• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia - possible HOF inductee down the road?

I know there has been a lot of back and forth on what Sosh has meant for this org.   Heck, I've thrown out my fair share of critiques over the past several years. 

Two stats by the close of 2018 will stand out though, as promoting possible HOF induction down the road.

By then, he will be top 5 all time in managerial wins with one team, the others (Mack, McGraw, Alston, and Cox) are all in the HOF.   By then, he likely will have a better W/L % and for sure will have more wins than another HOF manager, Tommy Lasorda.   Currently, Sosh's winning % is at .541.   Lasorda's winning % was .526.  

No doubt. Scioscia was like the best manager at one point during the game even though that was years ago. Liked the way he wanted the players to play NL style baseball with bunting and moving runners over. And doing things like stealing bases because they did not have a big time power threat outside of Vlad. These days, it looks like he has abandon that philosophy. Last season was tough but in his defense, any manager would have had a tough time winning games with their pitcher staff last year. 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I know there has been a lot of back and forth on what Sosh has meant for this org.   Heck, I've thrown out my fair share of critiques over the past several years. 

Two stats by the close of 2018 will stand out though, as promoting possible HOF induction down the road.

By then, he will be top 5 all time in managerial wins with one team, the others (Mack, McGraw, Alston, and Cox) are all in the HOF.   By then, he likely will have a better W/L % and for sure will have more wins than another HOF manager, Tommy Lasorda.   Currently, Sosh's winning % is at .541.   Lasorda's winning % was .526.  

Add WS  title as manager and player into the resume along with five division titles.   If he keeps managing he will be in the HOF despite what his detractor something say.

Out of the top 25 managers in career wins:  only six. are not in the hall.  I am surprised to see Dusty Baker so high on the list:  Bruce Bechy Ralph Houk, Dusty Baker, Jim Leyland, Lou Pinella And Gene Mauch.  Scioscia could be in the top 25 by the end of this season.   Bochy is still active and will be inducted, and Leyland I guess hasn't been retired long enough. 

I am curious how Scioscia would be top 5 in wins.  Is that a misprint?

This author suggest Scioscia is close but has more to go

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baseballamerica.com/majors/baseballist-top-10-accomplished-active-managers/%3Famphtml%3D1

So Bochy and Francona are pretty much locks.  Which means that there is one manager with 2 WS wins who is not in the HOF.  Ralph Houk.  .514 career win pct.  Both WS wins came in his first two seasons as manager.  Then he won the pennant his 3rd year.  Then 17 more years of not making the playoffs again.  

Right now, MS is the 34h most tenured manager in baseball history.  There are 12 others with more managerial seasons.  12 of which are not in the hall of fame.  Of those 12, seven of them have not won a WS.  Of the 5 that have, 2 of them are Leland and Bochy.  Another, Chuck Tanner, had a .495 career win pct.  

So there are really only two manager's in Scioscia's class with a better than .500 regular season record and a WS win who aren't in the HOF.  

Lou Piniella - .517 win pct, 1 WS win.  7 playoff appearances.  

The other is Ralph Houk - mentioned above. 

Here's an interesting comp

Manager X - 24 seasons, .540 win pct,  .467 playoff win pct., 1 WS, 3 pennants. HOF  

Scioscia - 18 seasons, .541 win pct, .438 playoff win pct, 1 WS, 1 pennant.  

4 hours ago, red321 said:

I think he has to win at least another World Series title. How many managers are in the hall to begin with...and of those how many only have 1 series title?

Their playoff record since has been spotty with quite a few disappointing seasons mixed in. I don't think he makes it in

On 4/7/2017 at 8:23 PM, Dochalo said:

So Bochy and Francona are pretty much locks.  Which means that there is one manager with 2 WS wins who is not in the HOF.  Ralph Houk.  .514 career win pct.  Both WS wins came in his first two seasons as manager.  Then he won the pennant his 3rd year.  Then 17 more years of not making the playoffs again.  

Right now, MS is the 34h most tenured manager in baseball history.  There are 12 others with more managerial seasons.  12 of which are not in the hall of fame.  Of those 12, seven of them have not won a WS.  Of the 5 that have, 2 of them are Leland and Bochy.  Another, Chuck Tanner, had a .495 career win pct.  

So there are really only two manager's in Scioscia's class with a better than .500 regular season record and a WS win who aren't in the HOF.  

Lou Piniella - .517 win pct, 1 WS win.  7 playoff appearances.  

The other is Ralph Houk - mentioned above. 

Here's an interesting comp

Manager X - 24 seasons, .540 win pct,  .467 playoff win pct., 1 WS, 3 pennants. HOF  

Scioscia - 18 seasons, .541 win pct, .438 playoff win pct, 1 WS, 1 pennant.  

Tom Lasorda? 

Scioscia will get into the HOF for his overall work as Angels manager for 20 plus years and his playing career as one of the best plate blocking catchers of all time.

He wouldn't make it solely as a player and I think he's not quite there solely as a manager.

But the combination of his playing career and managing career gets him in -- however that non-voted in route works.

12 hours ago, disarcina said:

Scioscia will get into the HOF for his overall work as Angels manager for 20 plus years and his playing career as one of the best plate blocking catchers of all time.

He wouldn't make it solely as a player and I think he's not quite there solely as a manager.

But the combination of his playing career and managing career gets him in -- however that non-voted in route works.

As a player and Manager:  2 WS championships, 2 MOY, top 20 managerial wins.  The only thing that would stop him from getting into the hall is if he retires within the next seven years.  That would mean he would have to manager after his contract runs out for the Angels.  I am guessing he is not extended if he doesn't win a WS before it expires.  But he will be picked up by another team. 

well, I think Sosh needs to have a winning season in 2017 or it's curtains for him with the Halos......he may not get fired, but he could very well get kicked upstairs much like Tommy Lasorda did with the Dodgers (ironic, because it was probably Lasorda who sabotaged his career as possible Manager-in-waiting in Albuquerque).

And unless things change overnight with the Halos rotation, I think we're looking at 74 win season in 2017.......not exactly .500 ball.

I think Sosh probably gets into HOF with 20 managerial seasons with the Halos (isn't this number 20?) and his playing days with the Dodgers.......he gets voted in by the veterans' committee or the non-voted IN route.

As for managers - in today's MLB world -- how many 20 season managers with one team is MLB going to see any more? Sosh may be the last one.

Bruce Bochy is close -- what did he have with San Diego ? 17 years or something like that and now going on 12 or whatever it is with the SF Giants.

But, seriously, in today's 'gotta win now' instant gratification, 'what have you done for me lately' society -- 20 years a manager for one team? Don't see it happening again, anytime soon, if ever.

Then, there's the Los Angeles Kings -- GM and Coach with TWO Stanley Cups in six years but miss the playoffs two years in a row and it's BYE BYE.

Maybe we can get Daryl Sutter to replace Sosh.  Post game press conferences would be shorter and less predictible.