• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

50 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not a fan of Haseley at #10.  He is a safe bet to be a big leaguer, but I am afraid he will be a comer outfielder that hits 12 homers. . . And is nothing more than a plug in body complimentary player on a roster.

I hate drafting guys like that because you can always just sign a second tier outfielder if you need one.

I want a higher ceiling, potential high impact player.  I am praying Adell is there at #10.

Also I know Haseley would get to the big leaguers a couple years before Adell and we have the Trout window to consider.

Bit what would you prefer?  To have a pedestrian bat at a corner OF spot reaching the majors OR have a dynamic elite toolsy Adell at AA to use as trade equity for a high impact player to pair with Trout?

I haven't dipped into this year's draftees as much as I used to, so I'm going off just the few things I've read, and one article comped Haseley to Tyler Naquin, a 1st Rd. #15 pick.
Naquin was in the bigs at 25 and slashed .296/.372/.514/.886 with 14 HRs right off the bat. I don't think Naquin (nor Haseley) will have that much power, but we're still awfully thin on MLB-ready OF prospects and Haseley could fill that need. I don't think the org should draft based on need like that per se, but it certainly would help out the farm and have a shot at helping the MLB team in the short-term. Haseley seems to be pretty good at controlling K's and making contact, which is something we've seen Eppler prioritize with the MLB roster and with the Thaiss pick. 

Could also see Haseley and Jones start to cross paths in the minors as well, and begin setting them up on similar timelines to land in Anaheim, propping up next to Trout, or God forbid, begin angling up as Trout replacements. 

And, don't forget Marsh too. Between him and Jones, we already have a couple young, toolsy, high-upside OF types. Marsh has some catching up to do of course, but they could run on similar timelines at some point. Haseley could contrast well with them.

I'm so ready for the draft!

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I haven't dipped into this year's draftees as much as I used to, so I'm going off just the few things I've read, and one article comped Haseley to Tyler Naquin, a 1st Rd. #15 pick.
Naquin was in the bigs at 25 and slashed .296/.372/.514/.886 with 14 HRs right off the bat. I don't think Naquin (nor Haseley) will have that much power, but we're still awfully thin on MLB-ready OF prospects and Haseley could fill that need. I don't think the org should draft based on need like that per se, but it certainly would help out the farm and have a shot at helping the MLB team in the short-term. Haseley seems to be pretty good at controlling K's and making contact, which is something we've seen Eppler prioritize with the MLB roster and with the Thaiss pick. 

Could also see Haseley and Jones start to cross paths in the minors as well, and begin setting them up on similar timelines to land in Anaheim, propping up next to Trout, or God forbid, begin angling up as Trout replacements. 

And, don't forget Marsh too. Between him and Jones, we already have a couple young, toolsy, high-upside OF types. Marsh has some catching up to do of course, but they could run on similar timelines at some point. Haseley could contrast well with them.

I'm so ready for the draft!

Isn't Nonnie Williams considered "toolsy" too?

36 minutes ago, Brent Maguire said:

Adell for me and it's not close. More athletic, better raw power, better speed, extremely good makeup and work ethic reviews. High upside player who has his obvious swing and miss concerns for a player that raw but I like him much better than Beck, who is a good player in his own right. Beck features better bat speed and played against better competition but I still like Adell's full skill set more. 

It's amazing that this guy isn't a consensus top 5 pick based on what I'm reading.

I really hope he falls to us and we draft him. 

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It's amazing that this guy isn't a consensus top 5 pick based on what I'm reading.

I really hope he falls to us and we draft him. 

The biggest worry with him is the gauging how real his skills are given he raked against sub par competition. The tools are there to succeed but the question scouts have are about whether he'll rake against better competition. If anyone hasn't seen, Adell's numbers this year were off the charts. He hit 25 home runs and struck out just 10 times all season in 35 games. 

Whether we like it or not, mlb is becoming a home run contest.  Pitchers make mistakes and the game is now set up to get a run or runs out of that ONE mistake rather than a bullet single.

If each team gets the same number of mistake pitches in a game, the team loaded with all the power that punishes those mistakes is often going to win over the team that sprays the ball.

I dont want to use a high first round pick on somebody I cannot imagine hitting in the middle of the lineup.

Get some power.

Draft-day mock: First-round projections:

10. Angels
Mayo: Adam Haseley, OF, Virginia - The Angels had been mentioned with Adell quite a bit all spring but he's off the board, and the team that went with Matt Thaiss in 2016 would be happy to go back to Virginia if Haseley is still available.
Callis: Alex Faedo, RHP, Florida - Los Angeles has several potential college options: the Virginia hitters, Faedo and North Carolina right-hander J.B. Bukauskas, who's sliding a bit after a poor start against Davidson in the NCAA regionals. The Angels also have been linked to Adell.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/235886620/mock-draft-for-first-round-of-2017-mlb-draft/

2017 MLB Mock Draft 5.0

Here’s our last-minute mock draft update, although the draft is still fluid with less than an hour until the first pick is announced.

10. Angels
3202.png

PickJ.B. Bukauskas, rhp, North Carolina |

FYI

17. Mariners
3ds_mariners83.jpg

PickJordon Adell, of, Ballard HS, Louisville |

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2017-mlb-mock-draft-5-0/#wkQciOGtG13hF69d.97

7 minutes ago, John Smith said:

2017 MLB Mock Draft 5.0

Here’s our last-minute mock draft update, although the draft is still fluid with less than an hour until the first pick is announced.

10. Angels
3202.png

PickJ.B. Bukauskas, rhp, North Carolina |

FYI

17. Mariners
3ds_mariners83.jpg

PickJordon Adell, of, Ballard HS, Louisville |

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2017-mlb-mock-draft-5-0/#wkQciOGtG13hF69d.97

I would rather have Adell. He is one of 4 kids at the draft so you know he's going to sign..and this team has drafted enough pitching over the years. Get some long term position talent instead.