• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Lock Trout Down

1 minute ago, heRo said:

80 million? Cmon.  That would get you 3 or 4 elite players. Trout is great but no one player is worth that much.  Trout might get 10 WAR a season but for 80 million you could get at least four 5 WAR players, worth 20 WAR or twice what Trout is alone.  Plus there is always the possibility of injury or decline.  That's a lot of eggs in one basket.

That's just not what the market has shown. 1 WAR is running around $8mil in free agency. The last two veterans we traded for, Maybin and Escobar, are both in this vicinity. 

Trout on a 1 year contract would be worth $80mil. Obviously there is more downside to upside in that sort of deal, but if you could guarantee his past performances you could probably find a team willing to pay for it, otherwise you'll find a bunch of teams spending less money for a higher $/win.

19 minutes ago, heRo said:

80 million? Cmon.  That would get you 3 or 4 elite players. Trout is great but no one player is worth that much.  Trout might get 10 WAR a season but for 80 million you could get at least four 5 WAR players, worth 20 WAR or twice what Trout is alone.  Plus there is always the possibility of injury or decline.  That's a lot of eggs in one basket.

Yeah I keep reading that Trout would be crazy to turn down $400M - $500M guaranteed money right now but what about Arte who's already been burned by big splash deals. What if Trout signs a 10 year deal and then suffers injuries along the way that keeps him out of the lineup for long stints. It's a huge gamble for Arte to commit that kind of money.

46 minutes ago, heRo said:

I've heard this story before.  Didn't work out very well for us.

44 minutes ago, heRo said:

Trout will want to go to a winning team, nearer to home and his soon to be wife's home.  Sadly it is most likely he will end up being a Yankee.  The thought makes me sick.

Don't worry.  It won't be the Yankees.  Look at Trouts favorite football team.  They are just stockpiling young talent and have very little in significant long term contracts.  They could actually make a legit trade for Trout and still have gas on the farm and give him a blank check. 

50 minutes ago, heRo said:

It's a gamble not worth taking.  If he gets 50-60MM per year, you're talking over 1/3 of the TOTAL salary $$ going to one guy. That's not going to happen. He will go to one of the high budget teams. What we should do is enjoy him while he's here, and trade him soon so we don't suffer mediocrity for the next 10 years.

Here's what could happen.

Trout could sign an extension but I doubt it.

Trout could just honor his current deal and test the open market. I also doubt that.

Trout has a no trade clause in his deal that I thought was very calculated because it gives him total leverage on a possible trade destination. He could tell Arte to trade him to a certain team or the Angels will lose him to free agency and that trade partner won't have to give up much to get him. That destination will most likely have a sustainable winning formula already in place and also have the ability to extend him long term so it will be a very short list. 

He could also end up a last minute two month rental like Chapman did for the Cubs for a few prospects before hitting the open market.

2 hours ago, heRo said:

On the low end that might be true, but for higher WAR players the $$per WAR goes down.  Look at contracts that top players have signed recently, they get around 4MMper WAR per year.  You're suggesting Trout will get TWICE that.  Not gonna happen.

These are all older players, outside of their prime, and they are signing contracts that cover their decline phase. On the flip side you have guys like Stanton who had a whole bunch of arb years bought out and still got $300 mil. 

How much are we going to spend on Albert $/WAR? The closest comp in the recent market is Jason Heyward who got a huge deal with the Cubs, with 2 opt outs, and he wasn't even good enough to crack their starting lineup in the world series.

If you could guarantee Trout's production, on a one year deal, he could easily approach $80 million. And if by some chance you really believe that great players aren't as valuable as average ones that is beside my original point, which was to say that Trout's production has more than made up for the disappointments of Hamilton, Pujols and Wilson. Those contracts were not the problem.

6 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

6 years/$240 million. A cool $40 mill per season.

Locks him down for a good long time (ten seasons counting this year) without breaking the Angels' bank, and also gives Trout a chance to be a free agent again at age 35.

If you're going to lock down Trout then lock him down. Why stop at 35 yrs. Lock him down until he retires as an Angel and goes into the HOF as an Angel (greatest player since Babe Ruth).

I remember hearing some talk about making the the Angels the West coast Yankees when Arte bought the team. If that's true he should do what Steinbrenner would do and lock up Trout and sign Harper after next season. He would then be the reincarnation of George.

5 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If you're going to lock down Trout then lock him down. Why stop at 35 yrs. Lock him down until he retires as an Angel and goes into the HOF as an Angel (greatest player since Babe Ruth).

The ONLY question I have is if Trout really "cares" about getting a ring?

I put that in quotes because OF COURSE he wants to get a ring. He plays to frickin' win a ring. He wants to win, and he plays to do his best. But what I mean by that, is if Arte is willing to pay him what he wants, and it's less than what's offered by other teams but he's happy here, and is okay with the possibility of not getting a ring, is that cool with him?

I think it might be.

I have a gut feeling that Trout puts the money, with these other types of situations, on the backburner. That kind of drive reminds me of Weaver. If he's happy where he is, and wants to stay here, he has more money than he'll ever need, and he might take less money to stay. I don't see Trout as a Boris kind of dude.

I feel like if he's happy to be an Angel, he will stay. He always has the chance to win (just like 2002) and will forever be the face of the Angels, and if it were me, that'd be pretty cool too.

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I remember hearing some talk about making the the Angels the West coast Yankees when Arte bought the team. If that's true he should do what Steinbrenner would do and lock up Trout and sign Harper after next season. He would then be the reincarnation of George.

Yep and they can join Maldonado, the three Stooges and Manny, Moe and Jack who will be playing the other unaffordable positions. 

15 hours ago, CALZONE said:

It's not about money, it's about the big stage. I hope Trout gets a chance to see Jeter's uniform retirement tribute because that's what a postseason legend looks like. Jeets won five championships and played in 158 postseason games. Mike Trout deserves to have his name included in postseason discussions every season. He's that type of special player. Wouldn't it be nice to see Mike Trout playing in the fall classic.

He's got a tough decision to make and we shouldn't hate on him if it doesn't favor us. He definitely wants to win and the Angels need to show him that winning is the organizational priority pronto. 

Trout should sign for the minimum.  After all its not about money.  If it's about championship Trout would be allowing another 39 million per season to sign some players to help him win that championship.

Yes people I know this scenario is absurd.

13 hours ago, tomsred said:

If you go with signing extending Trout then you very well may be giving up on aggressively signing a significant number of other free agents.  You will have to build your team around Trout and a whole range of young players from a very strong farm system, which we have rarely had.  It's a serious dilemma.  How do you commit to the most expensive guy in baseball, and still have enough funds to provide enough quality around him to win championships on a regular basis?  And putting everything into one, or very few, baskets exposes the team to great risk if those assets get hurt.  There will have to be some creative contract construction on this one.  The team simply can't commit to Trout, and continue to make the same kind of other player selection decisions like they have made for the past ten years or so.  We better have a really strong front office. 

Those are very good points and our only hope is that Eppler continues to build on the solid foundation (farm, draft strategy, value/bargain depth, tread water til bad contracts lapse) that he has started and will flourish when the org segues from building to maintaining that essential infrastructure while adding talent in the critical, often expensive positions.  There is reason for hope because Eppler really hasn't let us down in any significant way, at least once we understood his general plan of action.

The luxury tax in 2021 will be 210m and the CBA expires at the end of that year, giving hope that the luxury tax may not be a restraining issue.  According to fangraphs the team recieved 118m in 2016 from the Fox contract alone and that amount should be ascending as the average of the deal is 150m per.  They have little debt and a pretty good stadium deal.  The main reason their revenues are down is because they really haven't been true contenders for a while.

We have reason to believe that Eppler will continue the very good drafting baseline he has set and that he supplement that with international signings that bring us dynamic potential.  The farm will improve and who knows to what extent. True, there's almost no room for bad contracts but he seems to be very, very cautious about that.  Is that caution going to handcuff him from building a complete team or will he be just aggressive enough once the Hamilton money comes off the books?  I concur that we better have a really strong front office and think we may actually have one in the making.  Now whether Trout will want to sign with a team like the Angels is another matter.

If the angels were smart, theyd find things like octoberfest (that happens late september/first week of october), and other events that only happen in early october. Take him there the next two three years and subliminally make him think how much more fun hes having than if he was stuck still playing baseball in october.

Thennnnnnnnnn you swoop in and offer him a huge contract. 

Pay jeter a million bucks just to off hand say to him "yeah, rhe rings are cool. But ehat man wears a ring anyway? To be honest i just have them in a drawer, with my birth certificate and stuff. But i really wish i could have been to octoberfest when i was your age....when you get older you realize how fun stuff like that is...."

I acknowlege, first off, that my days were wrong; Trout beats A-Rod by 139 days.  Trout's birthday is 8/7, ARod 7/27.  So, would you not take however many games actually involved between them (+11 days) on a baseball season?  Trout's looking like the runaway at this point and u stake him down if u can, I think!!

• 5 months later...
On 5/20/2017 at 10:22 AM, Fresh Catch Trout said:

Is there a way for a mod to maybe pin this thread; or start a thread and pin it that is a "Mike Trout Extension" discussion, that we can run until 2020. And we can discuss all things with a Mike Trout extension there? Please? I think it's worth it.

No, it isn't.

7 minutes ago, Fresh Catch Trout said:

Why aren't we trying to extend Trout; like now. They're pretty cavalier about it. 

Because it's completely unnecessary, like pinning a thread no one will use for three years.

On 5/14/2017 at 4:41 PM, Calzone said:

It's not about money, it's about the big stage. I hope Trout gets a chance to see Jeter's uniform retirement tribute because that's what a postseason legend looks like. Jeets won five championships and played in 158 postseason games. Mike Trout deserves to have his name included in postseason discussions every season. He's that type of special player. Wouldn't it be nice to see Mike Trout playing in the fall classic.

He's got a tough decision to make and we shouldn't hate on him if it doesn't favor us. He definitely wants to win and the Angels need to show him that winning is the organizational priority pronto. 

You can't do that if you are rebuilding the Angels Claude.