• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

Looks like Faedo could become at Jered Weaver type. 

His stuff isn't overpowering, but filthy nonetheless. Most will confirm he has two plus-pitches, that often play plus-plus. MLB Pipeline gives both his fastball and slider a grade of 60, but say both can touch 70. His fastball touches 92 to 95 miles per hour, but has been clocked higher when he unloads. His slider, once inconsistent, may be the best the college ranks have to offer. It hits as high as 87 according to most reports and has a serious bite. If batters make contact, it’s not very hard, and it has become a big time out pitch for the righty. He adds in a seldom-used changeup that hits in the lower 80s. The lack of use makes it his "worst" offering, but it is still an above-average offering.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/3/4/14813978/2017-mlb-draft-profile-alex-faedo-rhp-florida-gators

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of these kids for our #10 selection today. Jeren Kendall, J.B. Bukauskas, Austin Beck, Jordon Adell, Adam Haseley, Shane Baz, Keston Hiura and even Alex Faedo.

They all have pluses and minuses in their scouting reports, as did Mike Trout, Troy Glaus and even Darin Erstad. 

Of those mentioned, I'm hoping we get one of these three: Bukauskas, Beck and Adell. 

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got any of the others mentioned. 

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of these kids for our #10 selection today. Jeren Kendall, J.B. Bukauskas, Austin Beck, Jordon Adell, Adam Haseley, Shane Baz, Keston Hiura and even Alex Faedo.

They all have pluses and minuses in their scouting reports, as did Mike Trout, Troy Glaus and even Darin Erstad. 

Of those mentioned, I'm hoping we get one of these three: Bukauskas, Beck and Adell. 

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got any of the others mentioned. 

Yeah....   I thinks thats the reality of this draft...  IMO, there are only a handful of guys in this draft that are likely studs -- Hunter Greene, Brendan McKay, McKenzie Gore, Kyle Wright -- by likely, I mean better than average bets to be above average players.  Once you past the top 4-5  it's a bunch of guys who should be good MLB players.  I don't know that the guy available at 10 will be that much better than the guy available at 20, or even 30 -- it's just one of those drafts, not bad mind you, just not really teeming with massive upsides..   So, I'm hoping for the biggest possible upside in whoever we end up taking -- Adell's been my favorite all spring because the tools are all there, but i think the team will make out okay either way.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think it'll either be Haseley, Bukauskas, or Faedo...I think someone else is gonna scoop up Adell first, and a collegiate player will give them a shot at helping sooner rather than later.

Yeah... I really want Adell, but I don't think he's what's best for the org, short term. 

We may not see him in an Angels uni for 4-5 years as he may need time developing plate discipline, unless he reaches the bigs quickly like B.J. Upton & Bryon Buxton, who he's compared to. 

I also agree with you @totdprods that someone will draft Adell before our pick, even though Mock Drafts say otherwise. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah... I really want Adell, but I don't think he's what's best for the org, short term. 

We may not see him in an Angels uni for 4-5 years as he may need time developing plate discipline, unless he reaches the bigs quickly like B.J. Upton & Bryon Buxton, who he's compared to. 

And that would be nice, and desperately need it, but feel they're gonna play it safe. Get a college player who they'll be able to sign for slot value or have a little more leverage with, not a prep talent who they may have to go over for. Overall, I think we'll see a little blend of both types of players this year. The Cardinals seemed like they tended to err a little more towards the safer, college players too, and with Swanson being in the org I could see that carrying over a bit.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And that would be nice, and desperately need it, but feel they're gonna play it safe. Get a college player who they'll be able to sign for slot value or have a little more leverage with, not a prep talent who they may have to go over for. Overall, I think we'll see a little blend of both types of players this year. The Cardinals seemed like they tended to err a little more towards the safer, college players too, and with Swanson being in the org I could see that carrying over a bit.

Though at the same time, Thaiss was drafted out of college and was the consensus "safe pick" and he hasn't really knocked anyone's socks off. Especially hitting in a friendly league to hitters. 

Faedo is being a little under appreciated. The knee injuries are an obvious concern and the drop in velo earlier in the year scared some teams but his stuff is very good and he's got the big frame to give innings. I watched his past start against Wake Forest, who have 2 projected top 75 hitters(Stuart Fairchild and Gavin Sheets) and he was absolutely lights out in 4 innings(rain shortened his start). He was 92-96 on the fastball, throwing plus-plus sliders and even mixing in a workable changeup. I believe he had something like 15 swing and misses in just those 4 innings against one of NCAA's best offenses.

He's not my first choice, as I'd rather go Hiura/Adell/Baz, but Faedo is a top 15 talent who was even considered a 1:1 guy before 2017 began. 

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Though at the same time, Thaiss was drafted out of college and was the consensus "safe pick" and he hasn't really knocked anyone's socks off. Especially hitting in a friendly league to hitters. 

Yeah, but Thaiss wasn't really seen as a top 15 type guy though. We got him early to save some bucks for our later picks. 

I am not a fan of Haseley at #10.  He is a safe bet to be a big leaguer, but I am afraid he will be a comer outfielder that hits 12 homers. . . And is nothing more than a plug in body complimentary player on a roster.

I hate drafting guys like that because you can always just sign a second tier outfielder if you need one.

I want a higher ceiling, potential high impact player.  I am praying Adell is there at #10.

Also I know Haseley would get to the big leaguers a couple years before Adell and we have the Trout window to consider.

Bit what would you prefer?  To have a pedestrian bat at a corner OF spot reaching the majors OR have a dynamic elite toolsy Adell at AA to use as trade equity for a high impact player to pair with Trout?

On 6/3/2017 at 5:26 PM, Scotty@AW said:

....This is an organization that is surprisingly deep, but lacks the impact talent beyond Jahmai, Thaiss, Marsh and Nonie. 

No...we are thin, not deep...that's the problem.. 

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

What are your thoughts on Nick Pratto guys?

Local talent with a bunch of upside as a position player. 

Thoughts?

I think there are worries about him underperforming a bit this spring and I'm not sure how much impact his bat will fully have. He's a very good defender at 1B and has the raw power to hit 25 HR but some scouts are worried about his swing producing the full potential he has. I'd love him if he somehow fell to #47 but he's not a good fit at #10 IMO.

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If you guys had to pick between two available OF's at our spot between Beck and Adell, who would you select?

Adell for me and it's not close. More athletic, better raw power, better speed, extremely good makeup and work ethic reviews. High upside player who has his obvious swing and miss concerns for a player that raw but I like him much better than Beck, who is a good player in his own right. Beck features better bat speed and played against better competition but I still like Adell's full skill set more. 

27 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If you guys had to pick between two available OF's at our spot between Beck and Adell, who would you select?

Adell and it's not close..     He's raw, but his physical tools are across the board plusses.   Beck saw better competition, is further along.   So the risk here is, do you take the guy that saw weaker comp and is less further along but dominated or the guy that played against better competition but doesnt have the same ceiling.