• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Controversial article on baseball today?

Jayson Stark of ESPN speculates why great baseball players aren't nearly as "well-known" to the general public as basketball and football stars. He seems to be saying that baseball is in trouble due to this, for some reason. I pretty much disagree with his premise, to begin with, but agree about baseball being more of a team oriented sport that cant be dominated by single players. Just too many variables in baseball.

There is also some discussion as to why Mike Trout has not reached the popularity of Michael Jordan or Tom Brady. I think part of this is that many of the stars of basketball and football seem to find themselves in controversy, which gets reported, which gets noticed by the John Q. Public, which shows up in polls like the one in the article. Probably the most controversial thing Mike Trout has done is change lanes on the Orange Freeway without signaling, or something.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19074938/where-all-mlb-superstars-gone

His most faulty premise is that he feels football and basketball are someplace that baseball should aspire to when, in fact, NBA attendance and viewing continues it's downward spiral and football has a huge white elephant in the room with the whole CTE thing. 

I like that baseball is a team thing first and individual players second. I sure hope Man-Freddy doesn't go ballistic over this article and start cramming stars down our throats. I like the laid-back demeanor of KB and Trout. Bryce is a bit much for me, at times, but the kid is young and I am pretty old at 64.

Should make for some good discussion.

Mile Trout isn't at that level because he is not marketable, end of story. With Jordan, you had a kid reaching heights that fellow African American children growing up in disadvantaged neighborhood could aspire to. He flew, like no one else at the time. Jordan may or may not be the best basketball player ever, but he is by far the most marketable.

Babe Ruth, was larger than life and did something no one else could at the time, hit the ball very hard and very far. He was a boisterous presence. He was marketable. 

Even Griffey Jr. with the backwards hat and Bonds with the earring we're relatable.

Trout is better than every single one of them. But he's a white kid from a middle class family in a middle class town. He doesn't talk when he doesn't need to. He plays the game and is pure and genuine. He wears normal looking clothes and has normal hobbies. The media can't market him because middlw class white kids aren't where the market is. That market is already saturated.

If you love the game of baseball, you're fascinated by Mike Trout. If you like the game of baseball, you simply agree that he's really really good. If you don't care about baseball, Mike Trout is just another guy.

Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan had the unique capability of reaching an audience that otherwise wouldn't care about their sport. But that isn't Trout.

He will inevitably go down as one of the best, or possibly the best ball player of all time. And the crazy part is, he'll still be underrated, because that's how much better Mike is than everyone else.

Mike Trout isn't marketable for many different reasons. I think "not controversial" and "middle class suburban white kid" are about as low on the list as you can get.

Jordan wasn't controversial. He was famously known for not taking a stand on things in stark contrast to Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Mohammad Ali. He inspired the generation that followed to be as uncontroversial as possible. Also he didn't make his money selling to poor black kids in the inner cities. He made his money from companies that sold to middle class white kids from the suburbs. 

A major issue for baseball is that it's hyper regional and it's every night. I can watch the Angels every night (maybe 3-4 days off a month). I'm going to watch the Angels when I can so I pretty much only see them and their opponents play.

As was mentioned, the usage rate of NBA players is much greater than in MLB. If I watch an MLB game, Mike Trout is up 1/9 of the time and the ball is hit to him even less often and most of those are pretty routine. If I'm watching a basketball game, the star players are involved in at least 50% of the plays in some way.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Mile Trout isn't at that level because he is not marketable, end of story. With Jordan, you had a kid reaching heights that fellow African American children growing up in disadvantaged neighborhood could aspire to. He flew, like no one else at the time. Jordan may or may not be the best basketball player ever, but he is by far the most marketable.

Babe Ruth, was larger than life and did something no one else could at the time, hit the ball very hard and very far. He was a boisterous presence. He was marketable. 

Even Griffey Jr. with the backwards hat and Bonds with the earring we're relatable.

Trout is better than every single one of them. But he's a white kid from a middle class family in a middle class town. He doesn't talk when he doesn't need to. He plays the game and is pure and genuine. He wears normal looking clothes and has normal hobbies. The media can't market him because middlw class white kids aren't where the market is. That market is already saturated.

If you love the game of baseball, you're fascinated by Mike Trout. If you like the game of baseball, you simply agree that he's really really good. If you don't care about baseball, Mike Trout is just another guy.

Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan had the unique capability of reaching an audience that otherwise wouldn't care about their sport. But that isn't Trout.

He will inevitably go down as one of the best, or possibly the best ball player of all time. And the crazy part is, he'll still be underrated, because that's how much better Mike is than everyone else.

You could throw Tiger Woods into that discussion. I think your assessment is spot on. I would add that the team aspect is not attractive to your everyday, casual fan as the OP stated.

"Mike Trout is better than all of them"

I love Mike Trout but I hope I misread that. You are not suggesting Trout a better than Babe Ruth?  

Mike Trout isn't marketable not because he is a white kid you had "normal activities" 

I like Jordan or Brady he has not shown any heroics on the biggest stage.  Jordan just wasnt a great basketball player.   He was so dominated through six world championships.   Brady dominated through multiple duper bowels.  They were great on the greatest stage.  Trout had one poor playoff appearance.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

I love Mike Trout but I hope I misread that. You are not suggesting Trout a better than Babe Ruth?  

Mike Trout isn't marketable not because he is a white kid you had "normal activities" 

I like Jordan or Brady he has not shown any heroics on the biggest stage.  Jordan just wasnt a great basketball player.   He was so dominated through six world championships.   Brady dominated through multiple duper bowels.  They were great on the greatest stage.  Trout had one poor playoff appearance.

So Reggie Jackson was known as Mr October because of his postseason prowess so Mike Trout must be Miss October? 

Yep I think the Big Stage would mean a lot to Mike Trout. He certainly works hard enough to deserve it.

If Trout goes super Christian like Tebow...

38 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Yeah, I had a bit of a chuckle on that one. Trout is great no doubt and I like him as much as any Angel fan, but he hasn't ascended the heights of Ruth and I doubt that he will. (none really have imo) It's a little early and yet to be determined just where Trout's place in the game will wind up so I think a little more time needs to pass before people start anointing Trout as the best ever.

As to Trout's marketability or popularity on a national scale, I think there are numerous things that capture the fans fancy and Trout has many of those traits. If Trout continues to rack up great seasons his overall popularity will grow..just give it time. 

35 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I like Jordan or Brady (but) he has not shown any heroics on the biggest stage.  Jordan just wasnt a great basketball player.   He was so dominated through six world championships.   Brady dominated through multiple duper bowels.  They were great on the greatest stage.  Trout had one poor playoff appearance.

yeah, this is it in a nutshell. for as amazing as trout is, he hasn't won a championship or come close to one. that matters, whether we like to admit it or not.

and storm, your auto correct needs some fine tuning. 

44 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Yeah, I genuinely believe Mike Trout is a better baseball player the Babe Ruth was.  Ruth played in different era, against regionalized competition, against guys throwing 600 innings a year, in ball parks that sometimes had fences 260 feet away, and other times 500 feet.  He played when baseball wasn't a profession as much as it was a competition. 

Mike Trout plays against the best in the world, who are better than anyone Ruth ever faced.  He plays on an international stage, against highly specialized pitchers, against professionals who devote their time and energy toward getting better. 

Mike is bigger, stronger, faster than the Babe was.  It's just the natural progression of the game.  No one was close to as good as Babe in the 1920's, and no one is all that close to Trout 90 years later. 

Heck with Babe Ruth. I'm not sure Trout is as good as a player that some of us saw play..............Willie Mays.  660 HRs. 338 steals. 140 TRIPLES!!! How about 195 assists. Typically struck out only about 60-70 times/year in his hey day. Struck out only once over 100 times in a season.

Ruth's stats are untouchable, of course. 700+ HRs with a .342 lifetime average is unbelieveable.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Mike Trout is the best baseball player in the world but he's so humble and low key that he wouldn't be a good spokesperson for the game. I like that about him because he's real.

He's similar to Albert Pujols too.... low key, humble guy that helps children with down syndrome and other disabilities, truly a real human being don't you agree Claude?

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Yeah, I genuinely believe Mike Trout is a better baseball player the Babe Ruth was.  Ruth played in different era, against regionalized competition, against guys throwing 600 innings a year, in ball parks that sometimes had fences 260 feet away, and other times 500 feet.  He played when baseball wasn't a profession as much as it was a competition. 

Mike Trout plays against the best in the world, who are better than anyone Ruth ever faced.  He plays on an international stage, against highly specialized pitchers, against professionals who devote their time and energy toward getting better. 

Mike is bigger, stronger, faster than the Babe was.  It's just the natural progression of the game.  No one was close to as good as Babe in the 1920's, and no one is all that close to Trout 90 years later. 

Talk to me when. TROUT pitches a no hitter and wins 20 games.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

yeah, this is it in a nutshell. for as amazing as trout is, he hasn't won a championship or come close to one. that matters, whether we like to admit it or not.

and storm, your auto correct needs some fine tuning. 

Agreed tank.  The auto correct has been a pain in the ass for over a year now.

24 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Heck with Babe Ruth. I'm not sure Trout is as good as a player that some of us saw play..............Willie Mays.  660 HRs. 338 steals. 140 TRIPLES!!! How about 195 assists. Typically struck out only about 60-70 times/year in his hey day. Struck out only once over 100 times in a season.

Ruth's stats are untouchable, of course. 700+ HRs with a .342 lifetime average is unbelieveable.

No argument on Mays.

4 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

the most controversial thing Mike Trout has done is change lanes on the Orange Freeway without signaling

You shut your filthy mouth!  Mike Trout has never ... I repeat, NEVER, changed lanes in Orange County without signaling!!!