• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The 10 weirdest minor league baseball team names, ranked

JAHV76

Orem Owlz really isn't that strange when you look at other minor league squads.Our former AA affiliate the Travelers was always unique. Our new AA affiliate is the Mobile Bay Bears, and as far as I know, there aren't any bears out there. We also named our Cal League affiliate after a highway.

17 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Orem Owlz really isn't that strange when you look at other minor league squads.Our former AA affiliate the Travelers was always unique. Our new AA affiliate is the Mobile Bay Bears, and as far as I know, there aren't any bears out there. We also named our Cal League affiliate after a highway.

Honestly, I thought the guy writing the article saying "just spell it with an S".... was just kind of ignorant.  The reason they spell it with a Z is because of the state's history with team names ending in or containing the letter Z.   It started with the Utah Jazz, but the Buzz, Blitz, Catzz, Pioneerzz, Freezz, Starzz..  It's such a thing there that when the Raptors first entered the NBA, their motto was  "All the fun, none of the ZZs", or something like that..   People that follow our minor league teams might remember that when the Buzz changed their name to the Bees, there were some locals that asked why they didn't go with Beez instead..    Anyways... the Owlz and the Blaze of the AFL are both basically following/honoring the long tradition of Z teams..

On 3/31/2017 at 10:45 PM, Scotty@AW said:

Dude there are bears everywhere. Lots of black bears in Alabama. 

13 minutes ago, loofah faced shit gibbon said:

New Orleans Baby Cakes!

They could have gone with Voodoo, Vampires, Jazz, or stayed as the Zephyrs.

They chose Baby Cakes.

There's no accounting for taste.