• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

It's silly to speculate too much on how a draft is going to affect the big league club's roster and plans now, but with them going so heavy on HS players and younger prep players, I wonder if we are seeing a sign that they're going to try and supplement the team via FA this offseason, without putting much hope into help coming from the farm for a couple years. 

Adding this much talent to that crop in the farm leads some thought that they'll trade from that wave of players eventually too.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It's silly to speculate too much on how a draft is going to affect the big league club's roster and plans now, but with them going so heavy on HS players and younger prep players, I wonder if we are seeing a sign that they're going to try and supplement the team via FA this offseason, without putting much hope into help coming from the farm for a couple years. 

Adding this much talent to that crop in the farm leads some thought that they'll trade from that wave of players eventually too.

Maybe it's a precursor that we will be active in the international market as well.

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Poor old Matt Harrington. Wanted $4.95MM in 2000, turned down the $4MM the Rockies offered, now makes $11.50 an hour at Costco. His agent was an idiot.

Maybe -- but Harrington fired Tanzer, hired Boras and then watched as he turned down a second contract offer for more than 1 mil because he wanted twice that ...   At some point the kid should have said -- hey, this is my money you're playing poker with.

If I was a High School junior right now projected to be drafted after my senior year I'd change my name right now to a legendary baseball name. Imagine the hype: Babe Ruth expected to be drafted in top 10 in 2018 draft. Who could pass it up? I think there must have been something funky in my fajitas I had for lunch. Going to go lie down now.

Keep drafting the HSers Halos!

6 175 Angels Jonah Todd OF Auburn AL

Pool

Scouting

Scouting Report:

Todd walked on to Auburn, requiring him to skip playing summer ball last year in favor of working at a Walmart to earn money for housing. A prep pitcher, Todd played two years as Marion Military JC before Auburn recruited him as a walk-on, but he quickly earned the everyday center-field job. Tigers assistant Doug Sisson, who coached in pro ball for 20-plus years, took a liking to Todd, whose arm and speed grade as average, as does his center-field defense. Todd has minimal power but may have hit his way into the first seven rounds by batting .382/.466/.479 with more walks than strikeouts. His bat-to-ball skills may push him to the majors as a future extra outfielder.

7 205 Angels Dennis Brady RHP Mercer (N.J.) JC NJ

Pool

Scouting

Scouting Report:

Brady pitched sparingly as a freshman at East Carolina, logging only 12.1 innings in 2016. He transferred to Mercer County CC (N.J.) for his sophomore year and was one of the best junior college performers in the nation; in 84.1 innings he struck out 118, walked 10 and allowed just nine earned runs. Brady's fastball works from 90-94 mph and he shows the potential for an average breaking ball, a slurvy offering that he manipulates and changes the shape of well. He's committed to Old Dominion for his junior year.

2 minutes ago, John Smith said:
8 235 Angels Connor Riley RHP USC Aiken SC

Pool

Scouting

Scouting Report:

Riley struck out an insane 130 batters in 83 innings during his senior year at USC Aiken, but he's small at just 6-0 and can be hot or cold on the mound as far as his control is concerned.

Man, if you gotta start picking college seniors you may as well chase guys who put up video game numbers...