• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Lock Trout Down

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Good lord! As good as he is this just seems like a really poor investment. Unless money becomes no object for Arte. 

Well I'm just speculating. But consider that the highest AAV is currently Zach Greinke at $34MM, then Miguel Cabrera at $31MM. And then that Machado and Harper will be free agents exiting their age 25 seasons, and are probably going to get the two highest AAVs in major league history, maybe $30-35MM for Machado, $35-40MM for Harper? And so Trout will get more...so there you have $40MM being a baseline.

28 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well I'm just speculating. But consider that the highest AAV is currently Zach Greinke at $34MM, then Miguel Cabrera at $31MM. And then that Machado and Harper will be free agents exiting their age 25 seasons, and are probably going to get the two highest AAVs in major league history, maybe $30-35MM for Machado, $35-40MM for Harper? And so Trout will get more...so there you have $40MM being a baseline.

You're probably right but these salaries are mind boggling 

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I see $40 million as a baseline yearly salary for Trout - and it could go as high as $50 million. 

Arte should’ve locked him into a lifetime contract during his last extension. I think the open market will now be a tough thing to pass up. If you’re the best baseball player in the world you’re going to want to see what every MLB club has to offer.

We should continue to build a team around him but there could be teams out there that are already winning, ready to spend and are in a better position organizationally from top to bottom. I think that’s what Mike Trout will be attracted to. 

At what point should the Angels start to feel Trout out about whether he might want to continue playing on the West Coast? Wouldn't that be valuable to know? If he isnt interested geographically or monetarily,, shouldn't the Angels try to trade him sometime in 2019?

Otherwise, all we might get is a 2nd round pick?

34 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

At what point should the Angels start to feel Trout out about whether he might want to continue playing on the West Coast? Wouldn't that be valuable to know? If he isnt interested geographically or monetarily,, shouldn't the Angels try to trade him sometime in 2019?

Otherwise, all we might get is a 2nd round pick?

They probably won’t address it until they absolutely need to. Arte’s not the type to get pushed to do anything even if the fans pressure him to do so. 

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

They probably won’t address it until they absolutely need to. Arte’s not the type to get pushed to do anything even if the fans pressure him to do so. 

Interesting.  And what would Arte would do, since you have him so figured out, if he were on a dirt trail in Mongolia at sunset, faced with a two-headed snake and a hungry, rabid lynx if he had a whip, a four inch blade, and a bottle of windex?  Do tell.

21 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Interesting.  And what would Arte would do, since you have him so figured out, if he were on a dirt trail in Mongolia at sunset, faced with a two-headed snake and a hungry, rabid lynx if he had a whip, a four inch blade, and a bottle of windex?  Do tell.

He’d stand pat and do nothing.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Like with Upton, right?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Well he did only agree to acquiring him at that current deal, no way he will give him more. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

BUT but....but.....he is now getting less money per year so Arte still has learned his lesson.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Something something fans asked for him. 

Arte was crafty enough to convince the fans that we got our big splash this year when it was actually last year. The fans bought it. 

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Arte is crafty enough to convince the fans they should be excited about Trout in center in 2018 when getting Trout was years ago.  And the fans are buying it.

Well they could start the season with Trout, Pujols, Upton, Simmons, Maldonado, Valbuena, Cron, a low cost second baseman to go along with some platoons while staying away from Stanton, Moustakas, Hosmer and still get 3 million fans. So yes they’re buying it. I think that the starting pitchers will make or break this team regardless. They might surprise us. 

Just so I am understanding this.  . .

If the Angels go into 2018 with what they have plus only adding a "low cost second baseman" then Arte is a bad owner duping the fans so he gets his 3 million in attendance.

If the sign legitimate upgrade free agents in an attempt to be better than that, Arte is a bad owner for wasting money.

Is that about right?

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just so I am understanding this.  . .

If the Angels go into 2018 with what they have plus only adding a "low cost second baseman" then Arte is a bad owner duping the fans so he gets his 3 million in attendance.

If the sign legitimate upgrade free agents in an attempt to be better than that, Arte is a bad owner for wasting money.

Is that about right?

Mix in some Albert hate and Yankee love and yes, you’re pretty close.

37 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

What a clown.  Trolling tongue in cheek or for real?

Well I read numerous posts here suggesting crazy acquisition after crazy acquisition. Many post suggest that Arte can afford to spend on Trout, Stanton, Gordon, Moustakas and even a few more saying that Arte should have no problem going over the luxury tax threshold. Is Arte’s wealth your wealth? 

I’m not a name caller here but buffoon should be saved for all of the people who still believe in Santa Claus. I’m not buying that Arte is going to spend a lot more money on guys like Stanton, Mouse or Hosmer because the fans want him to. He has the best player in the world in his lineup and he’s going to run with that. The fans will still be there. 

Remember that this thread is about locking down Trout. That’s all the fans really care about.

What if we did trade for Stanton? How would this affect a THEORETICAL perception on Trout's part that his isn't going to be the team's #1 attraction for the foreseeable future? Could this play into whether he re-signs with the Angels? He doesnt seem like that type of personality, admittedly.

The one thing about acquiring Stanton is that we would continue to have a player to build around, even if Trout exits. A marquee name that Arte can market, the way Albert and probably Hamilton were supposed to be.

Moreno isn't shy about spending money to improve the team when it fits the plan, like not exceeding the luxury tax.  He even said he would exceeding for the right player.

I don't know what point you are trying to make but most of what you post seems like either trolling or the symptom of being addicted to an anti-Arte storyline.

Every bit of logic and common sense and precedent says Moreno will let Eppler upgrade the lineup more than just bringing in a low cost second baseman.

What we have been witnessing for a couple of offseasons is Arte patiently waiting to have salary room to make changes, and now he has that room.  He wants to win.

Why you WANT that to not be true is both weird and requires mental gymnastics.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Moreno isn't shy about spending money to improve the team when it fits the plan, like not exceeding the luxury tax.  He even said he would exceeding for the right player.

I don't know what point you are trying to make but most of what you post seems like either trolling or the symptom of being addicted to an anti-Arte storyline.

Every bit of logic and common sense and precedent says Moreno will let Eppler upgrade the lineup more than just bringing in a low cost second baseman.

What we have been witnessing for a couple of offseasons is Arte patiently waiting to have salary room to make changes, and now he has that room.  He wants to win.

I’m just not going to waste my time on wishful thinking. I think Arte has a number that he’s willing to work with that may not satisfy everyone but it works for him. The fans will keep rolling through the turnstiles. Arte is about profit just like any other billionaire. He sees what I see that there are many lower budget teams that have schooled us since 2010. That doesn’t make him a bad owner. It’s not his first rodeo either.

I’ve said it before that Arte has had good intentions but he’s been burned by quite a few players, GMJ, Wells, Hamilton and I won’t mention the other. He also had a huge money making real estate deal from the city that went south. He also got caught bluffing his Tustin move. If the city would’ve given him that property for his usage maybe Arte would’ve continued his Yankees West approach but it didn’t happen. 

You have to remember that the casual fans that actually attend the games are Arte’s targeted audience. I sat next to a family a couple of seasons ago and one of their kids asked me which one of the players on the field was MIke Trout. He wasn’t there to see the Angels he wanted to see Mike Trout. It’s baseball and the fans here at angelswin are more in tuned with stats and performance of the players than the 99% of the people that are paying to watch the games live. 

We have some very knowledgeable in-house GM fans here that take the time to figure out Arte’s budget, roster, AAV and try to prove on paper what Arte and Eppler should do like they’re trading baseball cards. It’s not that easy. There’s 29 other teams trying to do similar things. Also remember that Eppler did say that he expects everyone to step up and hit better. 

A7447258-F594-4192-A9A3-A84B268C54F5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I dont see a shred of anti-Arte sentiment in this post at all. If anything, I am assuming he might take on the biggest contract currently in baseball. And I concede he would have a marquee name to market, that all organizations like.

Sometimes this board is just too troll-o-phobic...........and use that excuse just to counter a post that doesnt fit their mindset. Disappointing.