• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I can tell you right now, if the Angels draft Faedo they'll have wasted their best chance at elite talent in nearly a decade. Faldo looks like a major leaguer, don't get me wrong. But he also looks like he'll top out as a #3/4 starter. You need guys like that, but not with a Top 10 pick.

42 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, just want to go on record early as saying thank you @John Smith for what will undoubtedly be your excellent news-hounding of prospect info during and after the draft.   I know I speak for many of us when I say it's much appreciated.

Just make sure to follow him as a member and keep his page refreshed. :)

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/profile/123-john-smith/

John Smith.png

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Is it me or has the Joe Adell buzz worn off? He doesn't seem to be getting as much love in publications and talk recently.

I think it's just you. He's perpetually being "mocked" at #8-11. There are some whispers indicating that he could slip down into the 20's on draft day due to questions regarding plate discipline. I think he ends up hoingvat #9 or 10.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:30 PM, tdawg87 said:

No Adell? 

Adell was a pure tools guy coming into this year -- most people viewed him as immensely talented but was thought to be very raw.  He wasn't expected to come along the way he did and then BAM -- kid absolutely blew up.   He's got some of the same intangibles our current CF has -- great family, by all accounts his work ethic is off the charts,  the kid is said to be very intelligent.   He's been pure helium this Spring but there are questions about whether or not it's real or just a case of a talented kid beating up on weak competition...   So, I'm hoping those things scare off people looking for a sure thing in the top 10 and the Angels maybe get lightning in a bottle for a second time.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Hiura isn't in the top 20, I wonder if he drops to a second round pick because of impending surgery.

Hiura is the best hitter in the draft, bar none.  If he didn't require the TJ surgery and miss a year of development, he'd likely go Top 10.  McKay's swing is too long and he profiles better as a pitcher.  Smith is Thaiss redux, Haseley's bat doesn't project well as a corner OF and his defense isn't good enough for CF.  Kendall has swing and miss issues in college that'll only be amplified in the professional ranks, and Jake Burger is all power, not a lot else.

There are a lot of good prep bats in the draft, Royce Lewis, Jo Adell, Austin Beck, Nick Pratto.  But you just can't compare high school seniors with college juniors.  Lewis and Pratto are the best hitters in the high school rank, but Beck and Adell have the upside. 

With hours to go, BA has its mock draft 4.5 out. Here's what they have for us . . . In this scenario, Adell is still not picked.

10. Angels
3202.png
Another tough one to divine, but the Angels are regularly connected to college players. Last year’s Virginia first baseman, Matt Thaiss, isn’t working out so hot so far, so we’re sticking with a college pitcher.

Pick: Alex Faedo, rhp, Florida | bba_video_icon_red