• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Recipe of the Day: Pressure Cooker Beef Brisket

Pressure Cooker Beef Brisket

My family has always cooked our Passover brisket in the oven, low and slow. It’s delicious, but takes over three hours to make! This year, I wanted to see if I could speed up the process using a pressure cooker.

And you know what? You can.

Using a pressure cooker, you can make tender, deeply flavorful brisket with a thick, rich gravy in about half the time!

Continue reading "Pressure Cooker Beef Brisket" »

SvAGxEuD88U

View the full article

• 2 months later...

I smoked a brisket over Easter...best damn thing I have ever cooked. I have an electric smoker.

Started with a 4lb brisket after I trimmed most of the fat off. Trim it so you have about 1/4 inch of fat on one side. Ended up with two pieces, about 2lbs. each and about 1/2 pound which I cooked for about 12 hours and had for breakfast.

Mustard slather - simple yellow mustard...nothing fancy...coat the brisket in a thin layer of mustard

Seasoning - simple is best...kosher salt and cracked pepper...didn't make sure every square centimeter was covered...but a healthy amount over the brisket...let's say 50% coverage

Wood: Oak and nothing else.

Place fat side up for first go round so cooking fat "drains" into the brisket.

I would say longer is better...I did 16 hours at 275. Turned it every 4 hours or so. After first 4 hours sprayed with apple juice every hour or so (though I will admit between the hours of 2am and 6am I said fuck it and didn't drag my ass out of bed to spray it.

Pulled it off grill and wrapped it in foil until needed. let it sit for 5 minutes or so when I was ready to carve it.

Do you have a smoker or are you using a gas grill with smoker box?

1 hour ago, red321 said:

I smoked a brisket over Easter...best damn thing I have ever cooked. I have an electric smoker.

Started with a 4lb brisket after I trimmed most of the fat off. Trim it so you have about 1/4 inch of fat on one side. Ended up with two pieces, about 2lbs. each and about 1/2 pound which I cooked for about 12 hours and had for breakfast.

Mustard slather - simple yellow mustard...nothing fancy...coat the brisket in a thin layer of mustard

Seasoning - simple is best...kosher salt and cracked pepper...didn't make sure every square centimeter was covered...but a healthy amount over the brisket...let's say 50% coverage

Wood: Oak and nothing else.

Place fat side up for first go round so cooking fat "drains" into the brisket.

I would say longer is better...I did 16 hours at 275. Turned it every 4 hours or so. After first 4 hours sprayed with apple juice every hour or so (though I will admit between the hours of 2am and 6am I said fuck it and didn't drag my ass out of bed to spray it.

Pulled it off grill and wrapped it in foil until needed. let it sit for 5 minutes or so when I was ready to carve it.

Do you have a smoker or are you using a gas grill with smoker box?

I have a charcoal drum style bbq and use indirect heat with chunks of oak. 

I may be setting myself up for failure, unless I start my coals at 5:00am.  I had planned on prepping like you did - mustard covered in simple salt/pepper.  Might add some granulated garlic and/or onion. 

3 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

I have a charcoal drum style bbq and use indirect heat with chunks of oak. 

I may be setting myself up for failure, unless I start my coals at 5:00am.  I had planned on prepping like you did - mustard covered in simple salt/pepper.  Might add some granulated garlic and/or onion. 

Lot more work on your part then having to keep the temperature consistent for hours and hours.

I had that problem on the first brisket I did as well...figured, if 1/4 inch was good...1/2 inch was even better! Lost a lot the smoke flavor since you had to cut off a bunch of fat before you could eat it and smoke couldn't penetrate through a layer of fat that big. (someone feel free to insert a joke here)

Looks good though...next time will be even better!

Nice looking brisket there, nice smoke ring.

You mentioned you did that on a charcoal drum BBQ.  I'm wondering how you managed to keep the temperature down.

You got skills man.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nice looking brisket there, nice smoke ring.

You mentioned you did that on a charcoal drum BBQ.  I'm wondering how you managed to keep the temperature down.

You got skills man.

Thank you!  A couple things I do to keep the heat down, and it seems counter-intuitive, but it works for me:

1) Make sure there's a nice blanket of ash in the fire grate.  I've experienced that a clean fire grate results in higher, uncontrollable temps

2) I use lump charcoal, I fill my chimney starter and dump it when the charcoal is half on fire, half charcoal (if that makes sense).  I don't let the charcoal get completely ashen, that way it burns slower, and cooler.  Usually this way, the hottest I get my grill is about 300.  Then I can control it using airflow and separating hot spots

20 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Thank you!  A couple things I do to keep the heat down, and it seems counter-intuitive, but it works for me:

1) Make sure there's a nice blanket of ash in the fire grate.  I've experienced that a clean fire grate results in higher, uncontrollable temps

2) I use lump charcoal, I fill my chimney starter and dump it when the charcoal is half on fire, half charcoal (if that makes sense).  I don't let the charcoal get completely ashen, that way it burns slower, and cooler.  Usually this way, the hottest I get my grill is about 300.  Then I can control it using airflow and separating hot spots

So then you add oak chunks and you have a wood fire instead of a charcoal fire? Or do you keep adding charcoal?

You need to make a YouTube video.

I watched a few videos of smoking briskets on an electric smoker. Super convenient but none of the briskets had a smoke ring. This is unacceptable.

I use my gas grill and smoker box when I do pork ribs and I usually get a smoke ring, even though I only have about 1 hour of smoke. I definitely want to up my smoking game but not sure if I should go with the electric, or offset, or bullet, or other. Your method is very intriguing.

I've had plenty of luck getting smoke ring with electric smoker. I bought the external smoke box, which allows me to load up with wood chips and not have to go add chips every 20 minutes. 

Wicked. I haven't had much luck with a gas grill and smoke box. Just not enough smoke. Might impart some flavor, but not much. 

2 hours ago, mrwicked said:

i have a gas grill, but want to try smoking.

do you guys use a smoker box, or do you use the tin foil route? 

jay what smoker box do you recommend?

just something like this? https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/smoking-woods/smoker-box

Yeah that's pretty much what I have. There's some trial-and-error in getting the desired amount and duration of the smoke. When you're using a gas grill the flame has to be high enough to burn the wood chips but you want to have as low a temperature inside the grill as possible.

Typically this is what I do if I want to smoke some back ribs. I fill my smoker box about 2/3 with dry wood chips, and 1/3 with wood chips that have been soaking for at least 15 minutes. So the dry chips are on the bottom and the soaked chips are on top.

My gas grill has 3 burners. I place the smoker box as close as possible directly above one of the burners. I then fire up the grill, all three burners to get the grill heated. I usually set the burners to medium-high to pre-heat, but it depends on the grill. The burner under the wood chips should be on the high side, to get the wood chips started.

A few minutes later the wood chips will start to burn and you can smell them, and start to see some smoke. At that point I turn off all the burners except the one under the wood chips.

Then I put the meat on, in the area where the burners are off. Typically I turn down the burner under the wood chips but if you turn it down too much the chips may stop burning. This is the trial and error part.

As you start to see more smoke you can turn down the burner, to medium or maybe lower, to slow down the burning of the wood chips and keep the temperature lower inside the grill. You don't need a ton of smoke, you just want to see a little coming out from your grill. The key is a longer duration of smoke.

Then you just keep an eye on it and when the chips have all burned obviously the smoke will really slow down. There will be a noticeable decrease in the amount of smoke. On my setup this will be about 1 to 1.25 hours. About halfway through that time I might flip the ribs or rotate them, move the ones closest to the heat away from the heat, etc. You can also spray your ribs with juice if you want, to help keep them moist.

Then I put the ribs on a rack in a roasting pan with some juice, cover the pan with foil and put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about another hour. You'll smell them when they're done, could be less than an hour.

When you're ready to eat, sauce the ribs and throw them back out on a hot grill for a few minutes and serve.

Works for me, I think you'll enjoy them. It's a labor of love.

If I were to cook a brisket I would do exactly the same thing except more time in the oven after the smoke.

Edit: one other thing, on the smoker box I don't recommend cast iron, stick to the sheet metal ones.