• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday: 4/23 Blue Jays@Angels

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Daniel Wright's nice start was ruined by the bullpen.

I have to disagree with this. Wright only going 5 innings led to Pounders being in the game. 5 innings doesn't get it.

These 5 inning starts have to end if the Angels are to start winning, of course it wouldn't hurt if the offense put some runs on the board.

Just another lack luster Angel loss.

See ya tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

On pace to win 65 games.

You personally love that.  It gives you fuel to come on here daily and talk about how bad it is and to make your good will jokes.  I just think it's funny because you hate the other way of building a team, so it's hypocritical, but whatever, enjoy reveling in losses, you are good at it.  

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You personally love that.  It gives you fuel to come on here daily and talk about how bad it is and to make your good will jokes.  I just think it's funny because you hate the other way of building a team, so it's hypocritical, but whatever, enjoy reveling in losses, you are good at it.  

Well Strad this is not a good team. It's because of the "win now" mentality. Arte sure learned his lesson about overpaying free agents. We have the best player in the game and something-something about the best player of somebody else's generation and we are not even competitive at this point. Arte has to consider blowing this thing up at some point in the near future. 

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Sounds just like you and Escobar lol

38 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

On pace to win 65 games.

Would that really be a bad thing?   Say they win 65 games - that puts them in the conversation for first pick in the draft which let's be honest can only help this team -- it further means they could comfortably sell off pretty much anyone showing signs of life at the deadline and not catch heat from fans...   They could possibly purge a salary or two, decide on the guys they want to keep around and start planning for 2018 in July.   There are positives in every situation.

If they are still tanking two months from now, then it's time to start talking about making lemonade -- constantly yapping about the lemons does no good.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Would that really be a bad thing?   Say they win 65 games - that puts them in the conversation for first pick in the draft which let's be honest can only help this team -- it further means they could comfortably sell off pretty much anyone showing signs of life at the deadline and not catch heat from fans...   They could possibly purge a salary or two, decide on the guys they want to keep around and start planning for 2018 in July.   There are positives in every situation.

If they are still tanking two months from now, then it's time to start talking about making lemonade -- constantly yapping about the lemons does no good.

Yep. a 65 win season would be much better than a .500 season imo

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Well Strad this is not a good team. It's because of the "win now" mentality. Arte sure learned his lesson about overpaying free agents. We have the best player in the game and something-something about the best player of somebody else's generation and we are not even competitive at this point. Arte has to consider blowing this thing up at some point in the near future. 

The win now philosophy ended two years ago. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

That begs the question, how many more years to get it right and produce a competitive team? We've been 'building' this team since 2010.

2014 and its 98 wins seems like a fluke.

When you look over what we've got now, and the fact that we're ranked 30th in farm systems, I'm thinking we've got another 3-5 years to go in the 'building' process.

Edited by fan_since79

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

What's your guesstimate on the time? I'm thinking anywhere from three to seven years to get a really good team that can go far into the postseason.

It's time to build the farm without actually rebuilding or investing in international players is what stradling means.

So probably 5-7 years until the farm system is actually competent.

Honestly I have no idea.  But to pretend they haven't changed course even if the result isn't favorable is just wrong.  Now if you want to say they should trade away everything not named Trout to get there quicker, that's an idea, but it may force their hand with Trout, and none of us like that idea. 

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's time to build the farm without actually rebuilding or investing in international players is what stradling means.

So probably 5-7 years until the farm system is actually competent.

We haven't had the opportunity to sign international players but you know that.  Eppler said that once the ban is lifted they will spend up to their limit without going over and being penalized. 

I'm not in favor of trading everyone-not-named-Trout, in other words, blowing up the team.

What I would like is to have the people in charge draft/trade/sign pitchers whose arms don't fall off. I'm tired of the major arm/shoulder injuries that have plagued this team in the past few years. It's just absurd.

Edited by fan_since79

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Eppler said that once the ban is lifted they will spend up to their limit without going over and being penalized. 

so not investing in international players then. Eppler will do the same thing Dipoto did. The bare minimum.

The dodgers have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in international talent the last 4-6 years. The Angels have invested around 10 million.

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

so not investing in international players then. Eppler will do the same thing Dipoto did. The bare minimum.

The dodgers have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in international players the last 4-6 years. The Angels have invested around 10.

FTR, JD left money on the table and traded away signing bonus slots....  So no, not the same and the Dodgers spending situation was in large part due to new ownership and MLB's financial practices.  The new Dodgers regime will be able to depreciate much of what it spent -- it's a HUGE plus that most new regimes take advantage of -- Arte did this.   Moving forward it doesn't look like the Dodgers will be spending as freely -- the international signing rules have also been changed where basically they cannot if they wanted to 

The Angels have spent the max allotted dollars in the international market under Eppler -- they were just locked into a hard cap on how much they could spend on any one player --  LA will be forced to play by those same rules for a couple years starting this July.

20 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Bullshit.  Just because Dipoto did nothing doesn't mean Eppler will do nothing.  That's your failo beliefs.

26 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm not in favor of trading everyone-not-named-Trout, in other words, blowing up the team.

What I would like is to have the people in charge draft/trade/sign pitchers whose arms don't fall off. I'm tired of the major arm/shoulder injuries that have plagued this team in the past few years. It's just absurd.

Ok so who drafted in the last couple of years has had their arm fall off?  Building a farm takes time, still. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Bullshit.  Just because Dipoto did nothing doesn't mean Eppler will do nothing.  That's your failo beliefs.

You seem to believe Dipoto made the decision not to invest on international players even though Arte Moreno has disregarded international talent for almost 10 years.

Regardless how the Angels have performed to this point, they have better ability among the position players.  The pitching will make or break the season, largely due to injuries.   Look at any major league team with the equivalent of Richards, Heaney, and Tropeano unavailable for possibly the whole season and there would be a problem. 

I am not oblivious to the Angels being in the crosshairs between being World Series caliber and winning a WS for Trout, but what can anybody do about it?  I think Eppler is doing a yeoman's job acquiring talent and trying to get talent other organizations have given up on.  He's also hiring people who are trying to figure out how to avoid Tommy John surgeries.   I really don't know what more we can do with the cards we have now.

What I sense is that this group here consists of a lot of Angel lifers and we'll eventually figure something out. 

Look at the bobble heads I posted from the antique store and I don't think people will wonder why we aren't as good than in earlier years.   We need to develop a better team.

20170422_132459.jpg