• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Angels Find a Decrease in Hamstring Injuries

I was listening to the Baseball Tonight Podcast  on Thursday or Friday. Buster Olney and Stephania Bell were talking about how preventing hamstring injuries is the holy grail of sports medicine. The Angels set up a control group and a experiment group in the minor leagues.  The control group did everything as they normally would. The experiment group added a set of exercises intended to reduce hamstring injuries.  The verdict is in and the test group were able to reduce injuries by 25%.

Love that their all scientific about it and that they found something that's working.

10 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think the holy grail of sorts medicine, at least within the baseball community is how to prevent UCL tears, and so far, the Angels look like they are dead-last in that one.

For a few years, they were seemingly the best at preventing UCL tears. Prior to Skaggs, we had a nice run. There weren't many happening and they were limited to lower-level prospects or fringe pen arms.

10 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think the holy grail of sorts medicine, at least within the baseball community is how to prevent UCL tears, and so far, the Angels look like they are dead-last in that one.

Compare the previous ten years in Anaheim to that of MLB and the Angels were near the bottom...     I think what happened last year was a freak thing.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Compare the previous ten years in Anaheim to that of MLB and the Angels were near the bottom...     I think what happened last year was a freak thing.

I remember Darvish, Perez, Scheppers, and Harrison and Holland seemingly all at once a couple years back. Not all were TJS, but it happens.

Our biggest problem was that we had no depth at all, not any means in which we could use to acquire any.

16 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Now about that dehydration experiment...

3 hours ago, Dugout said:

They were measuring hydration 3 times a day, and making players sit down and drink water until their levels came up. More injuries happen when your dehydrated is now the belief I guess.

So I was right! It's all starting to make sense...

Hydration and the use of other over the counter supplements like Creatine monohydrate..... You must be overly hydrated for Creatine otherwise you risk your tendons becoming brittle....And then rupturing. I know there are websites that state that this is incorrect. I'm just speaking from my experience.

I'm just wondering, as a long term user with breaks in between and then I quit using for a couple years but continued to workout and use free weights and machines. Only to have become overly dehydrated and paying less attention to proper hydration and then blowing out my Achilles tendon and have had other issues in my elbows (not tearing) just extreme tightness and strains.

Doc or someone with a little more body building knowledge? Thoughts?

Seems there have become more Achilles tendon injuries in other Sports and UCL's in MLB.... Just wondering? Haven't really heard about Rotator Cuff injuries or UCL's in QB's? Blown out Labrums maybe but those could be added from hyper extending the arm under the padding and pushing downward when a 300lb'er lands on you.

8 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Hydration and the use of other over the counter supplements like Creatine monohydrate..... You must be overly hydrated for Creatine otherwise you risk your tendons becoming brittle....And then rupturing. I know there are websites that state that this is incorrect. I'm just speaking from my experience.

I'm just wondering, as a long term user with breaks in between and then I quit using for a couple years but continued to workout and use free weights and machines. Only to have become overly dehydrated and paying less attention to proper hydration and then blowing out my Achilles tendon and have had other issues in my elbows (not tearing) just extreme tightness and strains.

Seems there have become more Achilles tendon injuries in other Sports and UCL's in MLB.... Just wondering? Haven't really heard about Rotator Cuff injuries or UCL's in QB's? Blown out Labrums maybe but those could be added from hyper extending the arm under the padding and pushing downward when a 300lb'er lands on you.

I think its just general health. Also keep in mind, and this is with all supps (and how you could spot who was on the gear during the big roid days) is that you can inflate your muscles. You can make them a lot bigger, bigger than your body was designed. But you cant make your ligaments bigger....this is why youbsaw so many freak injuries in the late 90s to mid 2000s....guys swinging a bat and ripping something. 

If youre lifting heavy in general you should be drinking a ton of water, creatine or not.

18 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

less body building and more stretching or flexibility exercises needed.

On 5/1/2017 at 9:01 PM, Scioscia4MVP said:

Just start having the team train with the Ducks & Kings and they'll stop ending up on the DL so often.

I mean if you had a MLBer  play a shift in the NHL & he got checked, he'd be on the DL for 3 months.

Of course Albert would have to play on the first line and score a bunch of meaningless goals. :P