• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What's up with Calhoun?

Chuck

Calhoun is still squaring up baseballs(92.3 mph average exit velocity) and his walk rate is right in line with what he did last year so he has that going for him. Strikeouts are up and his BABIP is down so some interesting things to monitor. I think he'll be fine. As IP pointed out, Calhoun is a bit streakier than your average player. I'd bet he has a hot stretch coming up. Calhoun doesn't worry me too much. 

32 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Obviously from your response you don't understand it at all so let me dummy it down.

Joe DiMaggio, HOF center field, playing one of the greatest streaks in any sport cannot be compared with journeyman right fielder Kole Calhoun regardless of slow starts.

Calhoun passed DiMaggio's career strikeout totals over 2 years ago after only about 300 games played. They are not comparable players in any way.

Simple enough?

I'm sorry for my ignorance. I thought Fansince79's post was meant to say that everyone goes through slumps and you can't know when they will snap out of it. That players good and bad go through stretches and then return to their career norms. I didn't get that he was saying Calhoun was as good as Joltin' Joe and/or go on a 56 game but steak this year. 

Your post did prove FS79 wrong to me. You're correct, Calhoun isn't as good as Joe DiMaggio. Thanks for clarifying.

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

How about scale it down from HOF to simply Tim Salmon that always seemed to start off slow.

I think I'll stay with the HOF for a while.

Reggie Jackson in 1983, an 0-for-35 stretch from August 20th to September 25th, and season total of 77-397, for a .194 BA

Edited by fan_since79

6 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Can we stop it. It's a slump in a long season in a long career. It happens to everyone. 

When the slump will end is anyone's guess. He could be 4-5 tomorrow and 2-3 the day after that. Don't move him because of a bad week or we could miss the great week that follows it. Playing the best lineup or the best order from yesterday doesn't help you win tomorrow.

No one is saying trade him or DFA him. It's not blasphemy to drop him down to 5, 6, or 7 in the lineup for a few games (or give him a game off) to get the flow going again. Simmons up to the 2 hole would be a solid move imo. At least for a few games. Just cus he gets moved down in the order doesn't mean he can't have success in the new spot in the order lol. So the "we could miss the great week" comment is kinda meh to me.

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

I hate to break this to you but I just looked at the stats. Did you know Mike Your already has more than twice as many strike outs as Joe DiMaggio had in his whole career? Mike Trout can never be as good as Joe DiMaggio.

(Puts all Trout gear in a pile, adds lighter fluid, drops struck match)

22 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I'm sorry for my ignorance. I thought Fansince79's post was meant to say that everyone goes through slumps and you can't know when they will snap out of it. That players good and bad go through stretches and then return to their career norms. I didn't get that he was saying Calhoun was as good as Joltin' Joe and/or go on a 56 game but steak this year. 

Your post did prove FS79 wrong to me. You're correct, Calhoun isn't as good as Joe DiMaggio. Thanks for clarifying.

Thank you for grasping the simple and limited intention of my post.

29 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

No one is saying trade him or DFA him. It's not blasphemy to drop him down to 5, 6, or 7 in the lineup for a few games (or give him a game off) to get the flow going again. Simmons up to the 2 hole would be a solid move imo. At least for a few games. Just cus he gets moved down in the order doesn't mean he can't have success in the new spot in the order lol. So the "we could miss the great week" comment is kinda meh to me.

I have no problem giving him an off day if he's fatigued mentally or physically. I just don't understand the argument for moving him down in the lineup. 

If the argument is that he's costing the Angels runs because his lack of production at the top then "the Angels might miss his hot week" is an equally compelling argument.

If the argument is that it will relieve pressure on him to move down in the lineup then wouldn't it add more pressure on Simmons to move him up? Why ruin Simmons hitting?

Also couldn't moving KC down in the lineup shake his confidence? I'm not saying it's likely. I don't believe any of the mental aspects are playing a role and this whole thing is just a random small sample that happens over a season. But if you believe it is mental then the move down carries some risk.

tumblr_m2x7pvG0gt1rqp7k2o1_1280.jpg

"Leave Calhoun alone! Don't you know that everyone goes through slumps, even me? I was 0-for-20 in late July of '27 before going on a tear, batting .430 in my next 24 games. This Calhoun is a good kid, a player after my own heart. Scrappy, aggressive, and loves the game. Let him have his little slump, he'll snap out of it soon enough."

Edited by fan_since79

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

I think I'll stay with the HOF for a while.

Reggie Jackson in 1983, an 0-for-35 stretch from August 20th to September 25th, and season total of 77-397, for a .194 BA

After socking a club record at the time 39 HRs and finishing high up in the MVP balloting the year before, WTF caused such a big drop?

I saw Reggie come off the bench with the flu and hit a three-run blast to deep center field that helped the Angels win a game in June of 1983. Doug DeCinces had broken up a no-hitter by Luis Leal of the Blue Jays an inning before.

It's the only home run I ever saw him hit in person.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL198306100.shtml

Edited by fan_since79

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

How about scale it down from HOF to simply Tim Salmon that always seemed to start off slow.

Its like when guys get pissed that pitchers get hurt all the time and say things like, "Why can't they keep pitching, Nolan Ryan did".  In other words it's ignorant.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Its like when guys get pissed that pitchers get hurt all the time and say things like, "Why can't they keep pitching, Nolan Ryan did".  In other words it's ignorant.  

I'm not sure what your point is, but my original post simply stated that everyone goes through slumps, even great players.

Blarg jumped all over it and made it that I was comparing Calhoun's talent to DiMaggio's. I was intending no such thing.

12 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm not sure what your point is, but my original post simply stated that everyone goes through slumps, even great players.

Blarg jumped all over it and made it that I was comparing Calhoun's talent to DiMaggio's. I was intending no such thing.

I wasn't referring to you at all.  Its all good.

35 minutes ago, disarcina said:

what's wrong with Calhoun?

Contract extensionitis........happens when player signed to long term deal.........side effects: reduced production.

Yeah it's the 1st contract extension year spending spree hangover!

• 3 weeks later...