• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Nick Franklin - OF - Rays Rays designated INF/OF Nick Franklin for assignment.

Chuck

Can we release Pennington and pick this guy up? 

This move comes as a huge surprise as the former top prospect slashed .362/.434/.532 with a pair of homers, eight RBI and four stolen bases in Grapefruit League play. There should be plenty of other teams willing to take a chance on him so it would be shocking if he isn't claimed off waivers.

Pennington has a guaranteed contract......I doubt he has any market and although we don't appear to be in quite the financial bind we've been in, I doubt we eat his money just to clear a roster spot....Maybin, Chavez, Revere Espinoza are much better than the trash we've signed the last couple of years but we still aren't spending like drunkin sailors....if we could get Franklin, I'd consider it but I doubt it will be at Pennington's expense....

Right up Eppler's alley.  Problem is that he's not going to pass through Waivers so we'd have to add him to the 40 man.  He's also out of options.  So you'd need to have him replace either Marte or Pennington.  While I'd have no problem ditching pennington, Franklin isn't as good defensively and pennington is still owed some money so I don't see it happening.  I'd rather have Marte than Franklin at this point. 

I'd trade Marte for Franklin in a heartbeat. Much as he holds a special place in my heart for those longballs, I'm not convinced it is sustainable. Franklin was better in the minors, can play every position Marte does, and also cover 2B and SS. 

I'd rather keep Marte and deal Pennington, but if it has to be Jefry Marte, so be it.

34 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'd trade Marte for Franklin in a heartbeat. Much as he holds a special place in my heart for those longballs, I'm not convinced it is sustainable. Franklin was better in the minors, can play every position Marte does, and also cover 2B and SS. 

I'd rather keep Marte and deal Pennington, but if it has to be Jefry Marte, so be it.

cray cray bro.  Marte is gonna be the man in 2 year.s  No way I make that trade.  

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

i'm gonna have to disagree with you there. i'd like to add franklin in place of pennington, but not at the expense of marte.

Nick Franklin is a better version of Grant Green.  He always looks like he should be good, has all the moves, the presence, the physical skills..   

I think the Mariners handled him terribly at age 22/23 and it's hurt him, but I also think that like Grant Green he will always be viewed as the player he should be and not what he actually is.  Better glove, better plate discipline, but the same tendency to not tap into those raw tools.  Was his 2016 a sign he turned the page?  Possibly....   But I always have a hard time buying into a guy who upon getting promoted completely blows away what he had been doing the same season in AAA and you have to wonder how he lost a roster spot to failed a prospect and ML pseudo has beens like Tim Beckham, Rickie Weeks, and Peter Bourjos.

Would I trade Marte for him?  Prolly not.  Marte is looking like the opposite kind of animal..   A guy with mediocre skills/tools who is actually willing himself to become a decent player.  Would I dump Pennington for him.    Certainly.   

Nick Franklin is an easy guy to root for, wish on.

No way would I dump Pennington for Franklin. Pennington is the type of veteran presence as a infield utility player the Angels need on the team. He helps seal the cracks when the is a leak. You need utility players like him on your playoff roster. 

Yea, I know he's not a top end utility player but he's ours. 

I don't think I would give up Marte for him but would absolutely give up Pennington for him.  He can play the same positions as Pennington, plus play the outfield, he's also better offensively than Pennington.  Franklin with his versatility should be a National Leaguer.  

25 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Franklin can play every infield position and all three outfield positions. He's a switch hitter with speed and pop. 

I'd dump Pennington for him in a heartbeat.  We have enough veteran presence on this team.

It's not easy for the Angels to announce the Opening Day roster and then change their mind a few hours later and hand a guy $2.5M to walk away. 

19 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

It's not easy for the Angels to announce the Opening Day roster and then change their mind a few hours later and hand a guy $2.5M to walk away. 

"Something suddenly came up!"-Marcia Brady

If Valbuena hadn't gotten hurt, building a trade with Marte and Franklin isn't the craziest idea (I think it may need to be expanded with a couple change of scenery arms like Morin and a Rays arm included) but with Valbuena already hurt I'm a little hesitant to deal Marte.

Franklin would be nice but I don't see a match. 

6 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

No way would I dump Pennington for Franklin. Pennington is the type of veteran presence as a infield utility player the Angels need on the team. He helps seal the cracks when the is a leak. You need utility players like him on your playoff roster. 

Yea, I know he's not a top end utility player but he's ours. 

Guys like Pennington are some of the most easily replaceable players in baseball. I don't know a thing about Franklin, but it sounds like offers a fair amount more value to the team. Make the move Eppler.

In almost equivalent playing time, Pennington pulled in twice as much WAR as Franklin - .4 to .2.

Yeah yeah there's a difference in age, cost, and upside, and I too would take Franklin in a heartbeat, but people here are a little hard on Pennington when he is actually a pretty reasonable UT IF.