• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Behind the scenes from Dipoto era

For me, it wasn't Dipoto's clear lack of scouting ability as much as it was his very flawed draft philosophy. 

We drafted predominantly collegiate pitchers for three straight years. And do you know what it got us? A whole butt-load of 4.50 ERA pitchers in AA. 

Dipoto avoided upside prep bats because there was too much risk and they took too long to develop. He also never drafted out of his very own backyard in So-Cal.

Dipoto's draft strategy, inability to establish and international presence and spending spree crippled this organization. Eppler has been working for two years trying to strengthen the farm system and get our payroll back under control. It'll probably take another three years before we have a functioning farm and ability to spend like a big market team again. 

5 years to undo what Dipoto did in three and a half.

11 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just about EVERY swinging d*ck on here adored dipo, almost to the end. For no other reason than he was departure from reagins, and ill even throw mickey hatcher in there. 

We all wanted to finally catch up to the smart phone generation with what seemed like every other team.

So many on here (myself to a good degree included) came to despise sosh and blame him for everything over the last several years post 2009. Im not trying to say sosh isnt ready for replacement, but in his defense, the front office hasnt really given him a great product for the last 6 or 7 years. Yes, we had some really good players come here, and trout was a gift from the gods. But what team have we fielded after 09 that didnt have major flaws? Our bread and butter in the glory years was pitching and a bullpen that other teams envy. Its been YEARS since weve had that. The pen has been dogsh*t for years, save for the last half of 14. (Then we blew it up that offseason). Not only ddint we never really replace lackey when he left (you can say weaver but who replaced him?), we havent even replaced weaver, and nothing in house will...

Dipoto seemed like a really dmart guy, and a lot of shrewd moves reinforced that. And in the front offices defense, weve been snakebit with injuries. That being said, looking back...what were the great moves? Skaggs and santiago is the most popular...but trumbo may have been better long term in LF than say a FA that could have filled for santiago (obviously this is only an argument because skaggs got hurt). Trop for conger? Great one...but maybe houston knew something? Iannetta for chatwood was great because we got rid of mathis, but...

After those, are there really any others where he pulled off a miracle?

I think dipo is a smart guy...i just think he thought he was smarter than he really was. 

Agreed. Unfortunately, even at the time I thought Dipoto was clueless when it came to the pen, and maybe to pitching overall. The sad thing is, he went out on just about ever sabermetric limb that had already been shown to be questionable, i.e. Blanton, fungible bullpens, injury risks, the unimportance of team speed and defensive versatility - others Im sure.

11 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As funny as it sounds, that hit me a few months ago. With looking back at the last 5 years or so, compared to reagins (who was bad), its a very valid argument.

Again, its hard to say for sure because of injuries. But i think its a good debate about who left the team in worse shape. The farm didnt get any better...and dipo had a bigger checkbook and trout.

Take trout away from the dipo era and give him to reagins...

Dipoto got a pass for quite awhile because we all assumed that the minor league system just about HAD to be getting better. We looked up when he left and realized that somehow it got worse. That is unforgivable, and the #1 reason why his time her was destructive.

Servais to me almost seems like another Lefty Phillips, due to coming into managing from a scouting position with limited coaching experience.

The oldtimers saw what happened to Phillips by his 3rd season as Halos manager in 1971, having lost control of the team as it vastly underachieved (10 fewer wins in 1971).  

I don't think Lefty Phillips is the best comp. Servais was a legitimate MLB player for 11 years, and a starting catcher for a few of them. Couple really solid seasons as well. It's not like he was a minor league flame out who jumped from scouting to managing. 

I get the vibe that he's a brutally stubborn asshole though. Doesn't seem like the type that'll rally his team or improve chemistry when things go south.

I think this year's gonna get really ugly for Seattle. Texas as well.