• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Man -- Angels were linked to him for a long long time -- they were supposedly one of the first teams that had a guy following him everywhere -- based on his comments before the draft that he wanted to go somewhere he knew he was wanted..   Im guessing he's happy.

Good point, IP. I'm thinking he signs quick as a result. 

Sickels: " The Angels need upside and Adell certainly provides that with speed, power, and excellent arm strength. There’s some rawness in his game but he looked better this spring and boosted his stock. His makeup also draws raves."

Full scouting report:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/4/28/15346772/2017-mlb-draft-jordan-adell-of-ballard-hs-louisville-kentucky

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

You're looking at the newest #1 prospect in our Top 30 ladies and gents. 

I compare Adell to Starling Marte, Jason Heyward, Andre Dawson, Kyle Parker, Austin Meadows type.

Harold Reynolds had a good comp earlier in Preston Wilson. A former 40/40 MLB player.

I don't think Kyle Parker, Meadows and Marte are good comps because they've lacked the bigtime power/speed combo. 

2 minutes ago, ivdown said:

While I am surprised the Angels didn't take another catcher (i'm sure that will be their second pick, lol), this seems like a very nice pick for them. 

Nope. There's a new regime in amateur scouting with the Angels. 

Read this in a blurb...
"Adell could put his professional career on hold to play college baseball at the University of Louisville, which offered him a scholarship when he was 14. The Cardinals, a baseball powerhouse, have long envisioned Adell as a two-way player."

Swanson coming from STL was probably very aware of this kid and the Cards interest in him, and has been for awhile. Good bet that they've really done their research on him. And if the Cards wanted him, that's a great sign. 

He grew up in Pujols turf too. ;)

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Harold Reynolds had a good comp earlier in Preston Wilson. A former 40/40 MLB player.

I don't think Kyle Parker, Meadows and Marte are good comps because they've lacked the bigtime power/speed combo. 

Was just looking up Wilson a few minutes ago. He retired in 2007 and is still only 42 now. His defense just fell off a cliff, though his offense was right behind him. He had some good potential early on in his career. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Sometimes strength doesn't turn turn into power and speed doesn't turn into stolen bases. Those things take a degree of refinement.