 4.6 walks per nine innings in that span. However, the Bradenton, Fla., native has battled control issues and nagging injuries the last two seasons, when he's thrown just 70 innings. Hanewich throws across his body a bit but has a lively, heavy fastball when he locates it, at times sitting as high as 91-96 mph and at others parking at 90-93 with sink. His fastball command remains below-average; he's hit 46 batters in four season as he struggles to locate his heater. His slider remains inconsistent but can flash plus at up to 80 mph. Recruited as a third baseman and pitcher, Hanewich has strength at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds and not much projection, but there's room for growth if a club can get the senior to improve his delivery and get him on time more often.

21 hours ago, totdprods said:

Read this in a blurb...
"Adell could put his professional career on hold to play college baseball at the University of Louisville, which offered him a scholarship when he was 14. The Cardinals, a baseball powerhouse, have long envisioned Adell as a two-way player."

Swanson coming from STL was probably very aware of this kid and the Cards interest in him, and has been for awhile. Good bet that they've really done their research on him. And if the Cards wanted him, that's a great sign. 

He grew up in Pujols turf too. ;)

I believe the "Cardinals" referenced here was not the St Louis Baseball Cardinals, rather the Louisville University Cardinals.

I find it amusing...mlb.tv guys at this point they don't really know who any of these guys are...they are just surfing the web like everyone else.

Daniel Procopio, Niagara University. RHP, Sr.

From Toronto. 58 innings, 75ks, opponents hit .203 against him

20 minutes ago, red321 said:

I find it amusing...mlb.tv guys at this point they don't really know who any of these guys are...they are just surfing the web like everyone else.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=daniel-procopio

19 minutes ago, red321 said:

Jonathan Mayo had the funniest look on his face when he found out he had been throwing upper 90s his senior year -- was neat to hear Sutton bring up the stats for some of our picks then say stuff like.  "If you're finding guys that performed like this, you are doing your scouting".   Further proof that things have changed in Anaheim.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Joseph Booker, RHP. 

I'm not finding anything from MLB or BA on him. 

5 145 Angels Joseph Booker RHP Miller HS, Brewton, Ala. AL

Pool

Scouting

Scouting Report:

On the right day, Booker can work at 89-93 with two average offspeed pitches. He isn't overpowering or overwhelming, but he competes with a well-rounded arsenal. Most scouts see him as a back of the top 10 rounds talent, thinking he could be in play for an above-slot deal on day three of the draft. He is raw, but athletic and projectable. Booker is committed to South Alabama.

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

Will luke heimlich be picked? Never heard of him until a few days ago, but apparently he was/is pretty good.  Obviously a tough PR look if a team does draft him

I cannot imagine a team picking him, if just for the idea of the pr nightmare and any team clubhouse where players have small children

10 hours ago, red321 said:

This is why the baseball draft is so much better than nfl...picks fly by, no reason to wait 15 friggen minutes between picks

But it's balanced by the fact that people other than their friends and family have ever heard of the NFL draftees.