• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Big Catorce's Last season?

nando714

Because the MAD GENIUS continued to start Jeff Mathis over Mike Napoli - that was it for me....and his stupid squeeze play at Boston...and how he drove Lackey outta here by his GENIUS bullpen moves.

How many rings does Lackey have? Napoli has been to how many World Series?

Show Scioscia's ass the door....

3 minutes ago, JoJo26 said:

Because the MAD GENIUS continued to start Jeff Mathis over Mike Napoli - that was it for me....and his stupid squeeze play at Boston...and how he drove Lackey outta here by his GENIUS bullpen moves.

206406-Header.jpg

4 minutes ago, JoJo26 said:

Ok so fire him for 6-8 years ago.  That makes sense.  

MS is a solid manager.  Since Eppler came on, he's been willing to adapt to certain advances.  I see nothing of his ability on the field that would warrant him being let go.  

It's hard to imagine that you could only now hold him responsible for his earlier influence that occurred 6-7 years ago.  Like getting Reagins to move Napoli or basically having him function as a puppet.  

So, if you let him go it's because of his internal influence and the need to go in a different direction.  Not because the team performed poorly this year due to a lack of talent.  

52 minutes ago, Blarg said:

At this point it is how the team sticks together through this knowing they are playing with a faulty roster, primarily in the pitching department. Scioscia's job the last couple years is been more psychiatrist than tactician. You don't hear of many clubhouse flare ups (as long as the GM understands his office is upstairs) or players screaming they want a trade.

He has been delt some pretty lousy teams on paper the last 4 seasons so what is there to evaluate at this point? There is not much you can say when all of his starters have given up 5 runs or more in the opening innings. There is nothing there to manage, no give the pitcher the don't suck sign from the dugout. No advanced metrics that say you can keep groving pitches over the heart of the plate when your catcher is set up outside and that is on the manager. 

Scioscia is going to play out his contract and may just move on right when the roster is in Eppler's fourth year of reconstruction. That team will probably be more complete than any we have seen for a decade and it will be managed by someone else of Eppler's choosing. 

And if that team loses you will demand that manager to be fired. 

I agree with everything you wrote. Nice post.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

MS is a solid manager.  Since Eppler came on, he's been willing to adapt to certain advances.  I see nothing of his ability on the field that would warrant him being let go.  

It's hard to imagine that you could only now hold him responsible for his earlier influence that occurred 6-7 years ago.  Like getting Reagins to move Napoli or basically having him function as a puppet.  

So, if you let him go it's because of his internal influence and the need to go in a different direction.  Not because the team performed poorly this year due to a lack of talent.  

while it was no secret sosh didn't like napoli (i had even mentioned how i used to know butcher's wife's best friend and she talked about this like it was casual common knowledge),  the general consensus from talking to various sources is that this move was more arte jumping in and demanding wells at any cost. it just happened to coincide with napoli being part of that trade.

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok so fire him for 6-8 years ago.  That makes sense.  

Like I've said here a million times, on any other comparable team payroll wise, Scioscia would have been fired 4-7 years ago.  Even if the team is so bad the manager doesn't matter, he has a track record in this decade of when the team actually gets competitive, his managing helps cost us games (2012, 2014 playoffs with Hamilton hitting cleanup, 2015), so we should fire him so that when we have a well rounded team he don't have a complacent lousy manager.

i've already said scioscia's going to get extended, and i'm not joking.

some of you are just going to have to accept it. arte likes him. trout likes him. pujols loves him, and probably eppler is just fine with him.

i'm sure scioscia ranks somewhere on the angel's imperfections, but so does arte and so does pujols. the real blight that is killing this team is none of those things, it's the goddamm pitching of which this team has virtually none. 

i have 100 times more of a beef with arte, than i do with scioscia. i just don't know why arte won't go over the cap and get some FA pitching up in this bitch. it's just wasting trout's golden years. personally, i see it as stepping over dollars to pick up pennies. 

17 hours ago, Stradling said:

If he wasn't fired in 2012 with that roster and missing the playoffs, he's not getting fired missing the playoffs with this team.  

I know I'm considered a Scioscia apologist,  but I'm curious, what manager could win with the pitching the Angels have had the last three years?  

What manager wins with this rotation this year?  

What manager makes Richards and Skaggs healthy?  

Place the blame where it belongs, Arte and Dipoto.  Scioscia didn't sign Albert or Hamilton. Scioscia didn't create one of the worst farm systems.  Scioscia didn't overuse Weaver or Wilson that caused them to age prematurely, they just got old early which made them ineffective.  

Theyve lost five games this year.  How many can you point to a moment in the game where Scioscia blew it?  

If he had talent the last few years I would agree with you.  That simply hasn't been the case.  

this pretty much nails it. people get mad at things that sosh can't control and want him fired because of it. not much he can do about these kinds of things.

4 hours ago, FabulousFabregas said:

Like I've said here a million times, on any other comparable team payroll wise, Scioscia would have been fired 4-7 years ago.  Even if the team is so bad the manager doesn't matter, he has a track record in this decade of when the team actually gets competitive, his managing helps cost us games (2012, 2014 playoffs with Hamilton hitting cleanup, 2015), so we should fire him so that when we have a well rounded team he don't have a complacent lousy manager.

So is this where I tell you that Hamilton batted 7th in the playoffs or should I let you continue to misremember so you can feel justified in your hatred of Scioscia?  I would like to see the long list of managers that were fired with 4-9 years left on their contract.  He didn't cost the Angels games in 2014, he managed the team to 98 wins, and that is with the last 4-5 weeks of the season having a bullpen game every 5th day due to injury.  The playoffs were about Trout and Albert doing absolutely nothing at the plate.  In 2015 the team had below average hitting and below average pitching and still they managed to win 85 games.  That team had horrid starting pitching and an even worse bullpen.  

1 hour ago, Tank said:

this pretty much nails it. people get mad at things that sosh can't control and want him fired because of it. not much he can do about these kinds of things.

Yep, ask any manager if they would like more or less talent, I am pretty sure every single one of them will say more.  Well he has far less than they once had.  Remember when people here thought Mike had to be behind Taylor Ward being drafted because everyone hated the pick and so he must have been behind it?  That was fun.  They even showed the war room all excited about him being available and all of Dipoto's guys (who hated Scioscia) were going nuts.  But yea it was Scioscia fault.  

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yep, ask any manager if they would like more or less talent, I am pretty sure every single one of them will say more.  Well he has far less than they once had.  Remember when people here thought Mike had to be behind Taylor Ward being drafted because everyone hated the pick and so he must have been behind it?  That was fun.  They even showed the war room all excited about him being available and all of Dipoto's guys (who hated Scioscia) were going nuts.  But yea it was Scioscia fault.  

Good point, strad. I have beefs with sosh, but i always kind of felt like he became unjustly hated on here when dipo came aboard. We all wanted an advanced stats guy to counter sosh. Once we got one we all thought sosh was an idiot...turns out dipo was overrated as all hell. We just thouvht he was good because he was different.

I know eppler is a lot more liked by the clubhouse...

19 hours ago, ukyah said:

i've already said scioscia's going to get extended, and i'm not joking.

some of you are just going to have to accept it. arte likes him. trout likes him. pujols loves him, and probably eppler is just fine with him.

i'm sure scioscia ranks somewhere on the angel's imperfections, but so does arte and so does pujols. the real blight that is killing this team is none of those things, it's the goddamm pitching of which this team has virtually none. 

i have 100 times more of a beef with arte, than i do with scioscia. i just don't know why arte won't go over the cap and get some FA pitching up in this bitch. it's just wasting trout's golden years. personally, i see it as stepping over dollars to pick up pennies. 

+1

Arte's interference in those three off-seasons (Pop-Up Wells, Pujols, and Hackilton, plus ignoring the farm) is a solid part of why the Halos ended up where they did these past 2+ seasons.

The current Arte is fine.   Now he needs to let Eppler pursue a FA starting pitcher plus Moustakas in the off-season, with lots of AAV salary coming off of the books (anywhere from $45 million to $65 million).

On 4/15/2017 at 2:04 AM, nando714 said:

I mean when is enough actually enough? 

We are battling Seattle for the basement 

How on earth does the fat man survive ANOTHER season? When does Arte just open the checkbook and buy out the guy ??

"Battling Seattle for the basement?"  How's is that possible when we are currently in 3nd place and at the time written we were  half out of first place?