• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

0-7 with 5 K's

First, yes its one game, but holy sheesh man....five k's from the #8 and #9 spot....Maldonado's first AB....five pitches, bat never left his shoulder.  His next two AB's...he looked totally lost.  

He was great behind the plate, really quite, but can we have a catcher who can hit....seriously...

Espinosa....I knew the strike outs were going to be a thing, but....

You cant succeed with two spots in the line up at .200 or below.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

Not sure what this offense will do but I feel pretty confident that Maybin and Revere will be a whole lot better than the garbage we've run out to LF for the last year seasons....

Should have kept Joyce.

24 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

To be fair, Espinosa came close to winning that game. That shot he hit in the 9th would've left most parks. But it was a cool night in Oalkland, in a pitcher friendly park. 

Yet others crushed balls over the fence last night.

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Yeah he definitely burned them the second time. I think .240 20 HR's and 10 SB couples with sparkling defense should be where he's at this year. Miles ahead of the last two years. 

If he can do this, I'd be happy...

Of course I start this thread and both of the them have very solid games.  Maldando behind the plate is pretty sick.  He looked better at the plate last night, still going to be a long season with them together.  MS needs to separate them in the bottom of the line up.

2 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

If he can do this, I'd be happy...

Of course I start this thread and both of the them have very solid games.  Maldando behind the plate is pretty sick.  He looked better at the plate last night, still going to be a long season with them together.  MS needs to separate them in the bottom of the line up.

What a catcher does outside of the batter's box has an unquantifiable effect on the result of the game. A good catcher stops runners from advancing dead in their tracks. A good catcher turns balls into strikes, head case rookies look like seasoned veterans. A good catcher expands an ump's strike zone, forcing hitters into pitcher's counts and generating weak contact. A good catcher controls the pace of the game to fit his teams needs and is the glue that keeps different personalities on the same wavelength.

Even a good defensive catcher falls short in so many areas, including guys like Mathis. But Martin Maldonado and Carlos Perez do not fall short. At least Martin doesn't, Carlos is learning.

In the future, we'll find a way to quantify the difference between a Martin Maldonado and a catcher with a flashier game. 

If the Angels do indeed pull off an upset and make the playoffs, it will of course be because of Mike Trout, but after that, it will fall on catchers.

Since this thread started (meaning, take away the first game)...
Maybin: .364/.417/.636/.1.053 - HR, RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
Maldonado: .364/.417/.455/.871 - 2B, 2 RBI
Espinosa: .182/.308/.455/.762 - HR, 5 RBI, 4 K

Maldonado looks fantastic behind the plate - anything he contributes offensively is a plus. 
Maybin is showing signs that he's going to be exactly what we need - lots of contact and speed from LF. 
Espinosa looks like Espinosa - low average with some homers, good defense, and a lot of K's