• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

I wonder if Cowart will be considered for 2B?

Chuck

He played second base tonight with Salt Lake and is slashing .349/.425/.508 on the young season. He also has 7 stolen bases, which is more than Espinosa, Trout, Revere and Maybin combined. 

Like Espinosa, Cowart is very athletic and has great range and a strong throwing arm. 

I wonder if the strikeouts are starting to concern Sosh and the org, because 28 K's in 19 games is a bit ridiculous. That's 3rd worst in the league and he only has 3 walks. 

Let's not forget, Espinosa has also provided some clutch hits, is driving in runs and playing some pretty solid defense. He's also in a contract year, and if the Angels aren't in it, he could make for a valuable trade chip.

The Angels have every reason to stick with Espinosa until July at the earliest, probably the whole year.

With Espinosa, Escobar, Pennington, Maybin and Revere all headed for free agency, Cowart is going to get his shot in September and in Spring Training. Given his defense at 3B, I find it likely that Eppler will be inclined to at the very least, open next year with Cowart as the starter at 3B.

You might see Johnson at 2B and Fletcher at utility, spelling both of them as well. Though it sounds weird because Kaleb has been around so long, patience. His opportunity is coming.

10 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Let's not forget, Espinosa has also provided some clutch hits, is driving in runs and playing some pretty solid defense. He's also in a contract year, and if the Angels aren't in it, he could make for a valuable trade chip.

The Angels have every reason to stick with Espinosa until July at the earliest, probably the whole year.

With Espinosa, Escobar, Pennington, Maybin and Revere all headed for free agency, Cowart is going to get his shot in September and in Spring Training. Given his defense at 3B, I find it likely that Eppler will be inclined to at the very least, open next year with Cowart as the starter at 3B.

You might see Johnson at 2B and Fletcher at utility, spelling both of them as well. Though it sounds weird because Kaleb has been around so long, patience. His opportunity is coming.

To be fair, Johnny G had some clutch hits as well. Though his defense was sub par at best.

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

In my perfect world scenario I would release Pennington and bring up Cowart who can play all of his positions and more.

Cowart is still sporting a +.400 OBP in WAS and leads all of AAA In stolen bases with 8.

I want him to succeed so bad because I think 1 ) He's a good guy and 2 ) He has the defensive tools to play around the diamond. However I think his BABIP is a potential issue right now and if the Angels were smart they'd consider selling high and either trade for a 3B or sign Moustakas in the offseason. Really would love him to turn that corner though he has teased us the last two seasons with the possibilities.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:38 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder if the strikeouts are starting to concern Sosh and the org, because 28 K's in 19 games is a bit ridiculous. That's 3rd worst in the league and he only has 3 walks. 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t561&player_id=592230#/career/R/hitting/2017/ALL

Cowart's slash line on 4/24 was .333/.410/.472/.882. He only has 17 K's on 18 games, and he has 10 walks, 2 HRs, 8 SB, 9 RBI. The problem with Cowart is every time he gets a chance in the Big leagues he chokes or swings at everything and refuses to rake a walk.

I would rather he play 3B and we trade Escobar for pitching.   

44 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t561&player_id=592230#/career/R/hitting/2017/ALL

Cowart's slash line on 4/24 was .333/.410/.472/.882. He only has 17 K's on 18 games, and he has 10 walks, 2 HRs, 8 SB, 9 RBI. The problem with Cowart is every time he gets a chance in the Big leagues he chokes or swings at everything and refuses to rake a walk.

I would rather he play 3B and we trade Escobar for pitching.   

The 28 strike outs is Espinosa.

At the plate, Cowart reminds me a bit of Joey Gallo (with less power). We've seen Gallo come alive with a longer leash, some confidence and everyday AB's for the Rangers. I feel the same could happen with Cowart, though I admit, his ceiling might only be as a .250 hitter in the majors.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

At the plate, Cowart reminds me a bit of Joey Gallo (with less power). We've seen Gallo come alive with a longer leash, some confidence and everyday AB's for the Rangers. I feel the same could happen with Cowart, though I admit, his ceiling might only be as a .250 hitter in the majors.

I would be thrilled with .250 BA, so long as his OBP wasn't .258. 

The zero walks in 87 plate appearances last year was no bueno. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I don't think that .250 is achieved unless a team is willing to slot him at 3B and leave him there, willing to take their lumps. Because with his defense, you gladly take .250 and 10 HR with 15 SB. 

I think it's a question of whether the Angels are that team. Furthermore, if in a couple years, he doesn't crack a roster, willhe move to the mound again?

Espinosa's strikeouts were a pre-existing condition. So were his power numbers.

Cowart can't hit whatever it is that the top-level pitchers throw to him. Let's just say he "can't hit the curve." That's an all-encompassing explanation that has followed thousands of minor leaguers before Cowart and will follow thousands after him.

Jeff Mathis hit well in the PCL.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

I agree it was troubling but it was 87 plate appearances..    Guys like Cowart have to play and play everyday.  If the Angels ever give him a chance, then it has to be a legit chance -- not one start every three days if it's a left handed, fly ball pitcher, who parts his hair on the left..  etc etc...

Cowart has had as much of a chance as Cam did when everyone was shitting on him.   His biggest obstacle right now IMO is that the team isn't in the position to give him the job and let him get his struggles out..  They may end up missing on him because they wouldn't commit to letting him get past his failures...  

If this team is still tanking in July and he's still anywhere near .300/.375/450 in AAA, they better hand him a starting job and let him figure it out.

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I agree it was troubling but it was 87 plate appearances..    Guys like Cowart have to play and play everyday.  If the Angels ever give him a chance, then it has to be a legit chance -- not one start every three days if it's a left handed, fly ball pitcher, who parts his hair on the left..  etc etc...

Cowart has had as much of a chance as Cam did when everyone was shitting on him.   His biggest obstacle right now IMO is that the team isn't in the position to give him the job and let him get his struggles out..  They may end up missing on him because they wouldn't commit to letting him get past his failures...  

If this team is still tanking in July and he's still anywhere near .300/.375/450 in AAA, they better hand him a starting job and let him figure it out.

It wasn't just the end result or zero walks though - he just didn't show any semblance of patience or pitch recognition at all. 

I agree that it isn't the fairest of shakes, but you gotta show something in 87 plate appearances. He didn't do a whole lot the season prior (and yes, that is giving him credit for when he had his nice little run with everyday time) and he didn't quite impress defensively when he was playing 2B either, so he didn't really show that he could even be an all-glove, no-bat UT IF option. 

I whole-heartedly agree that if the Halos are out of it by July, Escobar should (and will) be dealt - honestly, I'd explore dealing one of Cron/Marte/Valbuena still after that - and Cowart should get an extended look at 3B. 

I'm not giving up on this team, but I still think Eppler specifically built a team that would be easy to deconstruct and start fresh next year, and I do think Cowart is part of that plan should it come to fruition.

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Valbuena will be tough to trade with another year on his contract. You can add Maybin and Revere to the trade deadline. 

I imagine Cron is the likeliest, and Valbuena the least likeliest. Marte seems like one to hold onto, but conversely, he's also going to draw the most interest (at this point) and therefore may bring back the best return - at that point, you have to wonder if it's worth it and hope that Cron/Valbuena/Cowart/whomever makes up the difference from dealing Marte. If they're intending on going heavy after Moustakas...then dealing Marte isn't that far-fetched. 

Maybin, Revere, Espinosa, Pennington, Nolasco, Street, Escobar, Bailey, Chavez, Norris, Petit...really any of them should we be floundering come July. I really think Eppler built this club in this manner. These are all guys who are rental vets, some of whom have one truly above-average aspect to their game, who will be attractive as role players or stopgaps for competitive teams, who can be dealt without harming our future. And he built a considerable stock of AAA depth consisting of lotto-ticket/reclamation projects that could impress enough post-deadline to way their 2018 plans and affect where they spend their money. 

Depending on how the depth is performing, and the quality of the players we're selling or receiving, it wouldn't surprise me if they float a bigger component like Shoemaker, Skaggs, Richards, Bedrosian out there too.They'll have significant dollars to play with going into next offseason and a much deeper class.