• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Fister....

22 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Going back 20-25 years, I can't ever remember a mid-season replacement on the backside of his career (Lincecum, Gregggggg Jeffries) giving the team a boost.  

There had to be at least one.

Board historians?

2002 - Sal Fasano and Alex Ochoa  = World Series title

No? How about Shane Victorino? 

I got nothing 

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ken Hill had a strong late 1997, but nothing pretty much after that.

I was excited when we got him,but for some reason, I remember him being very mediocre. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Grilli, Frieri and Street were all very good the seasons we brought them in. 

Frieri and Street were 26 and 30 respectively when we got them.  Not the "hoping for one last gasp" type player (Lincecome and Jeffries) that I was talking about.

Grilli was 37 and went 1-3 with a 3.48 era in 40 games with us in 2014.  That's the leader in the clubhouse so far.

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

I was excited when we got him,but for some reason, I remember him being very mediocre. 

He was another victim of the Terry Collins arm meat grinder.   Hill had a history of elbow issues -- specifically bone chips...   Angels traded for him, he did well..   Needed off-season surgery but they resigned him anyway.  Guy comes back and throws over 200 pitchers in his first two starts -- never making it out of the 5th in either one but pitching well.  Collins complains he needs to go deeper into games -- next two starts he gets spanked -- velocity is clearly down but Collins goes on record as him having to pitch through his dead arm period...   Hill gives up 15 runs in 7 innings over two starts -- 170 pitches in two April blowouts...   Hill hunkers down and throws 112 pitches in his next start...  velocity continues to dip...    His final start he throws 63 pitches in two innings -- can't find the zone -- clutches elbow...   Gone for two months...   Elbow went boom.

Terry Collins had a guy who was four months removed from elbow surgery throw almost 800 pitches in under 35 innings...    Jason Dickson had already been ground into dust -- so good old Terry needed a new guy to make a man out of...

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Hell no.

Last we saw of Fister was last year, when in September he put up these glorious numbers:

23 ip  30 er  43 hits  11 bb  6 hr  10 2b

.406 BAA   2.35 whip

.471/..670/1.141

If that's what we're looking for, we might as well give Trevor Bell a call. 

Dontrell Wilis? 

3 hours ago, m0nkey said:
We could be close to getting fisted

I don't have a problem with it, if the price is reasonable....all the criticism may be valid but the reality is it's May 9 and our rotation is shredded with Richards and Skaggs down...our options aren't exactly great....if we had a couple of minor league guys (beyond Meyer) ready to give a shot, I'd go in that direction....but we don't and all the bitching and moaning in the world world doesn't change that....at least try to plug the dam, we've got a long season to bitch about it...

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Nate Smith is back in action at AAA. I think I would rather see Meyer hold down the fort until Nate's ready for a shot than sign Fister.

I think this is a good move, over signing Fister. Although if you sign Fister to a minor league deal, I'm not against that. See what he's got. 

1 minute ago, Glen said:

Signing Fister would be like signing Lincecum last year, so I guess you could call this move the Fistercum.You're welcome. 

There is a reason both were/are available on May 9th....but Lincecum was coming off of a serous injury and hadn't been very good for 4 solid years....Fister, at least as far as we know, is healthy and has been pretty ordinary for just 2 years....so I think Fister is a better bet....kind of like picking your poison, I guess....And there is no guarantee Nate Smith or anybody else is going to give us any help from within....

I mean ultimately, Fister isn't likely to really move the needle very much even if he is league-average, which is likely a best case scenario. 

I'd much rather roll out someone who is likelier to struggle more because they're unproven but has a shot at being an asset for the team beyond '17. Fister will just go back to being a FA. No one expected Shoemaker to be as good as he's been in the bigs, no one saw Ramirez becoming a legit SP option. Run Wright/Banuelos/Smith etc out there and see what's up - if they're something they're worth a whole lot more than Fister would be.